• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by schemedream View Post
    I've been trying to decipher designer trainers
    what do a pair of Nike's have to do with "designer trainers"...?

I might be missing the point. I admit that. Each to their own for sure.
    What is there to get or miss.. they are superb quality running shoes but obviously suitable for any use. I have two pairs of all black Nikes including almost identical flyknits and Air max's, I use them just like any other sneakers - when I don't feel like wearing "real shoes". Whether you are a sneaker person is a completely different matter.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• t-bone
      • Dec 2009

Ha, I have the same design saved on Nike ID right now. I might actually go with the bicolor grey/black knit, still deciding. When I got my first pair of all-black-everything Nike Frees a couple years ago I stopped wearing boots/shoes entirely for the whole summer.

Comment

• schemedream
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
        what do a pair of Nike's have to do with "designer trainers"...?
        I guess it was more of a question about the RO Adidas and the MMM converse then about the nike's in question. The reason I do ask in regards to the Nike's is because every pair that I've owned falls apart and isn't really considered "superb quality" by anybody in the fitness industry. Most people understand that they are more for the aesthetic and that if you are looking for higher quality running shoes you lean more towards Asics, New Balance, or Brooks. Therein lies my question. Maybe designer wasn't the best word for it. They obviously look more like trainers than a traditional sneaker. I understand the use of sneakers in modern society and own quite a few pairs myself. It's more of a question as to whether something that is obviously a trainer can or should be used in a street style or casual sense instead of its intended purpose as a utility for fitness. It just seems confused to me.

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

i have been wearing gazelles and sambas all summer long.
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• snafu
            • Apr 2008

I wear them pretty much anywhere (except the gym; since i don't go), im at uni on my feet all day in a pretty dusty environment but when winter properly comes il probably change to boots. But i kinda gave up wearing boots/shoes since i bought my last pair of free runs, but il go back to them when i feel like it.

I hate the whole utilitarianism argument especially on a fashion forum; it seems like a stupid place to have it. Obviously aesthetics come into play here and i don't see the problem with buying something simply for an aesthetic reason. If you think they are 'sick' its kinda a stupid question to ask.

I used to do competitive running and i have run in nikes for fair distances and they seemed to hold up fine, not cause me any pain in my legs when i ran. As far as quality my nikes have held up pretty good... considering i live in them.

Nike is not a utilitarian brand its a sportswear brand that is killing the lifestyle market compared to its obvious competitors.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
              i have been wearing gazelles and sambas all summer long.
              you disgust me!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

i needed to confess. i could not bear it any longer...

part 2 of this confession. i have been wearing a pair of nudie dry denim jeans for about 3 months straight. cotton with spandex. not even good denim.

i tell you what though. it has inspired a bit of a crossroads in my journey in personal style. i have been damn comfy all summer. not sure what to make of this. i haven't looked this generic in many many years and it has had nothing but a positive impact on my day to day life.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

As a punishment you will have to break in every pair of CCP boots for every member of the forum. Bleed for your sins!
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

sign me up!

its just been too damn hot here to care what i'm wearing and grown men in shorts is a little weird to me so i bought the lightest weight denim i could find and said aw fuck it. now i can't wait for it to cool off and wear my real clothes.

BUT, the comfort thing did get me thinking to go more casual these days. like BBS/A1923 trainers and hoodies and the like...

but i'll never give up my harndens and sissypees. a more adult way to play dress up

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by schemedream View Post
                      I guess it was more of a question about the RO Adidas and the MMM converse then about the nike's in question. The reason I do ask in regards to the Nike's is because every pair that I've owned falls apart and isn't really considered "superb quality" by anybody in the fitness industry. Most people understand that they are more for the aesthetic and that if you are looking for higher quality running shoes you lean more towards Asics, New Balance, or Brooks. Therein lies my question. Maybe designer wasn't the best word for it. They obviously look more like trainers than a traditional sneaker. I understand the use of sneakers in modern society and own quite a few pairs myself. It's more of a question as to whether something that is obviously a trainer can or should be used in a street style or casual sense instead of its intended purpose as a utility for fitness. It just seems confused to me.
                      well my idea of quality in trainers is admittedly limited and I don't know anyone in the "fitness industry", I just use sneakers for leisure, running and the gym. the Nike's I've had have catered well to this and the flyknits particularly seem to be well made and of high quality, but this is just my experience.

As for using running shoes casually, I don't see a reason why it'd make more sense to use basketball shoes or any other sneakers - most are originally designed for a specific sport but have been adopted into casual fashion... Running shoes used for "leisure" is nothing new either. I know its certainly not everyone's thing, and perhaps its not the most typical thing you see on SZ, but personally I can't be arsed to wear some handmade leather boots when I go to the park with my daughter, ride my bike somewhere, or make a quick run to the grocery store.
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I like my new Nikes free flyknits cause I don't have to tie the laces!

Lowrey, I agree about the park, but the grocery store?! You are pushing it!

BTW, the amount of R&D Nike puts in to their stuff is mind-boggling. Talking about DESIGN. Damn.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
                          • Oct 2010

ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• kunk75
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

the flyknit hyperfeel is incredible, they took the top 5 designers and developers and frankenstein every performance inovation into one show. i used nike as a case study in r&d in class last week

Originally posted by Faust View Post

BTW, the amount of R&D Nike puts in to their stuff is mind-boggling. Talking about DESIGN. Damn.

Comment

• upsilonkng
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post

I don't think anyone dominates any field as much as Nike dominates the athletic footwear field. They have something like 90% of all bball shoe sales in the states. they make 5 great pairs of shoes a year, usually 2 bball and 3 training/running but no one can touch those 5 and then a year later adidas will put out some weak version of that, meanwhile reebok is still trying to exit the 90's.. fila is just trying to get into the 90's and puma still thinks hard rubber is impact protection.
                              to put it in sz terms
                              rick=nike
                              gareth=adidas
                              oak nyc= everyone else

Comment

• kunk75
                                Banned
                                • May 2008

nike has 54%, adidas 8.6% and puma 4% in the states with NB getting the rest. they have been the market share leader since 1989

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎