X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

It looks like the problem might be a simple, they forgot to drop the armhole/extend the armhole. I've been seeing this a lot recently and I'm wondering if it has to do with so many designers switching to overseas pattern makers. My gf knows someone who recently got laid off because they sent her pattern making job overseas too. Makes no sense to me for luxury design as having an in-house pattern maker is just the greatest thing.

FIT has even been stressing that you shouldn't learn that much pattern making because so many companies just do it overseas.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
      FIT has even been stressing that you shouldn't learn that much pattern making because so many companies just do it overseas.
      that is ridiculous. shameful...
      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• snafu
        • Apr 2008

I don't know too much but certainly the UK schools are pushing the importance of pattern making, but there is a huge difference between the job as a designer and job of pattern maker. Its rare to be both.

The places i have worked seem to see the pattern maker as second in command and have certainly recognised the importance of the relationship between designer and pattern maker. Obviously they don't make design decisions, but without them the designers work wouldn't be realised.

As far as i know Rick does all the design himself, i imagine he works closely with a pattern maker or two. But despite he being muscled, his models are a far cry from his body shape and this could be the reason why that area splits on people closer to rick's physique.

Comment

• Shucks
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by snafu View Post
          As far as i know Rick does all the design himself, i imagine he works closely with a pattern maker or two. But despite he being muscled, his models are a far cry from his body shape and this could be the reason why that area splits on people closer to rick's physique.

nope. i'm pretty much sample size (48). not even remotely built like rick. it's just a really poor construction detail in areas (pants/pods also) that are put under a lot of stress due to movement.

Comment

• snafu
            • Apr 2008

I know quality has gone down on certain aspects of the business, i think a lot of pieces are now produced in Moldova now (although i could be wrong). But lets not get into the quality/design argument again.
            But some things have improved he is now using goodyear welting in some of his footwear. I do actually remember seeing the same split on my friends leather, so this must be a common occurrence, i don't wear that much rick so my first hand experience is lacking.
            In the end of the day its not affecting his sales, and i can't see you not buying any more rick because of this. But yes you certainly would expect better; especially for the price. However there are plenty of other jackets out there that won't split in the pit.

Comment

• unwashed
              • Dec 2008

If it is really because of the patterns and not the materials used, then I'm surprised because Rick himself was a pattern maker. With this in mind I would say that he knows how to handle these kind of patterns.

Another construction failure lies with Rick's pockets for the 'dropcrotch'-pants. I always get holes due to seems breaking loose on the outerside of my pants below the pocket. And wind up bringing out my sewing machine and do it better myself.
              Grailed link

Comment

• other_animals
                • Mar 2012

I've had this issue come up with a number of my rick jackets, new and old, leather and cotton, etc. The pattern was just cut for a very specific physique (ie. slim slim slim, no broad backs allowed). Thankfully (yet still annoying), its an easy fix. I've actually had my tailor, put in a thick jersey panel in at the stress point in some of them, instead of just resewing the seam to relieve some of the stress and to prevent the seam from rebreaking.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                  I don't know too much but certainly the UK schools are pushing the importance of pattern making, but there is a huge difference between the job as a designer and job of pattern maker. Its rare to be both.

The places i have worked seem to see the pattern maker as second in command and have certainly recognised the importance of the relationship between designer and pattern maker. Obviously they don't make design decisions, but without them the designers work wouldn't be realised.
                  Higher end companies certainly treat their pattern makers well for the most part. At Alexander Wang for instance, they get treated extremely well from what I hear. However, one pattern maker might work for multiple companies, indicating that you have to be really good to keep your job, especially considering the pay some get. I hear about designers switching their pattern makers more often now. Not to mention you can also outsource your pattern making to pattern making companies locally. (my gf works at one currently)

But investors typically have the final say, so if it's profitable to outsource the pattern making then there is a good chance it will be done.

*FIT blew Parsons away in the last Fusion show so they must be doing something right.
                  StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• doldrums
                    • Dec 2008

laugh out loud

Comment

• Law
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
                      How innovative!

Comment

• deltapie
                        • Feb 2014

my perception of seams will never be the same
                        "Keep Mr. Saberi healthy — he knows too much

Comment

• Soul Pill
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by deltapie View Post
                          my perception of seams will never be the same
                          http://www.zara.com/uk/en/man/jacket...1p1984057.html

Comment

• 550BC
                            • Jan 2013

Oh zara....
                            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• PoorHarnden
                              • Jan 2014

ZARA hired someone who loved SZ

Comment

• deltapie
                                • Feb 2014

that "faux leather" looks like it could give you lead poisoning if you wore it too long.
                                "Keep Mr. Saberi healthy — he knows too much

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎