• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quiet
    Banned
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by braver View Post
    Strongly disagree.
    Whether you like it or not, I think he just doesn't care about trends, popular fashion, and anything at all.
    i dont see how this is true when his first few collections were rick rip offs, albeit the fabrics are quite beautiful, rip offs none the less. his collections now are starting to come into their own but if you didnt know any better you'd just think rick owens started putting more buttons on his skirted trousers. he is aware of his market but i dont think he has much of a voice as a designer. i feel like the damir scenario is spot on. he'll start doing more traditional tailoring and no one on here will care for him but pine for the "old days". so it goes...
    Last edited by Quiet; 06-05-2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

I honestly don't see how you are qualified to come to these kind of conclusions.

Originally posted by Quiet View Post
      i dont see how this is true when his first few collections were rick rip offs, albeit the fabrics are quite beautiful, rip offs none the less. he is aware of his market but i dont think he has much of a voice as a designer. i feel like the damir scenario is spot on. he'll start doing more traditional tailoring and no one on here will care for him but pine for the "old days". so it goes...
      no one will ever take you seriously with this kind of perspective.
      If you have a beef with the designer you gotta come better than that.....
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Arkady
        • Apr 2011

Kind of comedy to accuse an apprentice of ripping off their master, no?

Comment

• Quiet
          Banned
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by zamb View Post
          I honestly don't see how you are qualified to come to these kind of conclusions.

no one will ever take you seriously with this kind of perspective.
          If you have a beef with the designer you gotta come better than that.....
          i am unsure how? maybe you are fetishsizing the designer in question in support of designers in this respective niche but there is a time to call a spade a spade. we operate in a very small corner of fashion so with such a close knit watchful community it's important to be honest in what should and should not be. while i think it inevitable with his influence and financier, there shouldnt be space for derivative work. i have no actual beef with the designer in question, in fact i quite like his tailoring and fabric composition but the word designer is a misuse of the word for him. what i have a beef with is that he clearly has no voice of his own. arabic printed sweat pants, cashmere hijabs, mens kandoras, and knife blazers arent exactly saying much. please keep this friendly and explain to me the error in my approach to the designer in question. what is he saying with his work that cannot be bought from an iranian street bazaar?

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

i am unsure how? maybe you are fetishsizing the designer in question but there is a time to call a spade a spade. we operate in a very small corner of fashion so with such a close knit watchful community it's important to be honest in what should and should not be. while i think it inevitable with his influence, there shouldnt be space for derivative work. i have no actual beef with the designer in question, in fact i quite like his tailoring and fabric composition. what i have a beef with is that he clearly has no voice of his own. arabic printer sweat pants, cashmere hijabs, mens kandoras, and knife blazers arent exactly saying much. please keep this friendly and explain to me the error in my approach to the designer in question. what is he saying with his work that cannot be bought from an iranian street bazaar?
            i don't have time to get into as much detail as i would like, but here is something for you. there is no way for you to know what kind of ideas a designer has or does not have. and then conclude that because he is out of ideas he is now creating literal interpretations of traditional garments form wherever he may get them from.

Suppose his whole idea was to create Iranian inspired clothing in fine fabrics and market it to a western client who was not exposed to that? there is no way for you to know and since you don't know, anything you say is an assumption based on deductive reasoning. but you did not state in as an assumption, you stated it as something you are sure of.

The second problem, is Thamanayah came of the scene creating Kandoras and the like, I would like to think (no offense) I know more about the history and chronology of Rick's work than you do, and I have NEVER seen Rick do work inspired by Iranian or any kind of middle eastern garments, so to accuse him of that is to undermine your position and put yourself on a very weak foundation if you want to be taken seriously......but anyways, enough of that a i think Ive made my point
            Last edited by zamb; 06-05-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Quiet
              Banned
              • Nov 2014

historically, it is appropriate to judge an artist by their body of work. your approach to the argument is "i know more than you." which you clearly stated. i think we shall put a pin in this one.

edit: i stand by my "wtf" contribution as if someone shows up to a show in paris in rick dunks and a niqab it will wind up right back in this thread.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

historically, it is appropriate to judge an artist by their body of work. your approach to the argument is "i know more than you." which you clearly stated. i think we shall put a pin in this one.

edit: i stand by my "wtf" contribution as if someone shows up to a show in paris in rick dunks and a niqab it will wind up right back in this thread.
                But he does know more than you What Zam is saying is that please deconstruct analytically Thamanyah's work, back it up with evidence such as interviews with the designer and such, instead of just making a flip comment based on something you saw on Ssense. Do that and we have a respectable conversation going, even if we agree to disagree. Otherwise, class dismissed.

Now, I know Ahmed and his history of work and influences pretty well - let's see what you've got.

EDIT: Well, well - by your style of writing and level of dickishness, I figured that you must be messenoire, the scam artist I banned. Ran an IP search and I am correct. Bye, asshole.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  EDIT: Well, well - by your style of writing and level of dickishness, I figured that you must be messenoire, the scam artist I banned. Ran an IP search and I am correct. Bye, asshole.
                  well........that now is a real W+T+F+!

Comment

• bukka
                    • Sep 2011

Man, that some next level Sherlock skillz
                    Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

It's no coincidence that for the past three months I've been reading Sherlock Holmes with my daughter
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                        • Apr 2011

Kandora, bannedora.

Comment

• unwashed
                          • Dec 2008

Bye, asshole.[/B]
                          You might want to keep your analysis for yourself in case he wants to come back using proxies and whatever methods hiding his location, like a real tech-ninja . Looks like he's rather persistent
                          Grailed link

Comment

• Arkady
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
                            You might want to keep your analysis for yourself in case he wants to come back using proxies and whatever methods hiding his location, like a real tech-ninja . Looks like he's rather persistent
                            I mean if he switches his speech pattern just to evade Faust then Faust has already won.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

^ this

if you actually manage to register back and behave so differently you don't get noticed, maybe you deserve another chance.. but the truth is we've had a lot of ex-members (some banned, others who left and made a lot of noise on the way out) sneak back, and you can tell already after a few posts who they are
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Wrekt
                                • Sep 2013

"dope ccp sneaker"

Searching for dope ccp sneaker? We’ve got Carol Christian Poell Men's Footwear starting at $2230 and plenty of other Men's Footwear. Shop our selection of Carol Christian Poell today!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎