X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlacknWhite
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by gregor View Post
    you can take made in china with a grain of salt if it's ziggy or uma, but it's representative of the reason behind the quality, or at least has been for ages, of zara, h&m, etc.

country of production is still somewhat linked, if not very much linked, to the actual value of the product, and a lot of times, though not necessarily intrinsically, practically, linked to the actual quality of the piece. rick in moldova being a good example of that.
    Margiela is made in Italy for the most part, that doesn't mean the actual value of their products have the value at which they price them selves. Higher end brands not relevant on this forum are made in Italy as well, but there is a clear difference in quality of products it self. Why? because of quality control and standards. It has little to do with country of origin.

Comment

• DudleyGray
      • Jul 2013

Country of origin has everything to do with labor laws, though. I'd prefer that brands producing in countries with questionable labor laws provide transparency about their practices, like fair trade certification or something to the effect. But I can't throw rocks on this one.
      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• BlacknWhite
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
        Country of origin has everything to do with labor laws, though. I'd prefer that brands producing in countries with questionable labor laws provide transparency about their practices, like fair trade certification or something to the effect. But I can't throw rocks on this one.
        I'd prefer if every manufacturer regardless of country did that. No leniency.

Comment

• beyondthemeans
          • Sep 2008

Any of you read 'How luxury lost it's luster' by Dana Thomas?
          Country of production doesn't seem to make such a difference in terms of quality, apparently.

Arctyrex even produces part of their collection in Bangladesh.
          Last edited by beyondthemeans; 08-12-2016, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Extreme Mildness
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by jimmycs View Post
            And made in China, probably.
            FWIW, most of Zara's production is actually based in spain (one source from their own website). By keeping both the design and production of clothes close to their headquarters in Spain, they're able to rip off other designers' clothes from the runway to their own racks in a matter of 2 weeks (see this article).

But obviously, Zara is not known for the quality of their clothes. So really, the quality of the clothes is in large part a business decision, with the choice of the country of production being one part of the equation.

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Extreme Mildness View Post
              FWIW, most of Zara's production is actually based in spain (one source from their own website). By keeping both the design and production of clothes close to their headquarters in Spain, they're able to rip off other designers' clothes from the runway to their own racks in a matter of 2 weeks (see this article).

But obviously, Zara is not known for the quality of their clothes. So really, the quality of the clothes is in large part a business decision, with the choice of the country of production being one part of the equation.
              Country of origin doesn't mean much. A great deal of Italian production is produced by Chinese immigrants in illegal factories. Additionally, let's take eyewear for example, you can have the body made in China, the lenses made in Canada, then cut in New Jersey, and assembled in France - making it a product that's 'Made in France' by eyewear standards. This style of production has been going on for decades.
              StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Arkady
                • Apr 2011

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I am assuming you made an offer?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• derpington
                    • Oct 2009

I just saw that, and I was going to post it as well. It's unfortunate, though, that you cropped out the shipping prices, which are ~$50 for a piece of string.

Comment

• Arkady
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      I wouldn't insult the seller with a lowball on a grail -- paid full price seconds after this shot was taken.

Comment

• jimmycs
                        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Extreme Mildness View Post

Thanx for that article by Stevenson. Interesting read. I was thinking of the the Japanese Uniqlo which was briefly mentioned at the end of that article.

Seems like Zara, H&M, Uniqlo, et al are having serious impacts to other traditional venues as such. Different stance and viewpoint, I suppose.

Comment

• Law
                          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          I hope the offer was to strangle the seller with it.

Comment

• 13we2
                            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                            Haven't you seen people selling those dust bags?

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

RO dustbags are super useful, I'd be looking to buy one of those super big ones once the one I have breaks. But tags? That's just crazy

(Actually if someone has à super big RO dustbag they don't use, pm me, I feel I should have another one, just in case, I use it to carry my baby's stuff when we travel, and we travel à lot)

Comment

• Rei
                                • Oct 2011

I fail to see how that is the same thing. The dust bags are simple and pretty useful, I can imagine why people would want to pay small amounts them. At least I use them all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎