X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LelandJ
    Banned
    • Apr 2014

Or perhaps geobaskets are really more apropos for the pop aesthetic. My first and final impression of them are what I'd expect to see a hip teenager who listens to Jay-Z on his Dr Dre headphones to wear at a midwestern mall.

Originally posted by PandorasFate View Post
    Oh. My. God. I was perusing stylelikeyou under other motivation and found his "closet."

Sweet Christ on a cracker, someone get me a dsm-V and read the entry on narcissistic personality disorder, or its clinical equivalent.
    This is a type of skit you'd expect to see on SNL but find grating to watch for lack of any subtlety or intelligence in the caricature application, like everything else on SNL and pop "comedy."

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
      1966, in Negative Dialectics!

He was talking about something similar to what Deleuze thought of the Idea, which is a redeployable seed which can be turned into concepts again and again. Trouble is, we can't perceive that fantastic and infinite Idea, and so need to turn it into a concept which has definite borders. For Adorno, that includes placing the then conceptualized idea into a reified commodity.

I think that what is happening here is that our conceptualization of this "aesthetic" is becoming very much threatened by the new conceptualization of the same aesthetic by the industry of popular culture. That's why people are becoming upset in this thread—those celebrities are removing the magic and mystery from it, and placing it into a one-dimensional marketplace.
      I'd say they are removing its substance while keeping the aesthetic trappings (on the most basic level), and that'd what upsets some people.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rickandjulius
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by BodyDouble View Post
        ^but you're totally cool with Justin Beiber, John Mayer, Lil Wayne, Randy Jackson, Fergie, Will.I.Am and countless others wearing them and all other Rick / Drkshdw stuff yeah?
        Yeah because since I only mentioned one artist, I'm clearly down with the rest of them wearing it. Flawless logic.

Comment

• profondo nero
          • Aug 2012

lmaoo I'm dead

Comment

• Arcane
            • Jul 2008

Fuck me, you're a bunch of cunts aren't you?

Wear what you like to wear, if popstars wearing a certain piece or brand affect your opinion of said piece, you might do well to consider if you're just wearing shit and posting waywts for show. If you actually like something, trivial things like that shouldn't really bother you.

Also, I agree with the Adorno quote, spot on.
            Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by rickandjulius View Post

horrifying video

....I don't want to sound elitist but I'd really rather not be associated with people like this....
              i can't believe this is a thing

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
              what the fuck is right. that douche ruined a CLASSIC track:

and a classic video

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
              That guy is extremely punchable but what I seriously don't understand is why anybody would pay for a pitbull feature in 2014? Is there some demographic I don't know of that enjoys him?
              he is the most inexplicable success i've ever seen. who in the world likes this guy?

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

Wear what you like to wear, if popstars wearing a certain piece or brand affect your opinion of said piece, you might do well to consider if you're just wearing shit and posting waywts for show. If you actually like something, trivial things like that shouldn't really bother you.
              this is a little bit too simple a stance in my opinion. if someone or something you hate starts to dress just like you or starts to jack something you like, i think its pretty natural to move on and find something else to like. its possible for things to become "tainted"

Originally posted by profondo nero View Post

when will the bass drop?

lmaoo I'm dead
              lololololol....perfect.
              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• newp
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

Also, I agree with the Adorno quote, spot on.
                You are wrong. I mean you are right, but you failed to see a source of disappointment.
                1. Humanity always used markings to divide one category of people from another. Tribal marks, country flags, emblems, football/soccer fans symbols etc.: all of them show that you belong to a specific category of people. And people around you build their opinion on you based on that fact, it could be stupid but it's the reality of life.
                2. Clothing and styles are no exception. Some brands are being adopted by subcultures to an extent you could easily be beaten to a pulp by a gang of chavs who saw you in a specific (totally casual from your pov but not from their) clothing.
                3. So, if a specific layer of one subculture adopts a specific brand, opinion of people on someone wearing this brand/following this aesthetic is built based on he is a part of said subculture layer, do you want it or not.
                4. It's incredibly hard for one to completely ignore any opinions of him. And I believe a person in Rick is okay with someone thinking of him as nazgul cosplayer or a shaman, CDiem aesthetic follower doesn't care about looking like a homeless person from pov of someone not introduced to fashion, but as for me, personally, I don't want to be called an A$AP gang wannabee member or whatever because of what I wear.
                I won't stop wearing what I like. But I don't like they like it as well.

Comment

• #ruin
                  • Jul 2011

geobaskets are based on nike dunks, not sure why on earth any of you are taken aback by the likes of pitbull etc wearing them when it's a shoe that has been associated with hip hop culture for years.

hip hop culture has also been championing long tees since it started, so rick's long tees fit right in. sagging pants from hip hop culture started the whole designer drop crotch trend & rick sure loves them too. the list goes on, how could some of you have not seen this coming? baffling. a lot of celebrities were already wearing something close to the "rick silhouette" before the brand even existed, simply because a lot of what he designed is based on what they were wearing.
                  Last edited by #ruin; 05-19-2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by #ruin View Post
                    geobaskets are based on nike dunks, not sure why on earth any of you are taken aback by the likes of pitbull etc wearing them when it's a shoe that has been associated with hip hop culture for years.

hip hop culture has also been championing long tees since it started, so rick's long tees fit right in. sagging pants from hip hop culture started the whole designer drop crotch trend & rick sure loves them too. the list goes on, how could some of you have not seen this coming? baffling. a lot of celebrities were already wearing something close to the "rick silhouette" before the brand even existed, simply because a lot of what he designed is based on what they were wearing.
                    the fact that you don't know that this has been discussed ad nauseam here on sz is whats baffling. none of this is news. it just sucks.
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• #ruin
                      • Jul 2011

i'm fully aware it's old news and that's exactly why i was surprised by the reaction in the first place. from what some users were saying they obviously must've missed it though, so i did the regurgitating so to speak ^^.

for those who do know, isn't that even more of a reason not to complain? just accept it and move on, otherwise you'll just risk sounding like a broken record.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

I think that kid was just shockingly punchable is what did it.
                        bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• apathy!
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by #ruin View Post
                          i'm fully aware it's old news and that's exactly why i was surprised by the reaction in the first place. from what some users were saying they obviously must've missed it though, so i did the regurgitating so to speak ^^.

for those who do know, isn't that even more of a reason not to complain? just accept it and move on, otherwise you'll just risk sounding like a broken record.
                          Sure, Rick obviously takes inspiration from American streetwear and people who appreciate streetwear are certainly allowed to wear it.

The negative reaction come from (as newp said) being associated with shitty people like the dude posted in that music video. It's not really surprising that Rick's sneakers are popular within that kind of culture, but that doesn't make it less unpleasant.

I think a lot of people hate to see Rick's designs reduced to a hypebeast level.

Comment

• LelandJ
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2014

Perhaps y'all should consider clothing that's not hypebeastable.

Originally posted by profondo nero View Post

lmaoo I'm dead
                            I died at the bass button, then re-died at the head explosion. The five or six subsequent explosions plus seppuku were overkill though.

Comment

• apathy!
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
                              Perhaps y'all should consider clothing that's not hypebeastable.
                              Really anything is "hypebeastable". Adam Sandler could tomorrow decide to only wear Augusta.

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
                                Sure, Rick obviously takes inspiration from American streetwear and people who appreciate streetwear are certainly allowed to wear it.

The negative reaction come from (as newp said) being associated with shitty people like the dude posted in that music video. It's not really surprising that Rick's sneakers are popular within that kind of culture, but that doesn't make it less unpleasant.

I think a lot of people hate to see Rick's designs reduced to a hypebeast level.

I don't really think it's that important. Good for rick if he's selling to more markets and the particular "niche" he once appealed to isn't the only one purchasing his clothing. Him and michele have built a veritable empire and are successful compared to many who struggle. I still believe there will be a very small number of people that subscribe to the aesthetic rather comapred to those that will buy an item because of its perceived hype. Maybe a fuccboi here and there might have some geos or an intarsia but they won't be styled well.

I think i can compare this phenomenon with the burberry check for example that was displayed heavily by chavs(still is?) on items such as satchels or caps. These people were giving the brand a bad name but they weren't decked out in prorsum or anything. These items don't really represent the brand aesthetic or the vision of a designer by themselves. Same goes with a pair of geos thrown into a justin bieber fit.

As a whole i think if you were to take rick designs and showcase them to a mainstream public, they'd most likely find it fucking weird rather than really cool. This is why i believe rick is still far far away from having his name tainted by "mainstream culture".

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎