X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stack
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
    It's interesting how I go through acquisitions phases in the following categories:

A-Rock/grunge/trashy stuff: RO, Ann D, Dior. Leathers, tight jeans, flannels, etc.

B-Quirky dressy: Helmut Lang, MMM, Stephan Schneider, Thom Browne, CdG. so dress pants, sweaters, weirdly cut suits and blazers, etc

C-Black/white formal and french luxe: Balenciaga, Lanvin, Corthay. Tuxedos, silk fabric, dress shoes.

2 months ago I was at A, now I'm at B. I switch every couple of weeks/months. There is a certain coherence since I usually keep to these three categories. I guess this is what keeps me buying stuff because If I only liked one category I'd have too much of the exact same thing by now.

When I look at it I also have a mainly white/grey/white wardrobe, I wear a lot more white than most people, I guess black is normal for some designers but I do own a shitload of grey.
    i can testify to this. though i'd say my code changes day-to-day. yesterday i was in CdG blazer, CdG knit, CdG pants and some boots. today i'm in a beanie, vans flannel, some ripped-up levis and chucks, and i wore both to the same place of work. sometimes they think i have a rebellious twin.
    once you get off the drugs and the alcohol, that's when you realise how dark you really are

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Bump! We have plenty of new members...
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• whitney
        • Dec 2009

i like pieces that can be played around with. skirts that can double as tops and vice versa. doesn't have to be made with the intent but if its designed in a way that is flexible thats one of the ways (i guess) i like to show my creativity. that also allows me to have the same piece as someone else but not look similar.

i'm a sucker for things that are sheer, i prefer shades of white but i like black and colors as well.

and this

Originally posted by sbw4224 View Post
        I am becoming very picky with what pieces I want.

... but I'm still learning.

Originally posted by mass View Post
        as a consumer, i guess (and this goes along with being lazy) that i would like all my pieces to be interchangable. unfortunately that isn't the case with a lot of things i own but i'd prefer if i could match any pair of shoes with any pair of pants with any shirt and any jacket.
        except i'd substitute pants for skirts and shirts for cami/sleeveless tops.
        you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I also agree with mass. Many a time for me dressing means "oh, shit, i have ten minutes before i have to run out of the house."
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
            • Apr 2008

well said, Eternal. :)

My clothing purchases are my research so my daily choices can be whimsical.
            every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

i don't believe in hard-and-fast rules, but if there is one that deserves a higher spot it's the word whimsical. It's fine to have an appreciation for the clothing, the design philosophies behind them but still maintain a carefree attitude towards the process when applied to yourself...

my rule is, buy whatever you want, and if it's you it'll click with everything else ya got.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Sombre
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                my rule is, buy whatever you want, and if it's you it'll click with everything else ya got.
                I couldn't agree with this more. If all your purchases reflect who you are (provided you have your own identity), then everything you own, regardless of how you combine specific pieces, will represent you in some way, and therefore will work (of course you've sad much more succinctly and much better than I have).
                An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• mortalveneer
                  • Jan 2008

yeah this is a much better match for this than the small questions thread...I looked through the first page and couldn't find anywhere else to fit it and didn't think it warranted its own thread...

anyhow, take 2 in the right thread...
                  ------

How does owning a good number of pieces from a given designer better help you appreciate/interpret/judge subsequent seasons from said designer?

I guess this came to mind when I was looking at the KK Attachment S/S10 thread and I said that I didn't see a whole lot of progression in the current season, but then realized afterwards I was making this statement without owning a single piece from KK; granted, I've handled a fair amount in stores, and tried a few pieces on, but I feel this falls far short of those designers from whom I own a range of pieces.

In particular, I have a good amount of items from the "Continues" umbrella...some original sartoria/CDiem articles, an old-school beat up pair of CDiem boots I got off JohnnyHerb/ebay, newer reverse leather CDiems courtesy of sartorialoft, a few items from M.A+, a pair of pants from Avantindietro, four LUC knits, two LUC pants, two pair of Augusta boots for my lady, a pair of reverse camel leather M.A+ boots coming in the mail (can't wait), etc...essentially, I feel much more connection/understanding/insight when looking at new seasons from these designers than I do when looking at new seasons from CCP or Ann D, simply because I've never owned any CCP (retail is completely outside affordability for me) or Ann D. The progression is much more evident to me, from more salient concerns such as fabric type and silhouette, to subtler aspects such as slight innovation in boot stitching/construction.

Given the much greater depths of most forum members' wardrobes than mine, I wanted to put this out there to get your opinions.

So, to repeat, how does owning a significant number of a given designer's pieces affect your appreciation of their subsequent works?

Also, as a corollary, do you feel any degree of path dependence in designer selection? I'm almost more prone now to continue buying M.A+, LUC, Avantindietro, Augusta, simply because I'm so much more familiar/comfortable with sizing and cuts...
                  I am not who you think I am

Comment

• mensmetals09
                    • Dec 2009

I usually prefer, Tuxedos on most of occasions, let it be a wedding ceremony or anyone's birthday.. However, with tuxedo i use selected cufflinks, i never use that come along... usually i wear casual jeans and t-shirt.

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

yay he's back
                      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Johnny
                        • Sep 2006

who is he? it is a brilliant post

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

First name Z last name Boss

btw, i've always found it very curious that it seems to be perceived by many that rocking jeans and t-shirt on SZ is "subversive."
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

^it's zboss, non? yes, brilliant, i needed the laugh
                            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

yes, i genuinely laughed when i saw this this morning.

right, sorry, but i never understood the whole zboss thing....is there a very brief explanation?

Comment

• mortalveneer
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                                right, sorry, but i never understood the whole zboss thing....is there a very brief explanation?
                                yes, seconded...I think I fell off SZ at just the right time to completely miss this...
                                I am not who you think I am

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎