Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Denpatou
    • Jan 2010

i asked about that too but the SA seemed unsure of the wax's origin. i probably would've given them the benefit of the doubt for a pair of boots that would last me such a long time. also, being a true size 1, the vegan thing is just the beginning of my nightmare, haha. i'm actually quite proud of what i've managed to find so far--lots of va, _7, ro, dbss, and ov~

edit: my reasons for being vegan are pretty simple, following the "least harm, most good" principle. however, i do realize that cruelty extends beyond the cultivation of animals and animal products, which is why i try to make informed decisions about everything i buy whenever possible. if i didn't live in texas, i wouldn't need to drive a car but i do, so there's not much of a choice for me there. the whole beeswax thing might seem crazy to some, i just know that it doesn't sit right with me for some reason. i know of plenty of other vegans who have no problem with beeswax (though the very idea of using beeswax goes against veganism by definition), and ultimately it comes down to what you're comfortable with within your own means of practicality. i believe rilu has previously stated that she wears secondhand wool on occasion, and i can see the reasoning at work there (don't worry, i won't call the vegan police)
    Last edited by Denpatou; 01-05-2012, 03:05 PM.
    SEMI-SORTED. / DRUNKEN HEARTED

Comment

• michael_kard
      • Oct 2010

My first Raf piece, from the F/W 05-06 collection. The material and cut are excellent, and I'm glad I got this as a present cos I don't think I would ever experiment with anything by Raf using my funds.

FYI I am a big 48 and this is a 52 and fits me perfect.
      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

In regards to the vegan topic, I think we all choose what injustice we wish to fight against and I'm not sure why some should be deemed more or less valid than others. I don't believe it's possible to consume 100% ethically, so we all must draw the line somewhere for what we will and will not accept. I'm not vegan, but I've been vegetarian for about 6 years. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with man eating animals, but I am so disgusted by the meat industry and it's far reaching negative impact that I choose not to eat meat. I still wear leather shoes and drink milk, so maybe I'm a hypocrite to someone who is more hardcore, but I think the point is that we all do what we can. What bothers me is when non-veggie/vegan people have such a problem with people who are. Can't you be happy that they are trying to make the world a less cruel place in their own way even if it doesn't aline with your own efforts?
        Last edited by casem; 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM.
        music

Comment

• CHRIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2006

burberry prorsum creeper... things:

soloist x oliver peoples:

this sexual iPhone case:

Comment

• Denpatou
            • Jan 2010

^^not to mention the queen bees that are often de-winged or artificially inseminated and the tons of poor bees that are killed or maimed through general mishandling :c

Comment

• Macro
              • Apr 2008

vegans will protect animals but demand that replicas are made that do more damage to the planet than using a natural material provided by the universe? animal skin is the oldest method of protecting the human body...
              every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Denpatou
                • Jan 2010

first off, i am all for non-"replica" materials, but if you think that the leather on your products just comes the way it is you're sorely mistaken.

Comment

• Fenix
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                  vegans will protect animals but demand that replicas are made that do more damage to the planet than using a natural material provided by the universe? animal skin is the oldest method of protecting the human body...
                  Originally posted by hausofblaq
                  Grow up.

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by rilu
                    it's only friday and this forum has gone berzerk, wtfffffffff... i can't even begin to discuss questions like this, a simple wikipedia article or even the thread on sustainable fashion here will already be of big help. i'm off the debate (or i'll try to be :p).
                    i'm pretty ignorant here but what was incorrect in what he said? like which part was not true? i honestly don't know. i'm not picking a side but my take on what he said is that often times the replicas are based on petroleum products, so there's that whole thing. and that leather has been used since the dawn of man and lo and behold we still have tons of leather left with no end in sight and little damage done to the environment in the process. i think. and it can be done organically as well.

well i guess i mean beyond the way the animals are treated. factory farming and all that. it does seem that leather is like the perfect material. just sayin'
                    Last edited by cjbreed; 01-05-2012, 06:58 PM.
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• BeauIXI
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                      I thought it was the fig leaf, no? Anyway, I don't think Rilu is against animal products to the extent that she might favour a completely synthetic alternative. Vegan means vegan, not petroleum. I'd say it depends on how you see it- I'm against the mistreatment of animals, yet I believe that leather is a perfect material, because it is naturally occurring, durable (meaning that one can fulfill the first two R's formidably) and comfortable. I would argue that the nylon industry is a greater evil than the leather, from an ecological standpoint. I would further argue that cotton, due to its overuse and poor durability, is an equally evil industry.

In short, one needs to pinpoint which link in the chain of the textile industry he or she finds most irksome and deal with it from there.
                      Originally posted by philip nod
                      somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• I'd love to donate my skin to a good designer when I die. And i'm not joking.

Comment

• KodakII
                          • Sep 2008

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

I usually stay away from these discussions because whenever I speak my mind all hell seems to break loose............but since the discussion is going on and I am taking a break from working hear goes.

• Plants have life too, they are another kind of lifeforms, so how do we deal with that with respect to cruelty to lifeforms.............or do we believe that animal life is more valuable?

• Do we find the eating of one kind of animal by another in the wild cruel and how do we deal with that?

• I have no problem with people being vegan/ vegetarian or whatever, maybe my indifference to this aspect of living has made me somewhat ignorant about the difference........but what is our definition of evil, so as to determine whether the killing of animals for different kinds of usage such as shoe and garment making is evil.............

• how does this differ from having a great con man or an oppressor of workers producing some of the best organic cottons around through the purest of environmentally friendly methods?

As a socially conscious, deeply religious and philosophical person I do care about my environment and believe we have a responsibility to minimize waste and be respectful to all life, but there are some kinds of life that has to perish for the sustenance of others, there is just no way around that. As long as the animals are properly cared for (even in farming situations) and the leathers are more or less a byproduct of meat intended animals I personally have no problem with it. sometimes what we perceive as evil, is often natures way of doing good to the environment as a whole...........
                            I have come to realize that even the most well intentioned among us can excecute ideas that seems good at first but results in unexpected disaster. I do though have a tinge of concern about what are the motivation of many vegans whose aggressive stance sometimes seem to border on religious fanaticism.....
                            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                              • Jan 2011

^ i almost feel any sort of fanaticism, political or religious or what have you is rooted in the ego however unlikely it may seem or however much the holder would deny

Comment

• Lane
                                • Aug 2010

The fact that we consume and use animals for so many things ensures their survival more so than if we left them alone in the wild. The reason why I feel this is the case is people that use them for profitable gain have an incentive to prevent their extinction from taking place. By producing all these man made alternatives we just pollute the planet, and cause animal habitats to be damaged more so in the long term.

However, I find vegans also have an obsession with not causing pain to animals as well so I dunno how to address that aspect well. I'm not fine with shoving hundreds of chickens into confined cages, but I don't see what really is ideal. All I can say is where do we draw the line? Err, do plants feel pain? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎