• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Re: Beanies

I'm thinking I might pick up one of these "Desert Knitcaps" from C-Plus:

What do you guys think? To me, it looks like it adds an interesting detail but remains pretty understated, and I need another beanie that's not slouchy. I'm planning on ordering one of these and a black Bell, which brings the total to around 10,000 yen or so, I believe. Those of you who have shipped before, how much did it come out to? Who are you guys using to ship from Japan these days?

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• dontbecruel
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]

What do you guys think? To me, it looks like it adds an interesting detail but remains pretty understated, and I need another beanie that's not slouchy. I'm planning on ordering one of these and a black Bell, which brings the total to around 10,000 yen or so, I believe. Those of you who have shipped before, how much did it come out to? Who are you guys using to ship from Japan these days?

[/quote]

It'll probably come out a little under $100.

I would definitely say no though Servo. It's what we call a "year off" hat in England... the sort of thing that pretentious undergraduates wear on their first day at university. It's supposed to say"I had a really mind-expanding travelling experience in Afghanistan in my year off between school and college". The actual message communicated by a hat like this is more like "I am a bloodsucking adolescent who thinks you can steal the culture of the world's poorest people and use it as a badge of sophistication or political engagement". Steer clear!

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="Servo2000"]

[/quote]

I would definitely say no though Servo. It's what we call a "year off" hat in England... the sort of thing that pretentious undergraduates wear on their first day at university. It's supposed to say"I had a really mind-expanding travelling experience in Afghanistan in my year off between school and college". The actual message communicated by a hat like this is more like "I am a bloodsucking adolescent who thinks you can steal the culture of the world's poorest people and use it as a badge of sophistication or political engagement". Steer clear!

[/quote]

So this hat is the equivalent of those hand-made, hippie Guatemalan juggler's hat and bags? Because those say: "I've seen the whole world in the 2 months I've traveled in South America and can now tell you the solution to this planet many problems in one simple, black and white sentence." I think the simple color scheme saves it from that effect but I guess you're better safe than sorry.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• dontbecruel
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

I think the simple color scheme saves it from that effect but I guess you're better safe than sorry.

[/quote]

Perhaps you're right. The classical example of the genre, the year-off trousers, always seemed to come in multi-coloured stripes when I was a student. Where do you get those things?

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="Fuuma"]

I think the simple color scheme saves it from that effect but I guess you're better safe than sorry.

[/quote]

Perhaps you're right. The classical example of the genre, the year-off trousers, always seemed to come in multi-coloured stripes when I was a student. Where do you get those things?

[/quote]

They sell it for 100x the price to naive tourists who come to "discover the culture". It's the equivalent of a "I went to Guatemala and all I got out of it was this lousy tee-shirt and a conceited attitude" [;)]

More seriously various hippie shops where they sell nargile and beaded screen-doors would be my guess.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="Servo2000"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So this hat is the equivalent of those hand-made, hippie Guatemalan juggler's hat and bags? Because those say: "I've seen the whole world in the 2 months I've traveled in South America and can now tell you the solution to this planet many problems in one simple, black and white sentence." I think the simple color scheme saves it from that effect but I guess you're better safe than sorry.

[/quote]

Hah, I didn't even see the infamous "Shemagh" reference in it, what I was reminded more of was the patterns in one of last seasons Raf sweaters (the one where the patterns were "embossed" in the fabric and raised). I'm not sure how I missed the "desert" reference, I guess I was too infatuated with it to take a broader view of the thing. Although I have to admit, I still rather like it for the colors and the pattern, which I'll admit that I liked more without the rather unfortunate context.

Also, I wonder if this fellow who was on The Sartorialist recently was wearing a LUC
              beanie:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_qjpwnPW4c1o/...00-h/TBblk.jpg

I swear to god, it is not possible to post images about half the time. Peruse the link should you so desire, because I simply cannot make the thing an image.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎