Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBSCCP
    • Feb 2010

^ I nourish my boots / shoes and even leathers twice a year which makes fun and gives the leather a great and deep touch. Some even say nourishing allows the leather to age even more nicely. I am no chemist so I don´t know.

Comment

• casem
      • Sep 2006

Recently got these DD crepe sole boots, any advice on whether I should protect them somehow? The sole feels rather light weight and foamy so I'm worried it will wear down quickly. Is there no replacing layers that wear down on a shoe like this?

music

Comment

• magic
        • Feb 2009

you can add a rubber sole after it has worn down a bit on the sole. i can see there is 3-4mm sole added on your sole originally, so a cobbler are able to remove it and replace a new one.

Focusing on object details

Comment

• Reddancer
          • Jul 2012

SEATTLE

Don't go to Jim's Cobbler Shoppe in Seattle! Ruined my new pair of Guidis. I discussed with the clerk, requested a rubber sole only, no polishing or otherwise changing the rest of the boot, left them another pair of vibramed Guidis as an example, was told "no problem." When I picked them up, I was very sad to find that the cobbler had shaved off the sides of the sole, and painted over the distressed leather with shiny paint. When I suggested he shouldn't charge me, he got nasty "I don't work for free" -- no discount, no apology. Now my super cool Guidi boots are ruined -- they look like cop boots, and I had to pay for the "work."

Comment

• gavagai
            • May 2010

I have a pair of Guid baby calf boots. I basically never did anything with the exception of adding rubber and taps on the bottom. I pretty much wear these almost everyday.

I decided to give them an nice wipe down and clean but didn't want to use anything that would change the overall character as they are a matte black.

I used Saphir Renovator (neutral) and it worked amazingly well.

Comment

• blowdown
              • Feb 2011

^ the saphir cream you recommended above is only for nourishing the leather?water proofing? or simply just basic cleaning which i could probably do with a wet cloth, not very good with these so would appreciate some advice

i havent been doing anything to my pair of guidis for the past year or so, i think about time i actually do something to them.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                • Mar 2009

^ Water cleans leather superficially, and far from nourishing it, can damage it if it dries too fast.

And be careful when using Saphir renovator : that's an excellent product, but it must be used with parcimony. Strong leathers will hold it, but the softer ones tend to lose all structure if treated too often, or with too much of it. It may also affect the colour.

This must be enough :

As for water-proofing, leather is water proof enough, and water-proof sprays will cause more damage in the long term than simply leaving your soaked boots to dry on the side, filled with newspaper, and far enough from any heat source.
                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• BBSCCP
                  • Feb 2010

Saphir renovateur is the first choice to go with!

And I have to agree with Moth. Use it sparingly, no need to apply every month.

Comment

• blowdown
                    • Feb 2011

moth is the product you show there same as the one gavegai's talking about?only difference in the packaging and size? im thinking of purchasing one i guess, ill probably use it once every say 3-4 month on my boots/derbies,

i suppose these are only for full grain leathers right? i'd need to find another type of product for reverse

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                      • Mar 2009

No, the one I show is just a cream which can be used regularly. The one called renovator, and which I actually know with another packaging, is very rich in oil, thus extremely nourishing, and that can mean too much for frail leathers.

And yes, you definitely can't use that on reverse, unless you put the cream inside the shoe, which does not sound as a good idea, really.
                      I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                      I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• blowdown
                        • Feb 2011

ill probably have the renovator then...as im not someone who is used to cleaning my shoes regularly

yea i know it isnt a good idea to apply the cream inside the shoe, sounds stupid to say the least.. i was talking about general maintenance though

Comment

• teeteet
                          • Dec 2009

Anyone use this Saphir Renovateur on CCP cordovan? The instruction strictly says no cream on the boots...

Comment

• eton97
                            • Dec 2008

For what purpose? Ive never used anything on my CCP. They really don't want that shiny polished finish. I just wipe down if they've got a bit dirty and 1 to 2x yr give them a polish with standard black wax.
                            They still structurally and visually look perfect.
                            you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• BBSCCP
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by teeteet View Post
                              Anyone use this Saphir Renovateur on CCP cordovan? The instruction strictly says no cream on the boots...
                              I use it on mine but I don´t polish them after that for a matt effect. Be sure to use only a very small amount and don´t nourish them more than twice a year. Cordovan is an extremely durable thick and fatty leather which actually (almost) needs no care in the first year(s) out of factory.

Comment

• AnImp
                                • Apr 2012

RedDancer- I took my Guidis to Swanson's shoe repair, and they did a great job (Seattle)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎