• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Your recent acquisition

Could be a coincidence. Some stores also request exclusive items and get them.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

It's most definitely possible that no one in NY ordered those pieces because; they didn't want them or because production was going to be later than wanted.

For the company I work for now, we have production windows in our catalog so the customer/retailer knows when they can place an order for a particular piece. I'm sure RO has something like this.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Cas could be right - NYC always pushes delivery schedule forward, which also results in earlier sales - you wouldn't want your product to hang for 6-8 weeks and then put it on sale.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

I was just thinking of this;

RO (and other high end designers) could be making a lot of their product 'to order'. Meaning, a store places their order for a certain window (not quite sure how it would be determined who gets what window...could depend on the pieces)and it goes into production all at once. So while Barneys received their two tone leather jacket, it was still weeks later that Komakino received theirs. So Barneys got an earlier production time with all of their first order pieces being made at once, as they ordered it.

It wouldn't be cost effective at all to do it this way, but this may be one factor into why designer clothing costs so much.

This is just a stab in the dark though.

Maybe Jon or Campbell can come in and explain....or better yet, we can make a whole new topic? lol

Comment

• Piffen
            • Aug 2007

Maybe something got lost in translation here.. But I believe this to be on topic.

I spoke to a guy at the only shop in Sweden selling R.O. and he told me that their order was made after they've placed it, there's no stockhouse anywhere etc. Meaning, as I understood him, R.O.s products are 'made to order'.. Or did I misinterpret the term?

But maybe this is just obvious.. I don't know, or maybe the sa didn't know what he was speaking of, he sure didn't seem like he knew.

Comment

• deuxmille
              • Nov 2006

This is the most probable option in my opinion.

The process would go something like this

make samples > show > showroom > stores make their orders > order fabric and start production > get paid the balance > ship.

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

[quote user="deuxmille"]

This is the most probable option in my opinion.

The process would go something like this

make samples > show > showroom > stores make their orders > order fabric and start production > get paid the balance > ship.

[/quote]

I think that's most definitely how it goes. I'm just wondering if they put in the production order based on store or by piece?

Comment

• Jon
                  • Apr 2008

[quote user="Casius"]

I was just thinking of this;

RO (and other high end designers) could be making a lot of their product 'to order'. Meaning, a store places their order for a certain window (not quite sure how it would be determined who gets what window...could depend on the pieces)and it goes into production all at once. So while Barneys received their two tone leather jacket, it was still weeks later that Komakino received theirs. So Barneys got an earlier production time with all of their first order pieces being made at once, as they ordered it.

It wouldn't be cost effective at all to do it this way, but this may be one factor into why designer clothing costs so much.

This is just a stab in the dark though.

Maybe Jon or Campbell can come in and explain....or better yet, we can make a whole new topic? lol

[/quote]

Alright... well I'm not the expert on this but I'll try to explain the RO scenario above... what possibly happened is that, because we are a small boutique (working on a much smaller scale than Barney's) we usually wait for our orders to be complete before they are shipped. Sometimes a range or two of pants (or the like- which was the case this season) is delayed in production. Whereas Barney would chose to ship whatever is ready because of the bulk of their buy, we are 'forced' to wait until the pants (considerably large proportion of our buy) are completed so that we can receive product all at once and avoiding the costs associated with receiving multiple shipments.

Originally posted by merz
                  perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

back on track, apologies for technical difficulties.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

[quote user="Faust"]back on track, apologies for technical difficulties.
                      [/quote]

yea, i typed a very lengthy PM, to a fellow member, only to see Oops!!!! something went wrong went i pressed enter on my computer...........[:'(]

Good for me though, i should have been sewing than typing[86]

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• landwolf
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2008

wrong thread

Comment

• Casius
                          • Dec 2006

Wrong thread?

Comment

• kira
                            • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"]back on track, apologies for technical difficulties.
                            [/quote]

ahhh. got my fix. started to feel like i was having withdrawals... not sure what thread that should go into. [^o)]

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                              • Nov 2007

Thanks for the input guys. I guess it kinda sorta makes sense. Perhaps it's all in my head and maybe the grass is always greener on the other side but it seems to me like some of the more interesting and edgy pieces inexplicably appear late in the season and halfway across the world.
                              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Casius
                                • Dec 2006

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]Thanks for the input guys. I guess it kinda sorta makes sense. Perhaps it's all in my head and maybe the grass is always greener on the other side but it seems to me like some of the more interesting and edgy pieces inexplicably appear late in the season and halfway across the world.[/quote]

I definitely agree with that but that may all change once the RO store opens in 2 months....At least, let's hope.

But the US definitely isn't as adventurous as say, Japan.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎