Clear All
  • Bleu1950
    • Jan 2013

more videos

Comment

• zen dog
      • Jan 2014

Here are several books for you, Chinoriz and other watch lovers:

both by Michael Clerizo, "Masters of Contemporary Watchmaking" has Philippe Dufour as well as George Daniels and Roger Smith who fall into your handmade watch category as well as others who do amazing designs and craft their own movements.

"George Daniels A Master Watchmaker and His Art" showcases one man and is worth reading to understand how he came to make and innovate movements. Even if you don't care about watches that much- his life is an uplifting read.

Both books are large format and don't skimp on color photos that display the detail and variety of the watches.

Many of these watchmakers started repairing 19th cent. pocket watches before starting out on their own. I'm going to make a suggestion that may seem out of left field for you. If an individual making a watch is your prime drive (paired with a simple, beautiful face): 19th cent. pocket watch. You will have to do a little work to find one that meets your criteria (I can give you some leads) but the knowledge will make your pursuit that much richer. I'm not a pocket watch guy, almost wish I was- there are watch faces as beautiful as any out there now and at reasonable prices. Since many of these watchmakers started with 19th cent. pieces they learned not only about movements but gained knowledge about proportion and design of the faces- and of course the good ones knew what to do with it.

Comment

• Bleu1950
        • Jan 2013

zen dog,

would love to hear what your suggestions are.

many thanks

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

super cool Zen Dog. Thank you!

I've often wondered about the watchmaking process. Certainly it involves a large amount of instruments and tools that are very much specialized, but it would be awesome to receive something like a "kit" (a well made one of course) that one assembles themselves so that they may learn about the process and how everything fits together and runs.
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zen dog
            • Jan 2014

Bleu1950 and Chinoriz, thanks for your interest. I've owned both books for some time and they are worth having.

I haven't gone after pocket watches but I'm good with the process for things like this. If you can find a good/trusted watch dealer near you, that is a start. All the major auction houses have watch auctions- Bonhams, Christies and Sothebys, Phillips is going to start, just to show you the strength of the market. Heritage (Texas based) probably has them as well.

Antiquorum is just watches. I have an auction catalog from 2007 (admittedly before the economic meltdown) and it is impressive. It is the size of a phone book and has a grading system and brief history of some of the 19th and 18th century watchmakers whose pieces they are selling. Going on single minded commitment and historical info, I would start here.

I've never purchased watches from an auction but would suggest contacting someone in that department and discussing your wants- individually made watches, condition/any replaced parts, etc. Not to suggest anything unethical goes on but I don't know how thorough some of these houses are. Online forums might help with your questions. Hodinkee has an "Ask us anything" (under "plus+") category that would be a try for general questions. For auction house and general questions from members try watchuseek, watchtalkforums and timezone- which also has an online TZ Watch School (which looked very good) under its home page, Chinoriz. I also googled "watchmaking kit" and a number of hits came up.

If you get into movements, there should be a lot floating around. With the rise of gold and silver prices, cases were scraped. Searching for them online or getting help on the forums would be a start.

I'll try to help with anything else. It is great to see this interest. I'd like to hear if you go back to "school" Chinoriz and where you take this Bleu1950.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

^ you have opened a dangerous door for me my friend. I think in the coming months I'll pick up a basic kit and get to learning about all of this. :)

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zen dog
                • Jan 2014

^ Great! Before you do anything in the way of watchmaking check out the timezone's watchmaking school- they require a set of tools for their tutorial and you would end up with exactly what you need to tackle that project.

Also, while you are on the site, check out the young watchmaker, Masahiro Kikuno. Completely handmade watches, a Dufour connection and a chance to catch someone the rise. What more could you want? :)
                Last edited by zen dog; 01-15-2015, 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• IALAB
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2014

Here's mine.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by zen dog View Post
                    ^ Great! Before you do anything in the way of watchmaking check out the timezone's watchmaking school- they require a set of tools for their tutorial and you would end up with exactly what you need to tackle that project.

Also, while you are on the site, check out the young watchmaker, Masahiro Kikuno. Completely handmade watches, a Dufour connection and a chance to catch someone the rise. What more could you want? :)
                    Will do my friend!

Comment

• Atom11
                      • May 2013

Originally posted by IALAB View Post
                      Here's mine.

great watch

Comment

• IALAB
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Atom11 View Post
                        great watch
                        Thanks - I love it. Goes with everything.

Comment

• Bleu1950
                          • Jan 2013

I've taken the watchmaking courses (including TZ level 1 long time ago). In terms of auction house, i have taken my comex 5514 full boat for an assessment. They charge a lot of money and at the end i decided not to leave it there.

Comment

• eton97
                            • Dec 2008

New family member.😍

you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• MrBushido
                              • Dec 2013

^^

Congrats!!!

Another 5711?

Comment

• eton97
                                • Dec 2008

Thank you bud.
                                Got a call on Thursday from the PP boutique saying my watch had come in. I didn't have a clue what they were talking about
                                They told me Id put my name down 4yrs ago and my 5711 had finally come in.....I had completely forgotten.
                                My current 5711 was a second hand one I got in a Px a couple years back.
                                So bought this and sold my 5711 to a private buyer within 3hrs of listing it on Friday.

Very very very happy.
                                Last edited by eton97; 02-07-2015, 07:53 AM.
                                you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎