Clear All
  • crz
    • Apr 2008

stophammertime.gif

ps. that is one of my favourite from you pnod

Comment

• move_ment
      • Feb 2009

not sure what is up when people get confused with a 'look' and seem to forget about construction/cut/fabric. The reason it looks good is because it IS good. not cheap and from a cowboy store.

I am very willing to be proved wrong Galois, please post waywt.

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

Oh I'm sure that people with good genes can "do" an expensive silouhette for cheap, and it will look accurate from a distance or in a picture, because you can't see the details

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

mission accomplished
          streetfighter fail
          kills thread
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Avantster
            ¤¤¤
            • Sep 2006

go straight to HOF
            do not pass waywt
            do not collect $200
            let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

P's posting made me laugh out loud!!

At the same time, I like the honesty of Spence's post too :)
              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                P's posting made me laugh out loud!!

me too. and i need those shorts!
                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• cjbreed
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                  At the same time, I like the honesty of Spence's post too :)
                  wow me too again...

but seriously I'm in pretty much the same boat as Spencer. i've got some nice pieces but they don't get worn much because its just not practical in my daily life.

i've actually been rethinking my buying habits. i enjoy buying clothing. its fun. i like it. i love the search, the hunt, the design, the fabrics, the way it looks, the "deal", everything. but i feel compelled to buy stuff i don't really need or can't use, like another drkshdw/rick tee or more jeans or another boot just like one i already have just because its "cheap(ish)". i'm starting to think similarly to what merz posted. i'm far from baller status (but give it time. i'm workin on a master plan) but i'm actually going to make a real effort to refrain from buying everything i like, and try to just buy grails and wear them more often. this may mean going long periods without making a purchase which will be hard for me to be honest. it is also hard to drop large $$ on a single item. but its probably worth it. because right now i have tons of similar items that get worn maybe twice a season and then their gone. i just don't get the opportunity to wear them, really. i don't know. what do u guys think?

sorry i think i just derailed. wrong thread?
                  Last edited by cjbreed; 08-09-2009, 05:33 PM.
                  dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Galois
                    • Jul 2009

I haven't been able to make it back on until today, but I'll post a photograph soon enough. I'm kind of in this traveling/adventure point right now as I finally have a break away from school and work.

Originally posted by move_ment View Post
                    The reason it looks good is because it IS good. not cheap and from a cowboy store.
                    I understand what you mean - the fabrics, the cuts, the detailing - but for me the silhouette is the most important aspect. The silhouette has always been what captures the essence of a look for me. I have always felt an Ann man has a silhouette, a loose yet sharp look.

This idea is achievable without Ann's clothes. I will admit though, it's hard, but look at the following photos: http://www.nomenusquarterly.com/ Go to the Ann link. I'm sure most all of you have seen this by now. The essence of each outfit is not in the detailing for me - it is the whole outfit. This is of course how I feel, and I'm open to other viewpoints.

Comment

• Sombre
                      • Jan 2009

Galois, to an extent I agree with you. I don't like the idea that an outfit is any less because it doesn't consist of the authentic pieces of the designer whose look is being attempted, because this line of thought discounts anyone who cannot afford the authentic clothing for whatever reason.

Originally posted by move_ment View Post
                      The reason it looks good is because it IS good. not cheap and from a cowboy store.
                      I especially dislike this. How many times has someone posted a pic in WAYWT with a response "Cool. what is that jacket/knit/pant/boot?" only to have the wearer say H&M, Uniqlo, Zara, or even Target? The fabrics don't measure up to Ann Demeulemeester et al, but that doesn't decrease the worth of the outfit.
                      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Galois
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                        The fabrics don't measure up to Ann Demeulemeester et al, but that doesn't decrease the worth of the outfit.

Exactly. This is why the entire outfit and the silhouette is so important to me. If what you are wearing looks great that is what matters. Who made your clothes is ultimately, in the end, of no importance.

What I wear is an expression of who I am. Thus, direly more important than the fabrics from which my garments are made, is how I look. I do not need a label to express myself, I need the right garments.

With that said, I still see the virtues in high end designer clothing. Thus I wear it, too.

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Galois View Post
                          Exactly. This is why the entire outfit and the silhouette is so important to me. If what you are wearing looks great that is what matters. Who made your clothes is ultimately, in the end, of no importance.
                          there are fundamental flaws in your statements, to the point where the statements seem somewhat unlearned, let me make it clear I am not calling you unlearned, but the statements seems so.
                          Designer clothing and cheap knockoff are not the same thing. the importance of clothing (at least for me) extends beyond its visual appeal, your "if it looks good great, that all that matters" statements seems to suggest you are somewhat superficial approach, at least when in comes to what you wear.......

Originally posted by Galois View Post
                          Who made your clothes is ultimately, in the end, of no importance.
                          this is a very irresponsible statement, of course the maker of ones cothing is important, this is the reason why I dont wear Prada anymore, because what Prada represents is not reflective of who I am, nor do I endorse what the company represents, I also want nothing that is made through slave labour or by underpaid persons,
                          I would rather have one pair of shoes that is of good quality and well made, than five cheap pieces of crap just to create a look.
                          Also fabrics are an essential key to any garment, and largely this becomes one of the essential differences between designer clothing and mass market and knockoff stuff, of course there are more cost friendly clothing that are well made and of good quality, i own(ed) lots of them, but to disregard or downplay the superior value of designer clothing ( I am speaking in general terms here) seems unlearned
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Galois
                            • Jul 2009

How is my approach superficial? How clothing looks is not superficial, it is the most important aspect of a garment.

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                            this is a very irresponsible statement, of course the maker of ones cothing is important, this is the reason why I dont wear Prada anymore, because what Prada represents is not reflective of who I am, nor do I endorse what the company represents, I also want nothing that is made through slave labour or by underpaid persons,
                            I would rather have one pair of shoes that is of good quality and well made, than five cheap pieces of crap just to create a look.
                            You are assuming when I say who makes the piece doesn't matter that I am ignoring personal beliefs and values. I did not mean this - sorry if what I said was too non-descript. If the maker of a piece engages in practices which you deem immoral, who makes the piece surely matters in the sense that you will not buy their brand.

Your point on fabrics has been well taken.

Comment

• move_ment
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                              I especially dislike this. How many times has someone posted a pic in WAYWT with a response "Cool. what is that jacket/knit/pant/boot?" only to have the wearer say H&M, Uniqlo, Zara, or even Target?
                              firstly, it's an image on the internet. These images are far removed from actual intention here. With good lighting and some photography skills anyone could make target/h&m/whatever look good... but I'm sure if we saw it down the street under natural light, it would look bulky and lifeless.

Comment

• move_ment
                                • Feb 2009

I prefer honest.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡