Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregor
    • Oct 2014

pontifex how heavy are horisaki hats, and do they make you sweat as much as i'd imagine? they're gorgeous, but seem as far from practical as a hat can be.

Comment

• Pontifex
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by gregor View Post
      pontifex how heavy are horisaki hats, and do they make you sweat as much as i'd imagine? they're gorgeous, but seem as far from practical as a hat can be.
      This hat is basically a bunt fur/felt hat so yes maybe not perfect for high summer heat if you live somewhere closer to the equator than me.

Felt thickness is acctually not as thick as I thought.
      oh, R'lyeh?

Comment

• TabulaRasa
        • Jun 2014

Thanks to Nic Tan at Eth0s Shanghai for his help with my second GBS piece. So happy.

Geoffrey B Small EVJ03 Linen Jacket
        The music I make.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Very nice!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nerd
            • May 2016

Long-awaited grail has arrived. One of the most gorgeous pieces I've ever handled, full of hidden, inner beauty, very "Japanese" in terms of aesthetics. Treated cotton, polyethylene lining, silver details, good dose of pure craftsmanship.

Taichi Murakami. Mountain parka.

It looks beautiful!

Japan is his native country, though, I can find his works in just a few boutiques. I wish I find his collections in more boutiques.

Comment

• augustinn
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by TabulaRasa View Post
              Thanks to Nic Tan at Eth0s Shanghai for his help with my second GBS piece. So happy.

Geoffrey B Small EVJ03 Linen Jacket
              Which do you prefer? THe linen PH you posted recently or this GBS?

Comment

• falkenauge
                • Nov 2015

Just received this via DHL. Thanks to Lorien at the NYC store for the wonderful service. Hard to find Boris in my size (XL or 45).

Boris Bidjan Saberi
                BAMBA3 F2405M
                Kangaroo Skin

I think I'll put a thin vibram sole on them as I've heard that the sole is not the best.

Comment

• TabulaRasa
                  • Jun 2014

Augustinn,

It's a tough call. They are very different pieces. The GBS is super light and much more drapey than the PH. The PH, being lined as they are, fits a bit tighter and the fabric is much rougher.

But the GBS makes me smile more when I wear it. And it's a bonus that Geoffrey is so accessible and dedicated to what he does. So I guess that's the deciding vote.
                  The music I make.

Comment

• augustinn
                    • Sep 2013

That's cool. I don't have any GBS yet but the PH I do have makes me smile...often b/c I am the only person around who is wearing it

Comment

• byhand
                      • Dec 2011

If it's exclusivity that you are after, GBS eclipses PH. PH is practically mass-market in comparison.

Comment

• DNHT
                        • Dec 2015

Exclusivity aside, GBS's clothes are just so much more well-made than PH; they are absolutely beautiful when you get your hands on them.

(I can't imagine GBS ever making a jacket with glued/fused linings that permanently pucker in the rain; that's the sign of a garment cheaply cranked out in a factory, not made with love, by hand, in a workshop, by craftspeople. Two of my PH jackets have gone to shit upon encountering water...which makes no sense given that they're allegedly hand-washable).

If you wanted to be more poetic about it, GBS's clothes preserve the aura of their creator within them, in a way that (sadly) PH does not.

Comment

• TabulaRasa
                          • Jun 2014

I should have begun my initial response to the "which piece do I like better" by saying that except for the fact that they are both linen and both jackets there's not much else they share in common.

But I like my PH for certain days/events/performances and my GBS for others. The GBS is so super light you would swear it was unlined (in a good way).

I know there was a serious kerfuffle regarding comparing the two designers a while back and I just want to steer clear of that if at all possible.
                          The music I make.

Comment

• DNHT
                            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by TabulaRasa View Post
                            I should have begun my initial response to the "which piece do I like better" by saying that except for the fact that they are both linen and both jackets there's not much else they share in common.

But I like my PH for certain days/events/performances and my GBS for others. The GBS is so super light you would swear it was unlined (in a good way).

I know there was a serious kerfuffle regarding comparing the two designers a while back and I just want to steer clear of that if at all possible.
                            Yes, you're absolutely right, my apologies; it is unhelpful to start comparing the two. I guess my wish is that I could find in other designers' outputs the love that has evidently been put into GBS's work. But that is of course part of what makes Geoffrey's clothes so special...

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DNHT View Post
                              Yes, you're absolutely right, my apologies; it is unhelpful to start comparing the two. I guess my wish is that I could find in other designers' outputs the love that has evidently been put into GBS's work. But that is of course part of what makes Geoffrey's clothes so special...
                              How do you find that? A serious question. Is it something that's evident in the clothes themselves or is it evident in the way that Geoffrey communicates the love for his work and the care put into each garment?
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DNHT
                                • Dec 2015

That's a fair question, Faust. The honest answer is that it’s something that I’m always looking for when I’m buying clothes - and I think it’s most visible in the details...

I bought a couple of things from GBS before I came across Stylezeitgeist, so at that point I had never read any of Geoffrey’s posts, which convey the genuinely extra-ordinary commitment he has to designing and making the very best clothes that he and his team can. But when I first saw his clothes in the flesh, what struck me about them was that they were made very differently to most of the other clothing in the shop.

If you look at a button on a GBS garment, it has been hand-sewn, cross-stitched on a little stalk. And the buttonholes are immediately recognisable as having been handsewn. A designer doesn’t HAVE to do this, and most don’t; but when they choose to do it, it has taken more time, cost more money and effort, and has taken a craftsman to do it. And there are the tags attached with the explanations of the cloth's provenance; and each garment is signed; and without getting too ‘menswear forum’ about things, the cut of the notched lapels on his jackets suggest that these have been handcut - by eye, by someone who cares.

As I say, you don’t HAVE to make clothes like this (or bother training people to do it), but choosing to do so is a sure sign of someone who gives a damn - both about what they do, but also about the customers they expect to buy their clothes...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎