• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ironman
    • Apr 2008

true very good point especially if it is loose gauge

i'm just going by what worked for me; never tried shampoo yet

gf has itchy wool skirt. i have tried random internet suggestions such as freezing and using leave in conditioner with no results

any recommendations?

Comment

• Lohikaarme
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by ironman View Post
      true very good point especially if it is loose gauge

i'm just going by what worked for me; never tried shampoo yet

gf has itchy wool skirt. i have tried random internet suggestions such as freezing and using leave in conditioner with no results

any recommendations?
      Perhaps go to a knitting shop and then check back in here? Sort of non-specific but that was the advice I was given on a wool garment I have but I don't have a knitting shop nearby

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by ironman View Post

any recommendations?

have some lining put in by a tailor?

Comment

• ironman
          • Apr 2008

there is a lining but there is none by the waist

even tucking in a shirt she says she can feel it. but yeah i guess i can always have something extra added there

thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

• Dropt
            • May 2009

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll try that then.

Comment

• newp
              • Feb 2013

I've seen similar questions a lot of times but anyway: which washing machine do you use? I understand most of machines aren't much different nowadays, I just want to examine some models you use: which are able to carefully wash rayon/silk blends as sheer RO/AnnD/_7 tees and longsleeves use.

Comment

• stagename
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by newp View Post
                I've seen similar questions a lot of times but anyway: which washing machine do you use? I understand most of machines aren't much different nowadays, I just want to examine some models you use: which are able to carefully wash rayon/silk blends as sheer RO/AnnD/_7 tees and longsleeves use.
                I think the general rule is a machine that tumbles is less stressful than one that uses an agitator.

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by newp View Post
                  don't ever wash rayon/viscose in a machine. viscose gets super brittle when it is wet and the fibers will break if they are pulled. wash the garment by hand without wringing it - just squeeze it - and lay it flat to dry.

Comment

• newp
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                    don't ever wash rayon/viscose in a machine. viscose gets super brittle when it is wet and the fibers will break if they are pulled. wash the garment by hand without wringing it - just squeeze it - and lay it flat to dry.
                    This is what I do now but I believe I saw a lot of posts "I just wash them on careful 'handwash' cycle and it's fine". Thought I might be able to do the same.

Originally posted by stagename View Post
                    I think the general rule is a machine that tumbles is less stressful than one that uses an agitator.
                    Thanks!

Comment

• Nickefuge
                      • Nov 2014

Be sure to use a garment bag or whatever itĀ“s called.
                      A mild detergent is also helpful (I use the one from Aesop and it works just fine).
                      "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                      -Paris Hilton

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                        • Sep 2008

I just thow them in the washing machine, handwash setting (cold), liquid handwash detergent (though black detergent will do also), no tumble drying and in a garment net or pillowcase.
                        So far all my viscose/silk basics came out fine.

I did washing by hand a while ago on those, but they didn't look near as clean and good as they did after the washing machine.

Comment

• dji
                          • Feb 2008

I used to handwash my stuff a couple of years ago. since moving into an apartment everything delicate goes in a linen bag with the usual wash (with an agitator no less) then straight in the tumble dryer, my shit is still fine.

Comment

• Ulf
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by dji View Post
                            I used to handwash my stuff a couple of years ago. since moving into an apartment everything delicate goes in a linen bag with the usual wash (with an agitator no less) then straight in the tumble dryer, my shit is still fine.
                            Sounds like it's working for you, but I will use your post as a springboard for a related thought.

I would like to point out that fibers like wool and silk can and do weaken, and get destroyed in the long run, if you wash them using regular laundry detergents. These detergents contain enzymes that break down stains and dirt by targeting proteins, and this is essentially what wool and silk are. The enzymes are eating away at the material itself, because they obviously can't differentiate between the protein in an egg stain and the protein in the silk.

Buy an enzyme-free detergent that is formulated for wool/silk.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                              • Nov 2014

Hey, does anyone know how to clean RickĀ“s (white) structured deer leather? The situation: spilled coca cola ... :/
                              "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                              -Paris Hilton

Comment

• yay
                                • Sep 2014

i'd get it professionally cleaned to be sure

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎