Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the next 10 years, what can we do with our clothes in the wardrobe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nutty07
    • Jul 2008

In the next 10 years, what can we do with our clothes in the wardrobe?

I'm wondering if I will still be able to wear them :(

or

Will all of them need repair or fixed, couldn't imagine.

As I grow older, my style will probably change, isn't it...

I don't know if I can still wear those skinny shirts, skinny jeans,, drapy style things anymore
    Last edited by nutty07; 01-24-2009, 10:11 AM. Reason: more info
  • justine
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by nutty07 View Post
    I'm wondering if I will still be able to wear them :(

or

Will all of them need repair or fixed, couldn't imagine.

As I grow older, my style will probably change, isn't it...

I don't know if I can still wear those skinny shirts, skinny jeans,, drapy style things anymore
    Right....quick, sell it to us cheap

Honestly, 10 years is quick and I'm not sure you're going to change that much (?)...I'm still wearing things that are 7,8 years old without a blink of an eye. And I definitely see myself wearing my current 'wardrobe' in the future

Comment

• stadsvandringar
      • Aug 2008

This is why it's better to go with a more timeless style than following the dictates of whatever is the flavor of the month. True that you probably won't be wearing your all-over print hoodie, skin-tight jeans and shiny patent leather sneakers in 10 years, but simple, high quality garments never go out of style. For the amount of money that people on SZ invest in their wardrobes it would make sense to invest with the future in mind.

Comment

• justine
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by stadsvandringar View Post
        This is why it's better to go with a more timeless style than following the dictates of whatever is the flavor of the month. True that you probably won't be wearing your all-over print hoodie, skin-tight jeans and shiny patent leather sneakers in 10 years, but simple, high quality garments never go out of style. For the amount of money that people on SZ invest in their wardrobes it would make sense to invest with the future in mind.
        What's wrong with patent leather sneaker? (not that I have a pair). Some of the more outrageous pieces do survive as well. I still wear some of my older Vivienne Westwood that aren't the most simple classic style around. But I feel they are removed from time in a way...

It's hard to know what will become a classic piece, and maybe the answer to keep your clothes is to find your taste early. This way you'll be able to keep the things you bought a while back.

But you're right, if I look at some of the Jeremy Scott things, I can't see this surviving longer than youth...but then again I might be wrong ....

Comment

• Sombre
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by justine View Post
          What's wrong with patent leather sneaker? (not that I have a pair). Some of the more outrageous pieces do survive as well. I still wear some of my older Vivienne Westwood that aren't the most simple classic style around. But I feel they are removed from time in a way...

It's hard to know what will become a classic piece, and maybe the answer to keep your clothes is to find your taste early. This way you'll be able to keep the things you bought a while back.

But you're right, if I look at some of the Jeremy Scott things, I can't see this surviving longer than youth...but then again I might be wrong ....
          I completely agree. If you know what your taste is, it hardly matters at all that it's no longer trendy. It probably will look out of place if ten years from now someone is still wearing very trendy items that have characterized the current decade, but it's not without reason that people say much of one's style is how one wears the clothes. And if someone is confident and comfortable, you and I may snicker if he/she looks ridiculous, but the wearer probably couldn't care less.

Also, as you said, a lot of outrageous things won't look different ten years from now because they don't really belong in the time period in which they were made, so it's not much of an issue if they don't belong ten years later.
          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• gerry
            • Feb 2008

In relation to fashion I don't fall in love with things because they are beautiful or of the moment but because of a perceived person behind them.

I can't wait until my clothes begin to thin themselves out, because then they'll feel more like they're mine.

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

I'm sure I'll dress differently in 10 years. Style evolves over time so if I look the same in ten years I'll be in a rut.

That said, I don't buy things because of trends and I think my general taste is fairly timeless, I'm sure there are lots of clothes I have now that will get use in 10 years. On the other hand, there are things I buy I know I won't be wearing when I'm 40, but I figure I should have fun while I'm young, no need to dress like an old man just yet.
              music

Comment

• the breaks
                • Sep 2007

My wardrobe is boring now and it will be boring in 10 years so I'm good.
                Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• nutty07
                  • Jul 2008

At least nowadays, everymonth pass, my bodyshape change, sometimes fatter, sometime thinner...

Can't look at myself when I cannot wear what I like. So horrible.
                  And when I will be 30 40 plus, it's gonna be hard to keep my body remains firmly...

Comment

• gerry
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by merz
                    their creator and the cosmology created by them within which the clothes exist, or the person you become when wearing the clothes?
                    The first. The second I'm too self-absorbed to acknowledge, I've noticed.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by nutty07 View Post
                      At least nowadays, everymonth pass, my bodyshape change, sometimes fatter, sometime thinner...

Can't look at myself when I cannot wear what I like. So horrible.
                      And when I will be 30 40 plus, it's gonna be hard to keep my body remains firmly...
                      do you have a glandular problem or something?

most people have troubles CHANGING their weight (whether it be getting thinner or thicker)

-

Comment

• Casius
                        • Dec 2006

Aren't we supposed to be living on mars in 10 years or something? I wanna dress like Star Wars (aka Damir Doma FW09).
                        "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• noerml
                          • May 2008

actually i would hope, that in 10years time, there will be not more than 10items from today.
                          why is that?...for me clothes are just an extension of my personality and somewhat, or at least should, represent a part of me. If i'D be still wearing/liking the same clothes, that would either mean i am sentimental or i didn't change... dunno what seems worse.
                          Now it might be different for a guy in his late 30ies, 40ies. At some point in ur life you sorta seem to settle in, and change might come slower.
                          E.G. My late great-granddad used to wear some very nice bespoke suits from 30years back and looked absolutly stunning/classic in it.

However...me being in my twenties...well...i certainly do want to change, and i want to change a lot.
                          Now that doesn'T mean i want to be fickle or so...and it certainly does make sense to stick to one..hm...call it thread...that runs thru your wardrobe, thru the decades...but you should allow that thread to change color and/or material :)

also sometimes i feel like buying pieces ahead of time. WHich is actually saying two things at one time.
                          Sometimes i buy items/accessoires whatever, that evolve into a hype 1 or 2 years after i started wearing them (plz i am not saying i started those hypes ^^)...which in generally results in me discarding those items.
                          and sometimes i buy clothes i don't seem to be ready yet. There are/were some pieces in my closet i didn't wear for months to come, sometimes year(s)...and at one point i seemed to be ready for them. So what i am trying to say with that...10years might be very relative as well.

noermls 2 cents
                          And through their parting lids there came and went
                          Keen glimpses of the inner firmament

Comment

• nutty07
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by curiouscharles View Post
                            do you have a glandular problem or something?

most people have troubles CHANGING their weight (whether it be getting thinner or thicker)
                            I just feel unconfortable when my weight rise. If so, i have to work out till I get back my work well stage.

Comment

• casem
                              • Sep 2006

This assumes that there is such a thing as a "true self"; a core personality that will translate into a consistent aesthetic taste throughout one's life, which I don't believe. (Buddhism+Flanagan's Problem of the Soul has convinced me).

Of course, some people make a conscious effort to avoid change while others make an effort to reinvent themselves, but I wouldn't say one is more genuine than the other. The only thing I have in common with me of the past is an unbroken stream of consciousness and shared memories.

Originally posted by merz
                              some kind of an underlying aesthetic direction doesn't change, its not the people whose clothes you wear, but some part of yourself that makes you more drawn toward one thing over another. lacking that sort of a natural compass is something that always troubled me, in that i can't relate to people who do.

i have seen people re-invent themselves suddenly, in more ways than just appearance. but there is always something insincere and off about it, and i can't put that something into words very well.
                              music

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎