X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baby
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I have to disagree with that statement. Sometimes you fall in love with the work of one designer because it simply speaks to you, and then you begin to respect the designer her/himself so much that you naturally gravitate to her/him. I just interviewed a woman who solely buys Ann Demeulemeester, and I completely understand why. She doesn't have to spend time and effort, because she is not that much into fashion, but she found someone whom she absolutely admires and can relate to, and that's good enough.
    who is she? she sounds rad.

born out of laziness is my style philosophy in a nutshell. don't see how that's a terribly bad thing. save your scientific calculator for boolean math not getting dressed.
    Originally posted by pipcleo
    if i see a black man fall on the street i stop and help him up

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
      • Jan 2008

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• YoungM
        • Nov 2008

After spending an inordinate amount of time on this site, and contributing nothing of value, I thought I would post a bit of my perspective.

Personally, I would like to dress, much more than I ever have, with a purpose. Perhaps thats hyperbole, but I would like to have a general aesthetic govern my image, and I want that aesthetic to correspond with my current, and desired lifestyle. Preferably dark, minimalistic, with a touch of knowing irony. I've come, as of late (and due largely to this sites influence) to look at clothing in a different way- as wearable art and expression, rather than a simple mirroring of the surrounding excepted social norm. I'm certainly not about to go claiming that my aesthetic is a great part of who I am, or that people recognize it as such. I would rather it be a private joy.

This video , of one of my favorite bands, carries the mood- a sense of refined swagger with a touch of insanity, that I would like to emulate.

As a 16 year old, in a public high school, the sz aesthetic is far from commonplace (or even existent at all). As such, one of my goals is to, quite simply, pull this clothing off. Not to seem as if I'm wearing something strange for the sake of being strange, but, as many of the fantastic posters on this very site manage, to wear something strange in a manner that leaves it seeming purposeful. I have the requisite confidence, and I'm popular enough that its not such a risk for me, but I hope to pull it off with panache.

After reading that, I sound like an utterly precocious moron. Please forgive me, as my writing is not nearly as refined as I might hope.
        Ahh well.
        I'd also like to manage my clothing finances. Someone sell me ccp side zip boots for a grand in three months

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

welcome YoungM

not precocious at all - at 16 i was even more of a precocious twat, and much less eloquent as you have displayed yourself to be.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

there are so many new posters in the last few days it nuts
            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Pinoy
              • Dec 2006

Just read through this thread again and its absolutely golden!

Forwarded a few selected posts to some friends of mine– we'll see what they think

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Eternal
                I´ve read this before, and know it is really old, but you have mentioned it other places as well. It is really lovely that some people find designers they really feel represent who they are, and I don´t think a head to toe look is about being lazy or lack of personal style.

If you take a runway look and buy it all, and then wear it, then it might be lack of personal style, but if you have collected pieces from season after season, and pieces that you really like, then I don´t see the problem with it if it´s all Rick Owens, Ann or Gucci. Buying different designers doesn´t make you more creative, you still just bought it.
                With modern art moving into collage,"DJ-ing", found objects and conceptual art can we agree you can "buy it" and still be creative. I know dressing up isn't an art but what you're saying is not an argument against creativity.
                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• dndy1840
                  • Sep 2008

I do understand where you're coming from, Eternal. But I don't see anything wrong with buying head-to-toes outfits from a designer only if you are not interested in fashion.
                  Otherwise, I just have the feeling that one is being lazy, and lacks what I might call the "personal touch". It is much more stimulating and rewarding to adapt your vision with a designer's, creating some kind of third way between your intention and the designer's work.

Also, I don't really see how an ensemble of RO can be more creative than a "multi-designers" outfit. Indeed, you expect a designer to have a coherent and consistent vision. Then the pieces are obviously designed to work together.
                  But, that said, I understand what you were saying - I think : RO's silhouettes can be more powerful - hence, creative - than someone mixing SZish labels in a boring outfit. And this is a good point.

Now, I'll dare to add that SZ in general seems to have an exagerated respect for designers. Well, I respect their work and some of them might even be geniuses, but these are clothes. And clothes are meant to be put together and worn. So if you don't consider yourself as being part of the equation, it is just meaningless to me. That is why I really have a problem with "runway outfits" in the real life. Who cares if you wear RO with CCP and H&M as long as it works ?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dndy1840 View Post
                    I do understand where you're coming from, Eternal. But I don't see anything wrong with buying head-to-toes outfits from a designer only if you are not interested in fashion.
                    Otherwise, I just have the feeling that one is being lazy, and lacks what I might call the "personal touch". It is much more stimulating and rewarding to adapt your vision with a designer's, creating some kind of third way between your intention and the designer's work.

Also, I don't really see how an ensemble of RO can be more creative than a "multi-designers" outfit. Indeed, you expect a designer to have a coherent and consistent vision. Then the pieces are obviously designed to work together.
                    But, that said, I understand what you were saying - I think : RO's silhouettes can be more powerful - hence, creative - than someone mixing SZish labels in a boring outfit. And this is a good point.

Now, I'll dare to add that SZ in general seems to have an exagerated respect for designers. Well, I respect their work and some of them might even be geniuses, but these are clothes. And clothes are meant to be put together and worn. So if you don't consider yourself as being part of the equation, it is just meaningless to me. That is why I really have a problem with "runway outfits" in the real life. Who cares if you wear RO with CCP and H&M as long as it works ?
                    Well put. I was going to write something like this, but you saved me some effort.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• beardown
                      rekoner
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Eternal
                      Any thoughts on how to approach pieces when buying, and how to edit the closet? I could see that some more extravagant pieces don´t get much use, although one might love them. My question then is : Should they really be there?
                      I think that's a question everyone has to ask themselves at some point. There are some pieces I don't wear very often but I can't bear to part with.
                      But I try to work in a utilitarian way with most stuff: If it's not being used, it has to go. Not only to pare down the closet and make things more streamlined, but it's a crop rotation in a sense that if I sell something, I can then buy something that I will put to good use.

Sometimes it's tough to be sensible when working with clothes. You do end up with some that are undeniably works of art (and not ironically, a lot of those are expensive) but it's tough to justify them financially if you're on a budget.

I know some people who are very logical about it: 10 t-shirts, 5 pairs of pants, 1 pair of boots, 1 pair of dress shoes, 1 pair of casual shoes, a winter coat, a fall coat, hoodie, and some longsleeves.
                      It makes getting dressed efficient and it can still be creative as long as the colors work together.

The one true rule I adopted a few years back is this: If it doesn't get worn enough in a calendar year to justify it, it has to go. Even the less practical pieces.
                      But another rule I stick to is that I keep a budget in Paypal (or at least did until recently) where my clothing money comes from. I sell items I don't need, and then whatever I buy comes from that budget. So it ends up being as much like a trade as a purchase. And I try to keep an accurate mental stock of what I don't need. It's easy to get worked up and end up with 10 pairs of pants when you realistically probably only wear 4-5 pairs a month like I do.

I would say just try to separate yourself from the urges and the instinct to purchase new things without stepping back to rationally justify it. Otherwise, it's easy to go over the top really quickly.
                      I've had an issue with overbuying jackets and boots but it was easy to get under control after I arranged my closet and could physically see what I have. Kind of like a mental reminder that I'm set unless I want to sell one item to pick up another item.

I think it's awesome that people get so passionate about clothing that they get worked up over it but the impulsive buy can lead to lots of problems and a way too full wardrobe.
                      Sell what you don't wear. Don't buy something unless there's a hole to fill in what you wear regularly and try to keep that balance of things sold vs. things purchased.
                      One item in vs. one item out is another good approach to take to keep things within reason.
                      Originally posted by mizzar
                      Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• I kept whining about how expensive beautiful clothes are. Finally I thought; ok, keep complaining or give into it. I gave in. And now I'm really happy with my wardrobe. I have a few pieces I rarely wear, like my long doma cream silk gillet. But it's a piece of art. an essential of that collection. A part of my universe.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Eternal, there is no formula here, except the one you make, really. I think you are giving it way too much attention. :-) Make sure your bills are paid, you have no debt, save, if that's your goal, and the rest of the money is for you to do whatever you want with it. Just figure out carefully what it is you want.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• scott.m
                            • Mar 2009

this thread was a great idea, and i like it alot. lately my style has been focused more on my inspirations such as hardcore/punk music and the "scene" that i grew up on and used to mold my personality from day one of puberty. alot of people have different things that influence their philosophy but for me it's very simple, it's what i'm listening to that day. if i'm listening to something on the softer side it will reflect in the clothing, if my music taste is fast paced and aggressive it shows in my outfits, if my taste that day is fuck what any one thinks and filled with arrogance i dress it. so i guess my philosophy is that what i feel that day shapes how i dress that day? though most frequently it's influenced by music.

Comment

• coccodrillo
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Eternal, there is no formula here, except the one you make, really. I think you are giving it way too much attention. :-) Make sure your bills are paid, you have no debt, save, if that's your goal, and the rest of the money is for you to do whatever you want with it. Just figure out carefully what it is you want.
                              I agree with Faust, being debt free is most important. That said - dividing your wardrobe in 2 sections may be the way to go.

You will have the everyday life essentials and your personal "collectors pieces" - this is what I have done. I looked at all the things I actually wear, especially the pieces that make the daily journey through life - more comfortable. These are the things that most likely need replacement/replenishing as they get worn out.

Your collectors pieces are the items that you feel are iconical and important to your own individual sense of style. These are the pieces that you know you will love and use less frequently than the everyday pieces - but are quintessentially you. Each of the sections will change and evolve - as you do so.

Don't be afraid to edit with objectivity- sell or give away pieces that you feel no longer fit in either of these categories. This process isn't about being fashionable but more about who you feel you are at the time and how well your clothes help you feel good about yourself as well as their ability to reflect this feeling.

Sorry for the long post - I have just gone through this editing process

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

It's interesting how I go through acquisitions phases in the following categories:

A-Rock/grunge/trashy stuff: RO, Ann D, Dior. Leathers, tight jeans, flannels, etc.

B-Quirky dressy: Helmut Lang, MMM, Stephan Schneider, Thom Browne, CdG. so dress pants, sweaters, weirdly cut suits and blazers, etc

C-Black/white formal and french luxe: Balenciaga, Lanvin, Corthay. Tuxedos, silk fabric, dress shoes.

2 months ago I was at A, now I'm at B. I switch every couple of weeks/months. There is a certain coherence since I usually keep to these three categories. I guess this is what keeps me buying stuff because If I only liked one category I'd have too much of the exact same thing by now.

When I look at it I also have a mainly white/grey/white wardrobe, I wear a lot more white than most people, I guess black is normal for some designers but I do own a shitload of grey.
                                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎