Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

nah man. i agree rick has failed spectacularly with plenty of stuff. but i get a certain "please dear god have mercy and make me a rockstar i am so miserable having to hang out with friends who aren't as badass as i know i am deep inside"-vibe from bbs.

Comment

• GucciAmen
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
      nah man. i agree rick has failed spectacularly with plenty of stuff. but i get a certain "please dear god have mercy and make me a rockstar i am so miserable having to hang out with friends who aren't as badass as i know i am deep inside"-vibe from bbs.
      I get that rockstar vibe with SLP, but this is coming out of left field with BBS... where are you seeing this specifically in Boris' work?
      Last edited by GucciAmen; 05-21-2015, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
        I get that rockstar vibe with SLP, but this is coming out of left field with BBS... where as you seeing this specifically in Boris' work?
        Personal bias
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Defender View Post
          The question is...at what point does BBS lose credibility based on how shitty 11 is?

The real WTF is WTF is BBS doing putting out that jacket, even under a diffusion line?
          Lose credibility with whom? You?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
            Dunno why you keep being surprised at who wears 11. BBS made their bed with this pop/streetwear shit, and now all that's left is to lie in it. Sell stuff the Biebers of this world would want to buy, don't be surprised when they go and fucking buy it.

(Or their fuccboi stylists do, whatever.)

(edit: pre-empted by Shucks)
            BBS has no control over who buys his stuff. That's an unfair statement. I can tell you for a fact that he's repeatedly turned down celebs that have tried to go to the source. But he can't control who buys it in stores anymore than Paul Harnden, a favorite of Galliano, by the way.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
              • Apr 2011

The real question is, how can you talk about someone's 'credibility' in the elaborate pants game with a straight face.

We boycotting designers based on the work we don't want to buy now or what?

Comment

• Defender
                Banned
                • Jan 2015

I think it comes down to how you feel about putting on an item with the name BBS when some people would come to know about it through the 11 line...that's what I mean by a lack of credibility.

Making a joke of the name means that people will probably not want to buy the main line just to avoid being thrown in with fans of the diffusion line at this point.

I don't have any BBS or 11, and I wouldn't really buy into that aesthetic anyway (the recent human butcher from the future show, for example), but I can tell you some of the 11 items I've seen recently (like the chalk outline looking joggers) have cemented the fact that I won't be looking for BBS items any time soon.

Comment

• casem
                  • Sep 2006

Dying.

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                  The real question is, how can you talk about someone's 'credibility' in the elaborate pants game with a straight face.

We boycotting designers based on the work we don't want to buy now or what?
                  music

Comment

• Arkady
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Defender View Post
                    I think it comes down to how you feel about putting on an item with the name BBS when some people would come to know about it through the 11 line...that's what I mean by a lack of credibility.

Making a joke of the name means that people will probably not want to buy the main line just to avoid being thrown in with fans of the diffusion line at this point.

I don't have any BBS or 11, and I wouldn't really buy into that aesthetic anyway (the recent human butcher from the future show, for example), but I can tell you some of the 11 items I've seen recently (like the chalk outline looking joggers) have cemented the fact that I won't be looking for BBS items any time soon.
                    It's smart business to ensnare the somewhat loaded streetwear kids who'll eventually buy into his mainline aesthetic, I think it's probable 11 will have quite the opposite effect you mention.

As to not wearing something appealing because it somehow associates you with the production of another set of garments you don't like... sounds like a problem beyond this context.

Comment

• Defender
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2015

As to not wearing something appealing because it somehow associates you with the production of another set of garments you don't like... sounds like a problem beyond this context.
                      "Hey man, nice jacket! Who makes it?"

"BBS"

"Oh really? Mine's BBS too!" said the guy in these hammer pants

No thanks.

Comment

• Arkady
                        • Apr 2011

Sounds like an excruciating way to live but to each his own, man.

Guy in hammer pants, guy in deer carcass who looks like he went to Waterworld community college for poetry -- I wouldn't worry about associations too intensely, we're all dying you know.
                        Last edited by Arkady; 05-21-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Arkady
                          • Apr 2011

"HRR SHCMMF FF, FFNRPFFT?"

"Rick Owens"

"PFFT! MFFT RFFF WNNS TFFFPFFT"

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

It's smart business to ensnare the somewhat loaded streetwear kids who'll eventually buy into his mainline aesthetic, I think it's probable 11 will have quite the opposite effect you mention.

Of often read the opinions and views of many people here on SZ, and sometimes I decide not to comment because as a designer i think its better I stay out of certain discussions. other times I comment because i think there is a need to educate, or provide some level of insight into the decision making process of a designer because that is often left out of the discussion when people make certain statements.

Running a Fashion Brand, especially a growing one is no cakewalk, its no easy exercise. and it takes a lot of planning, decision making and support from a myriad of people across does of fields and areas of expertise in order to get products from concept to creation and then to market. As great as a designer may feel his products might be, there is NO GUARANTEE that those products are going to sell and sell well when they hit the stores.

Once a designer gets to a certain level, with PR, shows, Showroom, production and the dozens of other things needed........especially if external investment was brought on board in order to pay for those things, then the designer has to move to a system of multi tiered price points and diffusion lines and products that appeal to customers beyond the scope of his/ her core aesthetic or brand appeal. its either that or slowly fading away.

I wish people would understand this, or at least consider it in their though process, because if they did, it becomes easier to understand why certain things happen...........
                            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Arkady
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                              Of often read the opinions and views of many people here on SZ, and sometimes I decide not to comment because as a designer i think its better I stay out of certain discussions. other times I comment because i think there is a need to educate, or provide some level of insight into the decision making process of a designer because that is often left out of the discussion when people make certain statements.

Running a Fashion Brand, especially a growing one is no cakewalk, its no easy exercise. and it takes a lot of planning, decision making and support from a myriad of people across does of fields and areas of expertise in order to get products from concept to creation and then to market. As great as a designer may feel his products might be, there is NO GUARANTEE that those products are going to sell and sell well when they hit the stores.

Once a designer gets to a certain level, with PR, shows, Showroom, production and the dozens of other things needed........especially if external investment was brought on board in order to pay for those things, then the designer has to move to a system of multi tiered price points and diffusion lines and products that appeal to customers beyond the scope of his/ her core aesthetic or brand appeal. its either that or slowly fading away.

I wish people would understand this, or at least consider it in their though process, because if they did, it becomes easier to understand why certain things happen...........
                              Absolutely, it's a shame tactics are often mistaken for compromise.

Comment

• gregor
                                • Oct 2014

"HRR SHCMMF FF, FFNRPFFT?"

"Rick Owens"

"PFFT! MFFT RFFF WNNS TFFFPFFT"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰