• Show
Clear All
  • tony
    • Sep 2007

Re: Recent Purchases

[quote user="Faust"]This is not only an essential, but a signature part
    of Rick's aesthetic. The arms are long and skinny on purpose, so you
    can and should bunch them up. Personally, I think it's great, and it's
    good to see a designer do something deliberate like that.

Mike, I think the collar looks wonderful. I am band of oversize collars.[Y]

[/quote]

yup,
    you are right, but it looks weird either, they have to be long and
    skinny, but this ain´t skinny for me, and i think they are a bit to
    long so it is to bunched up. but thats only my taste..

[quote user="mike lowrey"][quote user="tony"] hm it looked completely different on me, which size is it? and did you tried one smaller?

but hm... the chest and the shoulders look good but the arms... hm a bit weird.

probably to long? a friend of mine tried an XS once and the arms´ve been way too long, almost at his fingernails.. how tall are you?[/quote]

this is very snug and its a size L, no sense to try a smaller one.

I'm 184cm, but as said the sleeves are obviously supposed to be long and stacked, its not a matter of sizing.

[/quote]

i´m 186cm and i bought my jacket in S so my sleeves are shorter than yours (obviously the length of the arms grows with the size)

so actually it is a matter of sizing. but as far as i see you wouldn´t fit in a smaler one, your chest and shoulders fit perfectly.

however, i think it depence on the jacket, every jacket is a bit different (even of the same type) caused by the treatment of the leather, so on one it lost more length on the other a bit less...

oh and i don´t want to say the jacket looks bad on you, it is still really good but not perfect, its just the arm detail which is wrong (for my taste) but if you like it, i would keep it

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

[quote user="tony"]i´m 186cm and i bought my jacket in S so my sleeves are shorter than yours (obviously the length of the arms grows with the size)

so actually it is a matter of sizing. but as far as i see you wouldn´t fit in a smaler one, your chest and shoulders fit perfectly.[/quote]

hmm, is your jacket this same model? didn't you say the arm length on the XS someone tried was very long as well?

what I meant with the long sleeves not being a matter of sizing is that they're not long because the size is wrong. unless you have extremely long arms, the sleeves most likely stack a bit on this jacket, thats how its meant to be.

anyway, the sleeve lengthon a Medium and Large is exactly the same, for example, so it doesn't growgradually atleast on those sizes.

D, yea I'll definately test it a couple of times more atleast before sending it back ;)

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• the breaks
        • Sep 2007

The jacket is amazing but i agree that the collar looks off somehow when it's not closed...
        Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Who?
          • Aug 2007

Mike I think that jacket looks great on you either way. I see what you are saying about the collar looking tighter in the LVR pic, but the collar only looks that way because the model has his face tucked into it.
          WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• Orochi
            • Sep 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="wire.artist"]I'm an architect myself and lately I'm into the monochrome bunch. :) but here in Madrid all the young architects are hypsters, so boring.[/quote]

[N]

[/quote]

A lotof the undergrads and first year master's students in my school seem to be (wannabe) hipstersas well, so I guess there's a pattern of messy unbathed youths gravitating towards this field. I normally don't care for them, but in this case it's nice to have something completely different to offset the perenially-constipated and holier-than-thou personas currently populating our faculty building.

Back to the jackets themselves, I have yet to receive them in the mail, but I'm hoping I canpull them off in a way that's within thelooser dress codes of most architectural offices. Plus I'll most likely end up working in Hong Kong anyway,a city with its own bizarre definition of sartorial appropriateness. [73]

And yes, Torontonians have got to be one of the worst-dressed bunch of people among North American cities, architects included. This is a city passionately in love with the Eurotrash look.

Mike, your leather jacket is gorgeous and I don't actually mind howthenecklooks when worn open. Sometimes I find RO pieces to be slightly overdone, but this one is perfectly restrained and versatile.

Another recent purchase that I'm very happy with, a grey Bill Amberg satchel. Amazing leather and very reasonable price.

Comment

• analog
              • Dec 2006

Very nice satchel. Is it a snap-button closure?

Are you studying in Toronto? I have to agree this city definitely lacks style.

Comment

• Orochi
                • Sep 2007

[quote user="analog"]

Very nice satchel. Is it a snap-button closure?

Are you studying in Toronto? I have to agree this city definitely lacks style.

[/quote]

Thanks - there's actually no hardware for closure at all, which is fine by me since I'm too lazy tosecure itanyway.

I was born in Hong Kong but grew up in Toronto, so I call both my hometowns. In the latter caseit's getting more and more embarrassing to make that association though, and I'm now determined to leave it for good once my studies are done. You'd probably understand without any futher elaboration since you're a fellow Torontonian.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

that bag is very nice, any more info? I've been looking for a leather one that would fit my laptop

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Orochi
                    • Sep 2007

Mike, you can find more info here: http://www.billamberg.com/product/Bi...hels/30193.htm

A studded version (which I'm not crazy about) of the same bag is actually on eBay right now at a very low price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BILL-AMBERG-FISH...QQcmdZViewItem

But I wouldn't recommend it for holding laptops - the opening is a bitnarrow for wide items. It's quite deep though, sobetter suitedfor multiple knick knacks.

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

hmm, would you mind measuring the opening? I really like the shape of it, very close to what I've been thinking about.

Comment

• Orochi
                        • Sep 2007

It stretches out to be about 14" - but be warned that it's not that pleasant to cram in or yank out anything wider than 12", especially when the bag's worn against your body. Sometimes it'd take me way too much concentrated effort to put ineven an A4-sized binder.

They also make a vertical version of this bag with a zippered opening, which may be better suited for carrying smaller laptops.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

cool thanks for the info!

oh, and just so you guys dont think I'm completely nuts for possibly not keeping the jacket ;)
                          heres what it looks like worn open, this is the problem I have with the collar:

somehow magically I managed to get it to stay up in the earlier picture for a sec,which looked allright, but it doesn't stay like that unfortunately :P

Comment

• Jshockmtl
                            • Oct 2006

I just bought the Rick Owens suede combat boots> They are simply amazing. I can pair them down or up they are that versatile.

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

Mike, it still gets my nod of approval! It looks fantastic.

I went to Maxfield today hoping to find it so I could try it on, but they didn't have that style.

I did however try on the RO trainers and came out with a few things. Pics to come...
                              "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• analog
                                • Dec 2006

Mike, that may not be the look you wanted / were going for, but in its own way it still looks good! Of the three pics you posted, this one (jacket open) is my fave.

OT but I wish RO would use a double-headed zipper on his leather jackets.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎