• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKA*NYC
    • Nov 2007

Re: Your recent acquisition

[quote user="Casius"]

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]Thanks for the input guys. I guess it kinda sorta makes sense. Perhaps it's all in my head and maybe the grass is always greener on the other side but it seems to me like some of the more interesting and edgy pieces inexplicably appear late in the season and halfway across the world.[/quote]

I definitely agree with that but that may all change once the RO store opens in 2 months....At least, let's hope.

But the US definitely isn't as adventurous as say, Japan.

[/quote]

double post --- sorry

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• AKA*NYC
      • Nov 2007

[quote user="Casius"]

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]Thanks for the input guys. I guess it kinda sorta makes sense. Perhaps it's all in my head and maybe the grass is always greener on the other side but it seems to me like some of the more interesting and edgy pieces inexplicably appear late in the season and halfway across the world.[/quote]

I definitely agree with that but that may all change once the RO store opens in 2 months....At least, let's hope.

But the US definitely isn't as adventurous as say, Japan.

[/quote]

I hope so. It would be awesome if the store constantly gets new inventory. I'd like to see them open up with some badass late spring stuff.

Comment

• bakla
        • Oct 2006

I saved this earlier so I could post it once the web settings cleared up.

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]So is it just a coincidence that the retailers that are receiving shipments late in the season are also receiving items and/or colorways that never appeared at the beginning of the season in New York?[/quote]

In some cases, stores get their shipments last because they are lower priority, whether they have bad credit with the supplier, or are a small store, etc. Bigger accounts can get first priority because the bulk of payments to be received from them will be welcome. You have to remember that designers often have to pay for everything up front to produce their items, and only get paid 30 to 60 days (depending on terms) after shipping the items to their established clients (new customers often have to pay deposits for their orders, but existing customers get credit and terms). You can imagine how much overhead they need to deal with while waiting for stores to pay them. At the beginning of the season, after all orders are in, it's great to receive, for example, a million dollars in orders... until you realize that you need about half a million dollars to produce that order, and won't get your profit unless you ship on time, and then you still have to wait 1 to 3 months to receive your monies. All that while trying to stay afloat, AND produce the next season's set of designs and samples while you're selling and delivering the current season's product.

[quote user="Piffen"]

Maybe something got lost in translation here.. But I believe this to be on topic.

I spoke to a guy at the only shop in Sweden selling R.O. and he told me that their order was made after they've placed it, there's no stockhouse anywhere etc. Meaning, as I understood him, R.O.s products are 'made to order'.. Or did I misinterpret the term?

But maybe this is just obvious.. I don't know, or maybe the sa didn't know what he was speaking of, he sure didn't seem like he knew.
        [/quote]

This is correct for many designers, I think. Stock can be made to forecast good sales, but every day you store something in a warehouse without a final destination to sell it, is money lost. So often, most designers/manufacturers seldom make more than what is ordered. That's why items can sell out and you can't get re-orders. Sometimes other stores cancel their orders (maybe it was too late for them, or they fall on hard times and cancel orders because they know they can't pay, etc) and their unshipped items are made available to stores that want them. This could also answer AKA's question about unforeseen styles popping up. But there are lots of scenarios.

[quote user="Casius"][quote user="deuxmille"]

This is the most probable option in my opinion.

The process would go something like this

make samples > show > showroom > stores make their orders > order fabric and start production > get paid the balance > ship.

[/quote]

I think that's most definitely how it goes. I'm just wondering if they put in the production order based on store or by piece?

[/quote]

Most production is best done assembly line, so sales figures for an item determine how many of that item in total is ordered from the factory, and they create the entire lot based on that. Then the factories start to allocate items according to store, and put store orders together to ship. Like someone else mentioned, some don't mind getting things piecemeal (say, for stores in Europe, if the factories are in the Europe, it would make it easier to ship partial orders), but with shipping costs as well as taxes and duties, some stores (especially overseas) prefer to receive things all at once, but as someone also mentioned, that will affect how they can sell it. Late arrivals might mean you can't get full price for it, esp. if it's close to sale time.

And to curiouscharles, I'm an art director for fashion accounts mostly, but I deal a lot with marketing as well, so I have to understand how the business works to work my way around it. And I've worked in and around the fashion industry for over 30 years. So I hear a lot. :)

I'm glad that this tangent of the thread has spurred a nice discussion.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
          • Nov 2007

Thanks again George. Awesome information! I really appreciate it.

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

Another great post George.

I wonder if the fashion industry does similar things like the industry I'm in, in that they will produce 'special make up' items just for that store/customer? This is totally done separately from regular production and is usually done in small numbers.

I guess one example would be the suit for Atelier done by CCP. Or maybe those silver/black women's RO trainers being sold in Japan.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

absolutely, cas. big stores especially will ask for an exclusive - barneys does it all the time.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

I figured as much.

Will be cool to see more RO product once the store hits NY. I remember Ardee saying the Paris store had wallets, bags, etc. that were exclusive to the flagship.

Comment

• justine
                  • Jan 2007

Yeah Baby Yeah

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                    • Nov 2007

^ Excellent return to form for this thread.

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]^ Excellent return to form for this thread.[/quote]

It's been an RO trainer kind of week apparently. Just got confirmation mine shipped yesterday. :)

Comment

• curiouscharles
                        • Jan 2008

[quote user="Casius"]

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]^ Excellent return to form for this thread.[/quote]

It's been an RO trainer kind of week apparently. Just got confirmation mine shipped yesterday. :)

[/quote]

heh, my RO combat boots just shipped yesterday, maybe a RO week in general? ;p

-

Comment

• mount_light
                          • Feb 2008

lovely RO.....

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

i just had mine liquidized and am shooting them into my veins as i type this..
                            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• landwolf
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2008

Viridi-anne hooded full zip. thanks jon

Comment

• Casius
                                • Dec 2006

The pantalones w/ suspenders.

Big thanks to Bakla on this one!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎