Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

You can theorize about CCP ad infinitum--even say that his work is itself a theorization that enacts what crouka so nicely called coincidentia oppositorum (or even more nicely, the concept of the labyrinth)...that perhaps an element of this enactment is to undermine conventional definitions that limit our understanding of what constitutes aesthetic imperfection.

But lest your theorizations lapse into academic irrelevance, which at this point, they nearly are, you have to consider the place of what B.I. is calling potential accidentality. The fact that he sells clothes and not strictly art objects (and I mean art objects in the traditional sense of things that appear for contemplation in museums and galleries) means that his attempt at producing this fascistic perfection that Christian and Fuuma are claiming inevitably and necessarily fails. Saying he "comes close," is not enough, guys.

So please explain, oh CCP scholars , how this inevitable failure fits into your and Carol''s theory.
    Last edited by laika; 09-30-2012, 11:52 AM.
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Chant
      Banned
      • Jun 2008

Laïka, I'm not sure to understand how clothes not being art would be a counter-argument.
      Last edited by Chant; 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Chant
        Banned
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by laika View Post
        You can theorize about CCP ad infinitum--even say that his work is itself a theorization that enacts what crouka so nicely called coincidentia oppositorum (or even more nicely, the concept of the labyrinth)...that perhaps an element of this enactment is to undermine conventional definitions that limit our understanding of what constitutes aesthetic imperfection.
        Problem with this idea, at least if it refers to Nicolas de Cues, is that it is, to say it short, non heraclitean, where CCP's work is definititely heraclitean, and not at all mystical.
        Last edited by Chant; 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM. Reason: mystical, and not mystic

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

^My point is that you are treating the objects that Carol creates in a very narrow sense....as though they exists only as theories to be further theorized, or as art objects (and I use this category very roughly) to be contemplated. If you treat them more broadly and in their proper context (which includes art and theory, yes, but also clothes [to be worn]), the perfection premise becomes more complicated. I'm not so much setting up a counter argument as asking you to push further.

edit: Fair enough on the problem with calling it coincidentia oppositorum...that's another conversation I'll look forward to having....
          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Chant
            Banned
            • Jun 2008

No, not at all, I've always considered them in their relation with the body of the wearer, and not as objects by themselves - event though they're made to work as objects by themselves as well (but not like object of art), hence the heraclitean, i.e conflictual relation between the garment and the wearer. CCP once said that it was like in a couple.
            But it's difficult to say everything in one post - or on a board. I'll PM you.
            Last edited by Chant; 09-30-2012, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post
              Problem with this idea, at least if it refers to Nicolas de Cues, is that it is, to say it short, non heraclitean, where CCP's work is definititely heraclitean, and not at all mystic.
              What do you mean ? That his goal is not to go beyond the opposites, but to show them at work in a unique space ?
              I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
              I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by merz
                thats rather unfortunate - i was looking forward to this exchange. kinda defeats the point of this place doesn't it.
                agreed
                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Chant
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                  What do you mean ? That his goal is not to go beyond the opposites, but to show them at work in a unique space ?
                  Exactly. That's why the open seam (and its different forms, that have to be distinguished) is not only a beautifull technical invention but as well kind of image of the work itself. Ca tire à hue et à dia.

Comment

• crouka
                    • Jul 2007

although I used the term coincidentia oppositorum, trying to crystallize the idea quickly, what there was in my mind was g.b. marino, which the others that follow it imply.

in my eyes he sometimes looks as if he was even trying to make everything as 'ambivalent' as possible.

an image that makes you wonder if you are looking at a man in the cage or reversely you are in the cage watched by the man.

Comment

• messenoire
                      • Nov 2009

i just picked up some damir doma basics from that myhabit sale. i will post photos when i get them but damirs fabrics consistently blow me away. i have always been very impressed by the feel and composition when i view them in person. the rick selection sucks on myhabit and the prices arent very good.
                      i also picked up a pair of silent scens trainers from yoox because they were cheap and a good alternative to rick dunks. really minimal and very comfortable. they run about a half size big and work well with nearly anything because its just a black trainer. kind of nice to get away from shoes with heels though! maybe it's a cop out but i've been pairing them the most with drop crotch/voluminous pants. again they're just trainers so who cares how to style them but they work really well.

also as for the linea leather, they fit perfectly after a wear. i cant say enough about these pants. they're astonishing. sorry for the uncleanliness i am in the process of moving. if anyone has any styling advice for the leather pants i'd greatly appreciate it!

Comment

• Edward B
                        • Nov 2010

Guidi ankle boots 994T in calf leather

Comment

• Nizar
                          • Apr 2010

Ann Demeulemeester
                          Asymmetric Bomber Jacket

Comment

• michael_kard
                            • Oct 2010

/\ Nice. One of my favourite Ann jackets. SS07 was a great season.

I recently bought some basics for school and a Burberry Prorsum shearling coat which has yet to show up. I haven't been this excited in a while.

Dior FW12 re-release of a FW06 design or something like that

Helmut FW03
                            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Margiela:

Grey Cotton V-neck with Perforated Leather Patches

Black Wool Crew Neck with Leather Patches

Black Cotton Crew Neck with Perforated Leather Patches

Replica Belgian military jacket w. detachable fur collar:

Gloves:

SNS Herning

Stark cardigan in army green:
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• ashamed
                                • Jan 2011

fuuma, where art thou buying sns, if online nvm.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎