Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DudleyGray
    • Jul 2013

I must have missed those posts, I think I would remember telling people like that to fuck right off. I've definitely seen queer phobia from people who wear Rick and people from here, but they weren't "regulars" or whatever or people backlashing. But yeah, I get what you're saying, I actually was unaware of the gay connotations of HBA myself, I'm generally oblivious like that if that's not apparent by now. If that's their thing, I can respect the label a little more, even if not like it.
    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

yep. i clicked on the wtf thread.
      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• mrbeuys
        • May 2008

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
        A lot of kids seem to like to see his stuff as tough or macho rather than queer.
        Well, MOODY manages to cover all of those aspects. Ta da.
        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• KodakII
          • Sep 2008

For what its worth, Shayne is actually apart of the culture he is inspired by. I'm pretty excited to see how the brand will grow especially after the LVMH mentoring.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
            Is some of the backlash against HBA in places like this, then, similar in motivation to the backlash against some Rick stuff? I mean: is it like that (tacitly) homophobic outrage at Rick's more queer ventures which the fans of his leather jackets and sneakers don't find themselves comfortable with?

Or is HBA itself just another appropriation of gay culture from outside--hip-hop inspired fashion stealing the same things rock and metal fashion have been stealing for decades?

I ask with genuine curiosity, I don't wear HBA-style clothing, nor would I, but I don't have any great hatred for it--it's just a bunch of stuff that happens. Don't get the love, don't get the hate.
            Doesn't sound like genuine curiousity, FMC, but a chance to wave the poltiically correct flag. Sorry, you lost me on that one. If you've read the posts, you should obviously know that SZers don't like it because it's vulgar.

Really fucking tired of all the political correction policing.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

WTF has penetrated even Helsinki. Saw two daddies pushing their strollers yesterday, one in Gosha Rubchinsky, another one in KTZ.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DRRRK
                • Aug 2009

Yes, it's flashy and vulgar, but I'd still applaud the first few that exchange their Hipster uniforms for something different, even HBA. After that, I will frown at them of course.

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

no it's not what you're thinking, even if it's named 'chubby stick'...

Comment

• mikko
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    WTF has penetrated even Helsinki. Saw two daddies pushing their strollers yesterday, one in Gosha Rubchinsky, another one in KTZ.
                    Lol, WTF has always had a strong grasp with the Helsinki scene. Just browse the Hel Looks blog for more WTFisms here.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                      • Jul 2013

I would be quicker to think there were race/class undertones to the hostility than gender/sexuality. Not that I'm saying that those are the problem here, I think your last paragraph is likely accurate, but just that if there were any undertones in this thread, it would be race/class.
                      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Believe me, FMC, Jeremy Scott was the HBA of SZ's early days - ask any veteran. Nobody here ever indicated disliking HBA for covert homosexuality. You are seeing things you want to see.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

definitely never got any sort of homosexual vibes from HBA... just massive silkscreens and HBA logoed all over the stuff. If they hadn't paid celebs/stylists to wear it, no one would have given it a second thought. HBA is the Ed Hardy of 2014.
                          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• BodyDouble
                            • Jan 2014

HBA just looks like mid 90's club kid fashion.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember that store Red Balls in L.A. back in the 90's? HBA would definitely fit right in there.

I went to an HBA party once with Kingdom dj'ing. Maybe they were just toning it down for LA, but the crowd and HBA folks fit a very, very different vibe from the one they are selling.

Comment

• DRRRK
                              • Aug 2009

#borisbidjansaberi is the new #rickowens

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                                • Sep 2008

I thought this interview with the guy behind a Harnden rip off brand was all kinds of wtf.

Both that he is the brother of Reinhard Plank as that he is trying to 'put something of his' out in the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎