X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eton97
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by vegettoo View Post
    i havent own a pair of renna derby,i had a experience of my a1923 and ccp derby made from kangaroo leather,through abt a year of wearing the shape of the shoes starting to get quite loose,im just wondering abt the stiffness of renna leather and how durable is it
    Renna is substantially thicker and stiffer than roo
    you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• daou0782
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

is this your first purchase from guyi? if not, how's dealing with them?

Comment

• schemedream
        • Jan 2013

I said I would do a write up on those kinda ugly kinda awesome burnt orange / tobacco colored a1923's.

The color was quite true online. I like that they aren't as loud as I had originally anticipated. I didn't know at the time of purchase, but these are bison leather. They are super thick and juicy. Only took a few days of walking around to start to break them in.

The dye job is really interesting. I'm not sure it is one. Not super familiar with the process, but from what I can tell the dye has been treated or heated, or painted on. The black undertones are swirled and peeping through in different parts of the shoe in a completely unpredictable and inconsistent way. I'm curious if this will change over time, or as the finish ages, or as the leather breaks in, or perhaps not at all.

They are a bit too close to my skin tone to wear with shorts without tights or long socks. Just looks kinda strange because it washes my skin tone out. Even though they could be a bit louder, I've come to realize that they are such a strong shoe because of the color that I have to let them be the center of my fits.

Overall, I was waffling on the idea of these staying in my wardrobe. Yesterday sealed them in my eyes. I'm hype on them and they fit amazingly. Stoked I got them at ~75% off. I don't know if I would have paid retail (~$2200+) because I don't think, imo, they are versatile enough to warrant such a price tag.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by vegettoo
          schemedream,lucky for the price
          That's one way of seeing it. Another way is that he just wasted half a grand.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• schemedream
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            That's one way of seeing it. Another way is that he just wasted half a grand.
            Another is that I respect your opinion and I'm going to wear the shit out of them anyway. I'm sure we both think they ugly, so at least we both share that perspective

Comment

• deltapie
              • Feb 2014

I'm sure they look great in the context of a full outfit. I remember seeing them on sale at the archive and thinking of them as more of a punchline to a bad joke, they actually look much nicer than stock pictures would suggest.
              "Keep Mr. Saberi healthy — he knows too much

Comment

• schemedream
                • Jan 2013

The reason I pulled the trigger was because I was in there talking to Arthur about a1923's in general. He liked them enough to buy a full size run in this colorway. The price tag at retail was too much to even consider because of my initial reaction, even though I liked them. He has some rather unique insights when it comes to this particular niche and after owning my pair for few weeks I've come to love them and I understand what attracted him to them in the first place.

They are a bit intimidating because they are, in fact (well..... imo), never going to be anything other than ugly. The amount of people who stop and compliment me on them is staggering and makes me question a few things. Maybe my strict views on color and fashion is what is dictating my perception of them. Maybe they are so out of the ordinary that the layman is forced to comment out of discomfort or even curiosity. Societal etiquette dictates formalities. Thus the compliments. Or maybe it's a like a trainwreck.....one can't stop watching even though it's wrong.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

I don't like the color sandwiched between the black sole and the black jeans, that's where a lot of the 'ugly' lies and it seems a bit blunt or brutish or harsh. Tt could be a beautiful shoe in the right context, paired with linen pants or something with a nice texture and a softer, less severe color/shade. But I don't think most people have that kind of wardrobe.
                  bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• applecrisp
                    • Jun 2013

Those things are ugly but so are drips. Ugly can be good sometimes.

I think they should look really cool once the glossiness of the leather cools off a bit. I'd love to see what they look like with a lot of wear.

Comment

• schemedream
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                      I don't like the color sandwiched between the black sole and the black jeans, that's where a lot of the 'ugly' lies and it seems a bit blunt or brutish or harsh. Tt could be a beautiful shoe in the right context, paired with linen pants or something with a nice texture and a softer, less severe color/shade. But I don't think most people have that kind of wardrobe.
                      I have some other options. Been playing around with them because I've never owned a shoe that is so loud (or anywhere close to this color. I don't think I own a single orange anything). If I had something that I was happy with I would have posted to WAYWT . I definitely appreciate the advice on fabric and texture. I usually don't associate something that is lighter or softer like linen with sneakers. It's nice to think about things differently. Thanks!

Originally posted by applecrisp View Post
                      I think they should look really cool once the glossiness of the leather cools off a bit. I'd love to see what they look like with a lot of wear.
                      I don't want to hold onto the expectation of that, but it's something that I'm eager to see develop (if that's what it is going to do). The sheen is a bit overbearing. Before I got them vibrammed they were squeaking a shit load on the hardwood floors. That, the sheen, and the upturned toe had me on that "fucking clown shoes" tip.

Comment

• noirgt
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by vegettoo View Post
                        i havent own a pair of renna derby,i had a experience of my a1923 and ccp derby made from kangaroo leather,through abt a year of wearing the shape of the shoes starting to get quite loose,im just wondering abt the stiffness of renna leather and how durable is it
                        Well my A1923 kangaroo one piece derby are still in good shape after a year and a half... need to find a new pair of laces though...

Comment

• dji
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by noirgt View Post
                          Well my A1923 kangaroo one piece derby are still in good shape after a year and a half... need to find a new pair of laces though...
                          sissy kanga derbz after nearly 3 years, worn a reasonable amount (mostly while drunk):

anyway, back to the recent purchases.

Comment

• noirgt
                            • Oct 2012

Yeah I've worn them quite a lot under various conditions.
                            Well sorry about making this thread "recent fxxked" lol, here're some recent purchase. something boring and something interesting

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

pieces for changing conditions. thanks Art and The Archive for the WM cap, and of course to E for the temptation.

Comment

• nicelynice
                                • Oct 2009

The down jacket is buy Viridi Anne, and I believe the blazer is Julius. That down jacket is one of the most functional "fashion" down jackets I've seen in quite awhile, very warm and water-resistent. I've been let down by a lot of down jackets by Rick and Kazuyuki Kumagai Attachment that are either not so warm or can't hold up to the elements, but that VA piece is fantastic. I woulda picked one had I not grabbed a Junya x Duvetica down jacket last year

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎