• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by harr1s View Post
    Has anyone chipped or scraped their wood midsoles and have had success replacing them? I have some Raf boots with a wooden sole and I'm dismayed at how quickly the sharp edges of the sole have been ground down or warped. Literally a single outing results in this:

The gel attachment on the sole prevents me from slapping some vibram on there. I'd be okay with dealing with it and grinding the soles a bit if I knew they could be replaced somehow in the future... ideally by something with longevity.

Am I being too picky? I have other wood-soled shoes which don't show nearly as much wear as these do.
    You're...what...the....what are those big billowing marshmallows on the soles of your boots? You walk with those things attached to the soles?

Take them off posthaste and put a vibram on there that will run flush to the edges. A good, stiff sole protector will strengthen the wooden edges of the sole when applied correctly.

It looks like you'd be walking with pillows under your feet and they're just kind of floating in there.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by anomolies View Post
      how do you take care of julius leather boots?
      Piss on them and throw them in a garbage dumpster. The designer would approve.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• harr1s
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by beardown View Post
        You're...what...the....what are those big billowing marshmallows on the soles of your boots? You walk with those things attached to the soles?

Take them off posthaste and put a vibram on there that will run flush to the edges. A good, stiff sole protector will strengthen the wooden edges of the sole when applied correctly.

It looks like you'd be walking with pillows under your feet and they're just kind of floating in there.
        I'm guessing it's rubber. They came with these: http://www.thecorner.com/us/men/ankl...4367190ts.html

My pictures (especially the second) make it look really thick and awkward, but it's kind of hard to notice in person. I'll see if they can be cut.

Comment

• Oasis
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by harr1s View Post
          I'm guessing it's rubber. They came with these: http://www.thecorner.com/us/men/ankl...4367190ts.html

My pictures (especially the second) make it look really thick and awkward, but it's kind of hard to notice in person. I'll see if they can be cut.
          No hate but that looks horrible. It looks like the worst attempt at putting a protective sole on a boot every as opposed to part of the design. I see no reason it couldn't be removed and a proper protective sole added in it's place.
          Originally posted by christianef
          u looks like tbone on the juice.

Comment

• I think the sole is the whole deal with the design of the boot. it creates a hovering effect when you walk. pretty nice. seems insane to remove the one unique feature about something.

Comment

• Dawn
              • Mar 2009

I've just received my CCP derbies and they are a size too big. Even with the insole, it's still a tad too big. Is there anything that can be done by bringing it to a cobbler? Perhaps some sort of cushion can be added? :(

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

you could in theory add some sort of a cushion to the back, but I don't think its a good long term solution. You could add another insole or use a thicker one?
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mattizzle
                  • Oct 2011

cobblers

How to tell if the cobbler is experienced / good?
                  I am going to re-vibram my CCP boots in a few months time but am scare
                  I am in NZ so not many options :s

Comment

• Dawn
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                    you could in theory add some sort of a cushion to the back, but I don't think its a good long term solution. You could add another insole or use a thicker one?
                    I was just suggested some superfeet insoles, but even with that, I think there might still be a bit of room for me to feel comfortable to walk in. Gonna sell them and then size down one.

Comment

• KM80
                      • Mar 2008

For some reason one of my RO combat boots fit a lot looser than the other and I didn't want to do a different thickness of insole in each, so I had them sew a leather patch into the inside of the heel. It fit perfectly after but it of course left visible stitches on the heel of that boot. I didn't care for my purpose but doubt you would want to go that route on CCP Derbs.

Comment

• Ares
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
                        I've just received my CCP derbies and they are a size too big. Even with the insole, it's still a tad too big. Is there anything that can be done by bringing it to a cobbler? Perhaps some sort of cushion can be added? :(
                        There are a couple of things you could do:
                        1) wear thicker socks
                        2) insert a heel liner such as:
                        Explore Dr. Scholl's foot and skin care products. Find custom fit orthotics, shoe inserts and insoles, and education for healthier feet.

Pair of heel grips to attach to the interior stiffener of the heel of your shoe. Helps to prevent:- Slipping of the heel and its coming out of the shoe. Shipment within 24 hours. www.valmour.com

3) insert an extra insole or insoles

Try experimenting with different layers on different places before you achieve the most optimal fit. Then, if needed, you can glue them yourself or ask a shoemaker to help you with that.
                        If all that fails, it is best to sell the shoes as it is not possible to reduce the actual size of a shoe.

Comment

• Xhale12
                          • Jan 2012

Hey guys. Just got some guidis, my first pair of nice boots. Does it matter if I wear them around for a month or two before rubber soling them? Will it ruin them? I live in Los Angeles. I want to see how they feel without soles before getting I decide to do it.

Comment

• ErnstLudwig
                            • Oct 2011

If it would ruin them they would directly come with a leather sole from the factory.

There are different believes when to apply a rubber sole: a) directly upon purchase b) after some weeks/months of wear, so that the sole did have some time to be compressed.

I never experienced a difference...

Comment

• mattizzle
                              • Oct 2011

Anyone experience with the brand "Topy" rubber sole?
                              How does it compared to vibram and how much does it usually cost in the US?

Comment

• savant
                                • Jul 2011

hey guys just a bit concern. Is the heel an issue here ? If so, repairable or should I not really worry about it ?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎