Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibringdoom98
    • May 2013

I've seen alligator meat sold at a grocery store I used to frequent in college. Never could bring myself to try it, though.

Is there any particular reason those RO alligator jackets were made in France rather than Italy or Moldova like his other leather jackets?

Comment

• Ahimsa
      Vegan Police
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      /\ I think he is referring to the less exotic offerings that my comment referred to. In this case, it is true. Leather is only 10-20% of the monetary value of an animal such as a cow. It's simply not worth killing a cow for leather.
      At that percentage it's more of a co-product than a byproduct though. It helps subsidize meat and brings the cost down. Like I don't think they would do one without doing the other.

Originally posted by ibringdoom98 View Post
      I've seen alligator meat sold at a grocery store I used to frequent in college. Never could bring myself to try it, though.

Is there any particular reason those RO alligator jackets were made in France rather than Italy or Moldova like his other leather jackets?
      It's not that bad. It's something aquatic that doesn't taste like seafood, and anything is better than seafood in my opinion lol.
      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• profondo nero
        • Aug 2012

400th!

Originally posted by Pumpfish
        Bring the dancing fatties!

Originally posted by Macro
        i'd fuck every one of 'em

Comment

• TarHeart
          • Jun 2009

For many this is not a big surprise, but anyway...

Guessing game. Jil Sander or COS? Hmmm...

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
            At that percentage it's more of a co-product than a byproduct though. It helps subsidize meat and brings the cost down. Like I don't think they would do one without doing the other.
            You are wrong on this one. The cost of leather has been going up steadily because of the rising of vegetarianism in the developed West which results in fewer animals being slaughtered. If it was a co-product, this would not be happening.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ErnstLudwig
              • Oct 2011

problem of mass production: quality of good hides is steadily decreasing, possibly too much weight gain in a too short time frame. If I remember correctly <10% of the hides are actually useful and it is getting worse...

But seriously, ostrich meat for example is a byproduct of the ostrich leather industry.
              really? I always thought the farms aim for the meat, at least as their main reliable income source.

It's not that bad. It's something aquatic that doesn't taste like seafood, and anything is better than seafood in my opinion lol.
              Cold-blooded animal... I found it really really dry & rather lacking taste of its own

Comment

• interest1
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ErnstLudwig View Post

Cold-blooded animal... I found it really really dry & rather lacking taste of its own
                I'm not trying to sound like a bumper sticker here, but I heard it tastes like chicken. Seriously! There's this indie pizza place known for incorporating it as a topping, and that's the description most people who've tried it give.
                sain't

Comment

• Raw
                  • Oct 2009

I've eaten crocodile and love it
                  Tastes like a mix between chicken and fish, like fish but the meat is much more firm. Actually kinda similar to lobster, I've only had it cooked Asian style so there was never any lack in flavour.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    You are wrong on this one. The cost of leather has been going up steadily because of the rising of vegetarianism in the developed West which results in fewer animals being slaughtered. If it was a co-product, this would not be happening.
                    Glad to hear.

Although meat consumption/production worldwide has been increasing due to demand from developing countries such as China and India :(
                    (obviously population growth as well)

Originally posted by ErnstLudwig View Post

really? I always thought the farms aim for the meat, at least as their main reliable income source.
                    As of 2008, in South Africa, about 80% of the profit comes from the leather. Though I know ostrich meat sales have been rising due to the demand for a healthier alternative to red meat.
                    Bloomberg is now reporting that meat makes up about 60% of revenue? Maybe people really got into ostrich meat in the last few years.
                    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• the breaks
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by TarHeart View Post
                      For many this is not a big surprise, but anyway...

Guessing game. Jil Sander or COS? Hmmm...
                      Please.

The first ones don't even look the same, one has raglan sleeves and the other does not. One has contrast cuffs and the other does not (as far as i can tell from the bad picture). The second one is just a standard sweater design you can basically find in any high street shop at any given time.
                      Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Bson
                        • May 2013

Fellow men, look no further. No more going to Chelsea to get your lacy lingerie

http://www.luisaviaroma.com/index.as...e&ItemTag=true

Comment

• Crowzer
                          • Feb 2011

The Versace underwears are also not to bad.

Comment

• TarHeart
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
                            Please.

The first ones don't even look the same, one has raglan sleeves and the other does not. One has contrast cuffs and the other does not (as far as i can tell from the bad picture). The second one is just a standard sweater design you can basically find in any high street shop at any given time.
                            Of course they are not identical.

I think you are a little naive there.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

Ahh, that explains all the snake, alligator, and stingray meat I've been seeing for sale...

But seriously, ostrich meat for example is a byproduct of the ostrich leather industry.
                              Come on down to Texas!!!

But really though, the jacket is not a surprise from Rick... lets not forget his Revillon stint and his crazy amounts of mink, sable, chinchilla etc. used for his furniture/homewares as well as for his womens lines. Rick has always been about excess.
                              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• interest1
                                • Nov 2008

^ And don't forget the furry monster babies! After all these years, still wish I had one.
                                sain't

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎