X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lane
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Skye X View Post
    Interesting, because I assumed you were referring to actual governments, as opposed to self-governance, which I think is a vastly superior solution.
    nah, definitely not arguing for government. I'm just skeptical about being able to reach that end result, which strikes me as quite utopian. I guess I don't have as much faith in the human race.

Comment

• kagitsune
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by syed View Post
      I also have something to contribute of my own, a little wardrobe building project I have undertaken. Basically, towards the end of last year and beginning of this year I sold and gave away almost all of my wardrobe - anything that did not fit quite right or that I was not 100% happy with had to go. In one way I wanted to experience a minimalism (and indeed reduced to bare functionality the catharsis and lack of anxiety in what to wear was interesting), but mainly I wanted to start afresh and build the wardrobe that I really want....

...Before I get dressed each morning, I write down the outfit I would like to be wearing. Money is not an issue, however appropriateness is - the outfit has to be practical. I am currently in week two of the process, however I plan to go for at least a month. After that time I will assess my outfit list, and that should hopefully give me a better understanding of where to start and where to go.

I am thinking that doing this once every six months or once a year will give me a better understanding of where my tastes are heading, but also give me a more concise idea of where to place my money in terms of buying clothing. I think this way I will cut out more of those impulse/ill-advised purchases, and give way to a better wardrobe.

I may actually post the list after a month is up if anybody is interested (...or not). But I would be interested if anyone else decided to take part and write out their month of what they would like to wear day-by-day.
      Replying to an old post... don't let me derail this sociological/philosophical discussion... ^^;

I've also felt a strong need to get rid of all my clothes that fit my body or my style. I've seen what clothes can be and now I'm picky. Unfortunately, this reduces me down to about 10 pieces of wearable clothing (and even some of these I want to replace), so I started this "what I'd like to complete this outfit" journal too, plus little doodles of what I'd like to wear vs. what I'll have to be satisfied with today. Syed, I'd be very interested in your experiments and results!!

Even after doing this little exercise once, I've made one conclusion... I'll need separate warm-black and cool-black wardrobes... xD
      Originally posted by Yohji Yamamoto, on his second Paris show
      From the next collection it became a war. I didn't want a war but too much attack made me fight.' And you are a good fighter, I say, referring to his black belt in karate. 'I am,' he nods.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

bump.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
          Many animals have societies, hell crows have societies.
          I wish we were more like crows.
          THE HOUSE OF DIS
          embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• eleven crows
            • Mar 2011

it's easy if you try.

Comment

• several_girls
              • Nov 2010

I'll have to take more time to read the thread thoroughly and give everyone's post some justice, but I find it funny the "self vs society" debate is thematic. I guess I am coming from a rural and/or ethnic background where family and extended family loyalties and identities persist. I feel far more normative pressure from these communities than from a "society at large." Hell, it is in the cities I feel the most freedom to wear what I like. I can only imagine living in a place like Paris or Tokyo.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ This is true. But family/extended family is one type of societal pressure, a much bigger one than strangers on a street. I definitely appreciate living in NYC.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• liberty_of_style
                  • Aug 2011

Need Help To Build Wardrobe

Hi Friends! How are you?
                  I want to ask you as knowledgeable people - i try to build the basic wardrobe for cold days based on well fitted and comfortable clothing. Not extremely avant garde. I like the quality of Zam Barret"s items especially.

I have already the collarless coat by Zam:

and also just bought(here on zeitgeist, not received yet) The inner blazer in black color.

my shoes is Guidi Horse Leather 988 backzips

I would like to buy matching pants,sweater etc. Accessories are welcome. What would you recommend for me?
                  I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things...

Comment

• Johngd
                    • Feb 2009

You got the best parts already and the most important ones if you ask me (shoes,jacket). Just get some nice basic tees, longsleeves from DD, RO or whatever u like. if possible try to find basic pieces on sale, thats the way I do it . And dont forget the Sarti scarf haha

EDIT: it all comes down to what u like and feel comfortable in

Comment

• liberty_of_style
                      • Aug 2011

Didn't know about Sarti scafs. It is an important binding element.
                      Will take a look.

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                        • Oct 2011

Reading this entire thread from start to finish.

Comment

• liberty_of_style
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Urthwhyte View Post
                          Reading this entire thread from start to finish.
                          Thanks a lot. Great post!
                          But, you see, i guess i have found myself already. For this moment of my life. I started interesting in this avant garde fashion since last year. You can see the date of my registration at SZ. It started simple, i got the washed leather jacket by german brand Mazze. And then i realized- i like its style!!! I started searching about this direction and had found a whole new world. I was very exiting! And since that time I'm looking for new ideas, new names in this industry etc. But i must say that i do not want it swallowed me. People should have the barrier that does not need to cross through. This applies to everything in life. I'm just a curious man who need food for brain every time
                          Who knows, may be i will loose interest in this?
                          And what about this clothing, i used to wear more classical things in my daily life. Such as Hugo Boss suits, i love cashmere sweaters, sport blazers and good quality shoes. But sometimes, my soul need more!
                          More "liberty", more unusual, interesting. Its just my first steps in this avant garde world. And as i can see here on SZ, here are a lot of interesting people. Nonconformists i would say. I like it! But we all have to look forward and don't stop, does not rest on our laurels.
                          Go ahead guys!

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

bump for members new and old

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2011

I think its best to buy pieces you love and can picture yourself wearing rather than going at it in a grocery-list kind of way ("You MUST have atleast X shirts, X pants, X shoes, X jackets"). Every time I add to my wardrobe for the sole purpose of variety it doesn't turn out well.

Also I think its important to keep yourself in mind when buying clothes. Consider how your face/body looks like, your personality, what you're most comfortable in, what fits your body type etc.

Comment

• juansolorzano
                                • Oct 2012

Where to start.... I think it all begins in what kind of culture you been raised in. I have to say i lived in North America, South and Central America and i experimented different types of fashions and also i have been able to redefined my personal taste with time. I love to savour every moment when i find a piece that just suits who i am, its not about trends, its not about longevity, or the price, clothes can always be replaced. I think its about who you are and what you truly love. Clothes are like your second skin, only difference is its just material things that can be easily replaced, but i find once you find the right fit for you and the right tone for yourself you can always find a piece that will define who you are. My father has always said to me, "its not where you shop, its what you buy" (old italian sayings) so what i mean is you can define your personal style with according to the music you listen to, life experiences, traveling experiences, art and of course your family can be a cause of your personal style.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎