X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arkady
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
    But didn't Nike make Rick Owens stop his dunk production because of a derived logo? And didn't Rick stated in interviews he produced these sneakers as a satire on Nike, Puma and Adidas? So he actually didn't needed to stop his production and could win a trial if it came that far?

Also regarding vetements, complete the look
    Not necessarily -- you have to meet the burden of proof that satirical intent was present from the beginning. Rick may have stated this retroactively or really had meant them as a satire but couldn't convince a judge of it -- as you can imagine these cases get extremely nuanced and legally subjective.

There is also the issue that Rick's is perhaps a more structural or compositional satire whereas Whateverements is explicit logo derivation. And of course associated legal fees when you can just slightly alter the design as he did. It's a clusterfuck.

Comment

• tornaremavencer
      • Aug 2012

This brand caught fire too quickly and will be burning out soon. Every rapper and their aunts are wearing it, including Kardashians, which is a bad sign already. Too bad, started as an interesting project and went full fuccboi.

But I guess Demna knew what he was doing using the kanye effect (the word is he took a big part in designing the kanyes collection)

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
        Not necessarily -- you have to meet the burden of proof that satirical intent was present from the beginning. Rick may have stated this retroactively or really had meant them as a satire but couldn't convince a judge of it -- as you can imagine these cases get extremely nuanced and legally subjective.

There is also the issue that Rick's is perhaps a more structural or compositional satire whereas Whateverements is explicit logo derivation. And of course associated legal fees when you can just slightly alter the design as he did. It's a clusterfuck.
        And VERY expensive. The man with deeper pockets wins and you can't dance with Nike there. In the corporate world it's done all the time. The bigger fish does not need to eat the smaller fish, but simply simply show intent.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by tornaremavencer View Post
          This brand caught fire too quickly and will be burning out soon. Every rapper and their aunts are wearing it, including Kardashians, which is a bad sign already. Too bad, started as an interesting project and went full fuccboi.

But I guess Demna knew what he was doing using the kanye effect (the word is he took a big part in designing the kanyes collection)
          You better believe it - they are going to cash in and get out. It's not even Demna as much as his younger brother, who is a very shrewd businessman.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jun 2014

Originally posted by tornaremavencer View Post
            A brand is fuccboi because of its consumers? I was unaware rappers wearing your garments is negative by defacto.

Comment

• gregor
              • Oct 2014

the people who wear a brand are often as important if not more important than the brand itself, especially with up and coming brands.

Comment

• Jun 2014

Originally posted by gregor View Post
                the people who wear a brand are often as important if not more important than the brand itself, especially with up and coming brands.
                "As important if not more important" in what way and for whom? Are you talking about the garments or a brand equity? Personally or from a global marketing standpoint? We're all aware of how stagnant and banal the industry is. Frankly Demna and Vetements as a whole was picture perfect for the manufactured celebrity of fashion journalism. Kering brought Wang to Balenciaga for the hype, fired him with a pure propaganda press release talking about 'mutual separation,' only to immediately sweep up Gvasalia. He'll be out of Balenciaga in under 4 years as well. Fashion has become fascinating to ordinary people too and is entertaining. So as sick as I am of seeing "What you need to know about Demna" articles as well it doesn't impede on my personal view of the Vetements brand.

Comment

• gregor
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by 1994 View Post
                  "As important if not more important" in what way and for whom? Are you talking about the garments or a brand equity? Personally or from a global marketing standpoint? We're all aware of how stagnant and banal the industry is. Frankly Demna and Vetements as a whole was picture perfect for the manufactured celebrity of fashion journalism. Kering brought Wang to Balenciaga for the hype, fired him with a pure propaganda press release talking about 'mutual separation,' only to immediately sweep up Gvasalia. He'll be out of Balenciaga in under 4 years as well. Fashion has become fascinating to ordinary too. So as sick as I am of seeing "What you need to know about Demna" articles too it doesn't impede on my personal view of the Vetements brand.
                  brand equity, which is important to everyone involved. it's why people buy into the brand and why the brand will probably continue to go in the way it seems to be, as opposed to trailblazing and trying something unique.

i agree though, and i think it's a good indication of the state of the fashion industry on a larger scale, but i don't think i have anything to change about my original comment.

it's negative and it's positive, honestly, and i think in the context of sz, and personally, it's somewhat negative to see it's proliferation amongst celebrities as i see it tied to commerciality and banality, which are not traits that are often positive in art.

Comment

• Jun 2014

Originally posted by gregor View Post
                    it's negative and it's positive, honestly, and i think in the context of sz, and personally, it's somewhat negative to see it's proliferation amongst celebrities as i see it tied to commerciality and banality, which are not traits that are often positive in art.
                    Personally I sit in the camp that fashion is not art - however the proliferation of fashion brands with celebrities will only continue as people like the Kardashians leverage themselves to be "insiders." I would hope that by having a discernible eye or independent mind one could form their own opinion outside of the system - instead of appropriating the same shallow thinking they supposedly detest.

Comment

• cloakroom
                      • Mar 2015

That DHL shirt is obviously fucking post ironic Hipster Bullshit. As a piece of clothing. As a business idea to gain attention for the label it works perfectly, judging from this forum only.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

Not Rick Owens:

Not Raf Simons
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Arkady
                          • Apr 2011

Not rick owens or raf anymore either

Comment

• unwashed
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                            Not Rick Owens
                            Funny they paired it with Geobaskets. Like a big fuck you rick
                            Grailed link

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

^ yea, and it was also posted in new arrivals right next to a rick jumpsuit
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Anton
                                • Oct 2014

If you ever wanted to feel like Drakes dad, you can accomplish it with these Saint Laurent Jeans...
                                https://www.grailed.com/listings/453...ris-moto-jeans
                                I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
                                My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎