X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RADO
    • Nov 2007

To Sale or Not to Sale

I think this subject has never been discussed before. Anyway, my dilemma would be whether you guys consider the possibility of marking the garments less and do not do sales for the whole collection. Most of the designers cared here as CCP, MA+, Julius, DD, BBS and so on sell the same items all over and their collections do not change mainly. Few of them as CCP goes hardly on sale but all the rest go up to 50% off or even lower.
    Classic white shirt from Jill Sander or any other well established brands are found on great discounts which do not make sense to pay full price but wait a while to get it cheaper.
    I would encourage designers to reduce their seasonal prices and avoid sales, at least you feel reassured when paying full price instead of a fool when you see the same item half price just some days after you spent that fortune…
    Hope someone here gets my point.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

This doesn't work, fundamentally. The industry relies on the ballers to make the bulk of the money. That's the whole point. It also relies on brand loyalty - especially with guys like Sissy P - where his hardcore fans are willing to buy variations on the theme on day 1, no matter what the prices are. This is how exclusivity is kept. Also, it would be impossible to keep small runs production with your scenario, and that's what artisans rely on. You simply cannot mass produce what they do.

The worst thing that can happen to a designer is overexpansion. You are hot today, so stores start banging on your doors, so you scale up your production to accommodate increased demand - then the stores drop you and you are stuck with the large overhead bills.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

I get your point, but I think it's impossible. The idea of seasonal sales is pretty ingrained, and if designers cut their prices, shoppers would wait for the lower prices regardless.

Besides, the high prices allow for quite a bit more profitability off desirable items. You know the ones that never make it to sale. I mean, maybe designers should have a "perennial" collection with static lower prices, but I can't see it happening.

And, please, the title doesn't need to be all caps, it's just an eyesore.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• RADO
        • Nov 2007

Sorry for the eyesore.
        I agree to Faust on the worst thing that can happen to a designer is overexpansion but disagree on how exclusivity is kept. I believe exclusivity is kept when your stuff is never found on OUTLETS or 70% off.
        Still think there is a way to work out the whole issue. One thing I love more about CCP besides his unique collections, it would be the fact that he does not like his products to be on sales. Moreover, one collection a year makes sense since half of the world would be on fall-winter season when the other half enjoys the sun and the beaches. You reduce your expenses therefore your prices. I believe he is setting-up same bases for the others as per commercial policies are concerned.

Comment

• coccodrillo
          • Nov 2009

I agree. Over the last 2-3 years or so I noticed that prices have risen more than 30% from one season to the next - i.e. Lanvin + Yohji!

I look at this and wonder if I'm getting value for my money when I pay full price. Ironically - I just received an email notice giving 20% on something I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Given that I do most of my buying online as I can't find the items I find most interesting in local boutiques makes it even more difficult. I have only photos to go by - and have been disappointed by quality irl when I receive some things.

That said - someone like me who is new to the allure of Guidi, M.A+, LUC etc - I debate whether to pay full price or wait and see if the items I desire go on sale so that I can ascertain with less money at risk whether or not the items live up to my standards.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Coccodrillo, you should definitely take a trip once to see all this labels in person. I cannot fathom how one could buy a product from an unfamiliar line on the Internet. The tactile experience and the fit experience are the prime aspect of engaging with fashion.

Anyway, the whole point of pricing is moot - we've complained enough about them already (not that I am stopping you from complaining further - by any means!). No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. The designers and stores will charge what the market will tolerate. I haven't bought anything full price in ages (the Schneider scarf being an exception), nor do I intend to in any foreseeable future. But if I was rich, I probably would.

Speaking of Schneider - I really respect him for keeping his prices honest. Talk about best bang for your buck - look no further.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Venus in Furs
              Banned
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Coccodrillo, you should definitely take a trip once to see all this labels in person. I cannot fathom how one could buy a product from an unfamiliar line on the Internet. The tactile experience and the fit experience are the prime aspect of engaging with fashion.

Anyway, the whole point of pricing is moot - we've complained enough about them already (not that I am stopping you from complaining further - by any means!). No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. The designers and stores will charge what the market will tolerate. I haven't bought anything full price in ages (the Schneider scarf being an exception), nor do I intend to in any foreseeable future. But if I was rich, I probably would.

Speaking of Schneider - I really respect him for keeping his prices honest. Talk about best bang for your buck - look no further.
              Some of us have little choice. I live in Adelaide which is in South Australia. I'll be visiting Paris and NY in January but hitherto I've never been able to experience brands like Rick, Carol or M.A+ before purchase; or the few times I have, they've never had my size to try anyway.

Comment

• beardown
                rekoner
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by coccodrillo View Post
                I look at this and wonder if I'm getting value for my money when I pay full price. Ironically - I just received an email notice giving 20% on something I bought a couple of weeks ago.
                LOL at Yoox.

Just kidding. I realize they may not have been the guilty party but it does happen quite a bit.
                Valid question but I think Faust summed it up succinctly. The process of production and supply/demand, material costs, overhead...these are all very precarious variables to balance in the big scheme of keeping a business running. And 'high fashion' presents it's own difficult hurdles that you don't encounter in normal retail or regular businesses.
                Originally posted by mizzar
                Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• the breaks
                  • Sep 2007

The Rick Owens tank top example was a good one. On any given day with a bit of searching you can find them in a relatively huge range of prices with the current season ones costing up to twice as much as older iterations, even though the product is pretty much the same.

Then you have people who wouldn't even consider getting the more expensive one just because it's current season, and people who wouldn't even consider getting the older season one just because it's cheaper. (And of course you have the people who will just buy the Nicolas&Mark rip-off on eBay for 70 bucks )

It's supply and demand, and it looks like the demand just won't go away no matter how high the prices get.
                  Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• RADO
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Venus in Furs View Post
                    Some of us have little choice. I live in Adelaide which is in South Australia. I'll be visiting Paris and NY in January but hitherto I've never been able to experience brands like Rick, Carol or M.A+ before purchase; or the few times I have, they've never had my size to try anyway.
                    One of my best girlfriends is from Adelaide. She lives in Madrid now.
                    January is a tricky time for fashion. Most of the stores mix sales with items from the new season collections.
                    As Faust, I have not paid full price for years and think that a good bunch of people here have not either.
                    If I were rich I would but feel stupid whenever finding the same item 50% off a couple of days after. I do not think wealthy people are silly, most of them probably the contrary and that the reason they are rich…that is not my case and neither the case of plenty of SZ members who love fashion but cannot afford some price range.
                    The fact that only few buyers pay full price, a big percentage buy on sales and outlet stores are full of luxury stuff makes me wonder if the fashion industry needs a change.

Comment

• galia
                      • Jun 2009

luxury is not supposed to be for everyone. the problem is when luxury relies only in the name brand and pricetag and not in the product itself

overpricing is another problem, but the idea that luxury should be widely available makes little sense to me

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by RADO View Post
                        One of my best girlfriends is from Adelaide. She lives in Madrid now.
                        Yeh I don't think it'll be long before I leave, not much happening here

Comment

• RADO
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by galia View Post
                          luxury is not supposed to be for everyone. the problem is when luxury relies only in the name brand and pricetag and not in the product itself

overpricing is another problem, but the idea that luxury should be widely available makes little sense to me
                          That's the point luxury is not anymore luxury because most of the cases relies in the name brand and pricetag. Otherwise why you find something that cost xxxx for x? Because all the add-value is just gone and remains the product itself which cost X.

Comment

• RADO
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Venus in Furs View Post
                            Yeh I don't think it'll be long before I leave, not much happening here
                            Do it. You're welcome here

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post

if you are talking about a dictionary definition of luxury, yeah. but as an entity - I don't know. You'd definitely get killed in America for saying something like that. The idea of purposeful limitation is something that is absolutely unacceptable here.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎