Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

This has been a really fascinating thread. I've wanted to get into watches for a long long time, but the buy-in is hefty.

Following some instagram feeds, it looks like there are a number of non "known" branded Swiss made watches that date back to the 60s or so that look really lovely. Chronos and others too.

For the experts, where would you suggest starting down this watch path? Vintage Pateks can sometimes be a bit more reasonable (hand-wind ones) along with vintage Rolexes, but I would love to hear peoples thoughts.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• mononon
      • Sep 2009

I would definitely go vintage, as most watches now are massive. Anyways, for the longest time, I was sporting my ExpII but recently got a jumbo PP Aquanaut. Unfortunately, as devastating as it sounds, I lost it a week ago - once i accept that it's gone and raise my bank acct a bit, I'm thinking of either a used nautilus or JLC diver or maybe another aquanaut...
      calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• gnow
        • Jun 2010

@mononon that is horrible to hear. even I feel your pain.

Comment

• skullkid
          • Aug 2015

Depends on your budget. If you don't want to spend a lot, you can always get a good vintage Heuer or Longines chorno. For purpose of investment, nothing beats sporty Rolex ref 5513, 1680, 1675, 5512, 6263 etc etc. vintage Patek chrono is another level.
          Don't rush..a wrong choice will "cost" you when you want to sell it. Follow people on Instagram like, rolexpassionreport, honkidee,
          Pateklover, patekcollector, see what you like first and decide. Also read people post on watch forums such as this

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
          This has been a really fascinating thread. I've wanted to get into watches for a long long time, but the buy-in is hefty.

Following some instagram feeds, it looks like there are a number of non "known" branded Swiss made watches that date back to the 60s or so that look really lovely. Chronos and others too.

For the experts, where would you suggest starting down this watch path? Vintage Pateks can sometimes be a bit more reasonable (hand-wind ones) along with vintage Rolexes, but I would love to hear peoples thoughts.

Comment

• mikko
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by skullkid View Post
            For purpose of investment, nothing beats sporty Rolex ref 5513, 1680, 1675, 5512, 6263 etc etc.

Comment

• eton97
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mononon View Post
              I would definitely go vintage, as most watches now are massive. Anyways, for the longest time, I was sporting my ExpII but recently got a jumbo PP Aquanaut. Unfortunately, as devastating as it sounds, I lost it a week ago - once i accept that it's gone and raise my bank acct a bit, I'm thinking of either a used nautilus or JLC diver or maybe another aquanaut...
              Buddy. That is horrific. How did you lose it?

Of your 3 potential choices for replacement, I'd go blue nautilus over the aquanaut or jlc....but I'm biased 😊
              you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• eton97
                • Dec 2008

I've owned several vintage rolexes over the years including an amazing 6263, a couple of submariners and a vintage orange hand explorer 2. The ONLY thing that annoys me with vintage over newer models is that vintage Rolexes are fitted with 'plexiglass' which scratches very easily vs new models which have scratch resistant sapphire faces...(you can easily get plexiglass replaced....its just a hassle)
                Also you have to be 100% sure you are buying from a reputable dealer as many vintage watched have been tampered with or had parts replaced with non originals. Also they are many many fakes around.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

Comment

• sunny
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by mononon View Post

Comment

• malaesthetique
                    • Mar 2009

This IM watch by Tokujin yoshioka has been my beater for the past year or so. Wanted something more utilitarian and with a sweeping second hand to alternate so I recently picked up this Laco:

Both are automatics: the IM is powered by a Seiko S11 NH35A 21,600 bph movement; The Laco has an ETA 2824-2 28,800 bph.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                      I've owned several vintage rolexes over the years including an amazing 6263, a couple of submariners and a vintage orange hand explorer 2. The ONLY thing that annoys me with vintage over newer models is that vintage Rolexes are fitted with 'plexiglass' which scratches very easily vs new models which have scratch resistant sapphire faces...(you can easily get plexiglass replaced....its just a hassle)
                      Also you have to be 100% sure you are buying from a reputable dealer as many vintage watched have been tampered with or had parts replaced with non originals. Also they are many many fakes around.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

Apologies for the delay Eton! Thank you for your thoughts and input. My budget is modest... probably in the 2-4k range for now.

I have a friend of a friend in Switzerland that is a watchmaker and all i keep hearing is about how a 100k watch really is about 3-5k in parts and materials. The Swiss are killing it in sales. I was told to perhaps wait a bit before going in on a watch, but a vintage rolex from a reputable seller is something I'd love to have one way or another.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• eton97
                        • Dec 2008

I have a friend of a friend in Switzerland that is a watchmaker and all i keep hearing is about how a 100k watch really is about 3-5k in parts and materials
                        Well....the same question is asked many times by people who see the prices of all the 'artisan' pieces we discuss in this wider forum. When people realise I'm wearing a $1500 pair of derbys, they look in horror and point out that their $100 pair of shoes are made of leather, so what's the point???.....

This article explain just one of the many reasons why top end watches cost multiples of the price of a high street watch. Same theory goes for my derbys....although I'd like to believe as much care, attention and man hours go into my clothing pieces....which more and more I realise do not....a $4k CCP jacket is leather, zip and some rusty clips....same as a $100 leather bought from a high street shop. And a $400 cotton t-shirt???...well that's even harder to justify....but it seems to be the norm here.

Also. Pick the right watch and you won't loose a penny on resale.....seems the clothing here depreciates quicker than buying a Porsche straight out of a showroom....I often see bnwt items selling at 50% of what people paid and they still don't sell.

Anyway. Also comes down to just looking damn sexy. And sometimes that's all that's needed to justify it....

Last edited by eton97; 10-17-2015, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Thanks for the link and the additional details. Yeah, I completely understand the hand finishing, details etc. and can fully appreciate that level of technical expertise and precision.

Once you cross a certain $ threshold there is indeed (at least for me) this factor of "investment"... not necessarily will it absolutely appreciate over time, but will it depreciate dramatically once "worn." Watches like you said seem to be at least somewhat immune to this provided you choose the right producers/models/vintage and all while of course picking something that you actually enjoy.

I'm just starting to dip my toe in the watch world so I'll probably read for quite a bit longer before diving full on into it (as much as I may... nowhere near PP or Lange-Sohne levels).

If there are some more esoteric watchmakers that you would like to share, I'd love to read more about them... not the weird, extreme stuff, but those that are sticking with tradition, but taking it to another level perhaps or just doing classic in the most perfect way.

Comment

• bobbymac
                            • Oct 2015

I'm fascinated with all things vintage even watches, I would love to own a vintage Longines, but a Patek Phillipe isn't so bad either.

Comment

• eton97
                              • Dec 2008

The watch I most regret selling. One of the best vintage watches around and one of my biggest mistakes.....ever

Last edited by eton97; 10-23-2015, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• skullkid
                                • Aug 2015

you can simply have thr plexiglass polished by using polywatch or even toothpaste

A totally unbiased demonstration from a user who has never tried the product before. Since the video I buffed scratches out of quite a few in my collection. ...

the only watch i regret selling is my 6262 PN that i sold in 2008.

Originally posted by eton97 View Post

The ONLY thing that annoys me with vintage over newer models is that vintage Rolexes are fitted with 'plexiglass' which scratches very easily vs new models which have scratch resistant sapphire faces...(you can easily get plexiglass replaced....its just a hassle)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎