Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• pbt
      • Jan 2007

Re: dilemna

[quote user="Uncontrol"]

Somewhere between the wall of text and the commas, I lost track of what you were trying to say.

[/quote]

Enjoyed the post,Johnny. Ever articulate --even when you'reelaborately pissed off.

Comment

• deleuze
        • Jul 2007

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"][quote user="deleuze"]

Style Inc.

[/quote]

Becoming Style Inc.

[/quote]

I figured the reference was a little too obscure but that's the way Johnny likes it! Anyway, (John) Sarl (or as he likes to be called John Searle)is an uptight whinyacademic and also so typically British in his thought. He would bitch to Foucault - knowing Foucault wasn't too fond of Derrida -about Derrida claiminghe was impossible to understand, his writing being littered with obscurities. Derrida claimed Sarl not only misunderstood but also purposely misrepresented his work. Anyway the moral of the story is Derrida tore Sarl a new asshole in Limited Inc. and well, he also dressed better.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
          • Jan 2008

[quote user="deleuze"][quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"][quote user="deleuze"]

Style Inc.

[/quote]

Becoming Style Inc.

[/quote]

I figured the reference was a little too obscure but that's the way Johnny likes it! Anyway, (John) Sarl (or as he likes to be called John Searle)is an uptight whinyacademic and also so typically British in his thought. He would bitch to Foucault - knowing Foucault wasn't too fond of Derrida -about Derrida claiminghe was impossible to understand, his writing being littered with obscurities. Derrida claimed Sarl not only misunderstood but also purposely misrepresented his work. Anyway the moral of the story is Derrida tore Sarl a new asshole in Limited Inc. and well, he also dressed better.

[/quote]

I enjoyed that anecdote ... And a fantastic moral! [86]

Not only a better dresser, but the nonchalant and
          at times uncontrollable hair of Derrida ...

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

hey hey, now now, let's keep it civil...it's getting mega-turbo tense in here. [72]

I'm
            afraid I'm partially responsible for this disquiet, whiny ***** that I
            am. I just wanna say that the way we talk/write is bound up very
            intimately--sometimes inextricably-- with our "style philosophy," and
            is also every bit as individualistic. There's obviously a plurality of
            languages and styles here, and the unfamiliar ones can be pretty
            alienating. So I think we all have to go a bit easy on each other, and
            give one another the benefit of a doubt. Assumptions and judgements
            shouldn't have a place here and neither should crude characterizations
            and personal attacks. I mean, they shouldn't have a place anywhere on SZ, but especially not in this thread, which is supposed to be about personal style philosophies.

I wish you had left Sarl or whatever his name is to languish in
            obscurity, because the ugliness of that comparison really does mess up
            the beauty of this thread... and more importantly, as an intentional slur about Johnny,
            it's completely unfair and unfounded.[:(]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

hey hey, now now, let's keep it civil...it's getting mega-turbo tense in here. [72]

I'm
                  afraid I'm partially responsible for this disquiet, whiny ***** that I
                  am. I just wanna say that the way we talk/write is bound up very
                  intimately--sometimes inextricably-- with our "style philosophy," and
                  is also every bit as individualistic. There's obviously a plurality of
                  languages and styles here, and the unfamiliar ones can be pretty
                  alienating.
                  So I think we all have to go a bit easy on each other, and
                  give one another the benefit of a doubt. Assumptions and judgements
                  shouldn't have a place here and neither should crude characterizations
                  and personal attacks. I mean, they shouldn't have a place anywhere on SZ, but especially not in this thread, which is supposed to be about personal style philosophies.

I wish you had left Sarl or whatever his name is to languish in
                  obscurity, because the ugliness of that comparison really does mess up
                  the beauty of this thread... and more importantly, as an intentional slur about Johnny,
                  it's completely unfair and unfounded.[:(]

[/quote]

And we are back to square one [86]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                    • Jan 2008

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Well, hopefully, the rest of what I wrote there negates that rather discouraging and exhausting possibility! [86]

anyway, thanks for putting out the flames, boys...that was an awfully clever one, Faust. [B]

edit: [74] at Martin Sheen [74]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Well, hopefully, the rest of what I wrote there negates that rather discouraging and exhausting possibility! [86]

anyway, thanks for putting out the flames, boys...that was an awfully clever one, Faust. [B]

edit: [74] at Martin Sheen [74]

[/quote]

glad you like it - i thought it'd be a nice change from all the basket balls. Ballar, laika!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

[74][74][74]

my gods...everyone is just on fire this week....my belly hurts from laughing so much....and from trying too hard to make myself understood...we all need to chill... it's just clothes and critical thought anyway.

I dunno about you, but I like to relax by sending random and under-the-influence pms to the always kind and very tolerant-of-my-nonsense Casius. Sorry Cas! [:$][74]

Comment

• deleuze
                            • Jul 2007

[quote user="laika"]

I wish you had left Sarl or whatever his name is to languish in obscurity, because the ugliness of that comparison really does mess up the beauty of this thread... and more importantly, as an intentional slur about Johnny, it's completely unfair and unfounded.[:(]

[/quote]

True but at the same time it is relevant. Intentionality or "saying what one means" is a fantasy that inevitably leads to contradiction (re: Derrida's deconstuctive analysis of Searle). In the same way clothing can never be understood as entirely separate from the body/consciousness whether it be as representation or a utilitarian cloaking. One's style philosophy can never be a true reflection as it is always interpreted the "wrong" way by the other no matter how simple it may appear to be. I look at style as a game, not something that represents "who I am" but something that acts as a medium between me and the world. The same way language, emotions, gestures, are employed. In this sense clothing is the body just as much as gestures and language are. There is no point at which one can say clothing ends and the body begins. I might want to make a statement: "look at my clothes" and all that can be heard is my voice. Body/language has become my clothing.

Comment

• kira
                              • Mar 2008

[quote user="deleuze"][quote user="laika"]

I wish you had left Sarl or whatever his name is to languish in obscurity, because the ugliness of that comparison really does mess up the beauty of this thread... and more importantly, as an intentional slur about Johnny, it's completely unfair and unfounded.[:(]

[/quote]

True but at the same time it is relevant. Intentionality or "saying what one means" is a fantasy that inevitably leads to contradiction (re: Derrida's deconstuctive analysis of Searle). In the same way clothing can never be understood as entirely separate from the body/consciousness whether it be as representation or a utilitarian cloaking. One's style philosophy can never be a true reflection as it is always interpreted the "wrong" way by the other no matter how simple it may appear to be. I look at style as a game, not something that represents "who I am" but something that acts as a medium between me and the world. The same way language, emotions, gestures, are employed. In this sense clothing is the body just as much as gestures and language are. There is no point at which one can say clothing ends and the body begins. I might want to make a statement: "look at my clothes" and all that can be heard is my voice. Body/language has become my clothing.

[/quote]

I can identify with this very much.

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• pbt
                                • Jan 2007

I have extra! PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎