X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Uniform Dressing

What does everyone think of wearing a uniform? Not a uniform in the military sense but uniform as in wearing the same thing or variations on the same thing all the time.

A number of fashion designers do this, Thom Browne, Armani, Michael Kors, Karl Lagerfeld all wear just about the same thing everyday. I would think as a fashion designer, one would want to play with their own clothes more, but I guess when you worry about coming up with new looks all the time you don't want to think about dressing yourself in the morning.

So, are uniforms uncreative, the easy way out? Or does creativity flourish under restriction?

The upsides I see are simplicity in shopping/dressing and if you wear a uniform your look can become iconic and instantly recognizable. The downside is getting stuck in a rut and not exploring other choices that may work on you.

So, what would be your uniform? Do you find yourself drawn to the same things over and over or are you a fashion chameleon? Discuss.
    music
  • mass
    • Sep 2006

i wear a uniform because i am lazy.

Comment

• Raw Edge
      • Jan 2008

made me think of this:

this dude is serious about his uniform

Comment

• Bring The Noise
        • Feb 2008

jesus kors needs to see lagerfield's trainer.

Comment

• the breaks
          • Sep 2007

Everyone post a picture of yourself wearing your uniform.
          Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

i wear different outfits but i'd say i adhere within a range that is somewhat uniform. if you wanna see my uniform, refer to that pic i posted like 2 days ago with the black shirt/pants/shoes and white shirt, or the black/white photo of me sitting down in same combo except black overcoat. sometimes the button up shirt is substituted by a white t-shirt.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mass View Post
              i wear a uniform because i am lazy.
              partially true for me too. often i am running out of the house in the morning. that's the good part about having a good wardrobe!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

My uniform:

Sportscoat: black or grey
                white pocket square
                white tee
                black pants or jeans
                black shoes or white sneakers
                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

i love uniforms, but i lack the stylistic discipline to develop one.
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Brother Stasi
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                    A number of fashion designers do this, Thom Browne, Armani, Michael Kors, Karl Lagerfeld all wear just about the same thing everyday. I would think as a fashion designer, one would want to play with their own clothes more, but I guess when you worry about coming up with new looks all the time you don't want to think about dressing yourself in the morning.
                    As designers over time become the figureheads or mascots for their brands I think this is an overwhelming pressure for their wardrobe to be an advertisement for their brand...Also the more distinct they are, the more people recognize them, the more people talk about their brand.... aka they do it for the mula baby! Thom Browne, for example, wears his own suits as much, if not more, for the sheer advertisement/self promotion value than the artistic integrity...

I think Karl on the other hand is more so just trying to promote himself as a brand (his books, music comps, teddy bears, etc)...but on a happier note he didn't ALWAYS look like he does now...

But to be fair... I feel that most designers who have a very specific statement or aesthetic that is distinctly theirs, they tend to reflect it in their day to day clothing...Ann D dresses like Ann D, Thom B dresses like Thom, Rick Owens like Rick Owens, Galliano sadly like Galliano, and Me like Robert Smith/The Cure...

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎