Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gavagai
    • May 2010

Funny that people are calling out M.A+ These pieces have been overpriced for years. I honestly still think this goes back to peoples accusations regarding his association with Carpe Diem.

Surely you cant say a pair of jersey pants aren't worth $2200 and then spend $800+ on a LUC t-shirt. Or can you?

I thought the reason for this thread was to debate what gives a garment a value or WHY we think it is overpriced.

I really don't think reasoning such as "it was 20% less last season" really answers this question (though it is certainly accurate).

I'm also not 100% sure this is the exact same cut. Are we sure about that? Nearly every other designer does at least slight alterations when different materials are involved.

I don't buy because given my limited funds for clothing I'd prefer to have something else. Given a large increase in salary and i'd purchase a few of his items as I still think they are incredible.

Comment

• crouka
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
      haiti, u.s., u.k., japan
      sorry for off topic but
      you think japanese should have looted the store in that situation and that the fact that they didn't is funny as a joke ?
      or does it appear to you as if they had been standing in line all the way in the cold for the loot ?
      what do you mean by posting that image ?

Comment

• cjbreed
        • Feb 2009

i may be overreacting to ma+ because i'm just disappointed. won't be able to buy as much, if any, although i still want that aviator. but i think u misread or didn't understand my argument. i explained the reasons i think it is overpriced. i also then argued that with respect to the aviator the price has gone up out of proportion with related material and manufacturing costs. it is ma+ right to price it however he wants though. and my right to whine over my peasant status

let me use another industry as a metaphor. lets say that in 2007 Audi introduced a new car and priced it at 35000. (curiously this car is very similar to a maserati that is no longer in production but whatevs.) people love the car. then in 08 they release the same car. same car. no changes at all in engine, transmission, suspension, body style, nothing. but now it is 40,000. then in 09 it is done again. same exact car but it is 45000 now. then again in 2010 and then again in 2011. but now it is 52,000. do u not think that people would say "hey man they are charging 52000 for basically an 07 audi that i bought for 35000 4 f*ckin years ago? what the f*ck?" meanwhile the bmw 335 and the MB C55 have been completely reinvented? dude.
        Last edited by cjbreed; 08-16-2011, 01:48 PM.
        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

crouka, good grief you completely misunderstood. no one should loot any store ever. it was sarcasm.

japanese = good
          everyone else = bad

the japanese showed restraint and respect in the face of immense tragedy while other cultures result to barbarism and theft in far less severe circumstances. this is a topic for exploration and i believe there are cultural anthropologists and others doing just that
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• crouka
            • Jul 2007

I see thanks

just to clarify, I didn't misunderstand at all.
            just didn't get what you mean by the image.
            that's why I asked.
            and also for random people on the internet who may think they were standing in line for loot.

Comment

• Pumpfish
              • Sep 2010

Printing dollars and the tactical devaluation of the currency won't have helped the wholesale cost in dollar terms.

Nor will stores insistance on building the retail price on a similar multiple to what worked before the devaluation.
              spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• the breaks
                • Sep 2007

"standing in line to loot"

*knocks on window* excuse me ma'm what time do you open? i was planning to do some looting
                Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• nadir
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by merz
                  target demographic for much of this does not look at price tags.
                  True, however when the credit card bill starts to sting even those who don't look at the price tags are going to stop buying - I'm certain that the m.a+ pieces in my local are not going to sell in the next 3 months, and that I'll be able to come along and snap them up for 50% off soon enough.

Comment

• franz
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by nadir View Post
                    I'm certain that the m.a+ pieces in my local are not going to sell in the next 3 months, and that I'll be able to come along and snap them up for 50% off soon enough.
                    Let's all join hands and pray! Amen!
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

Comment

• curiouscharles
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by nadir View Post
                      True, however when the credit card bill starts to sting even those who don't look at the price tags are going to stop buying - I'm certain that the m.a+ pieces in my local are not going to sell in the next 3 months, and that I'll be able to come along and snap them up for 50% off soon enough.
                      [depending on your area] you're wrong. [although i hope this coming season you're right]

from what i've seen in london, maurizio gets away with this - i can't even make it into hostem before all the ma+ has sold out.

-

Comment

• kunk75
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

i've heard a lot of ma+ quality complaints lately

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                        i may be overreacting to ma+ because i'm just disappointed. won't be able to buy as much, if any, although i still want that aviator. but i think u misread or didn't understand my argument. i explained the reasons i think it is overpriced. i also then argued that with respect to the aviator the price has gone up out of proportion with related material and manufacturing costs. it is ma+ right to price it however he wants though. and my right to whine over my peasant status

let me use another industry as a metaphor. lets say that in 2007 Audi introduced a new car and priced it at 35000. (curiously this car is very similar to a maserati that is no longer in production but whatevs.) people love the car. then in 08 they release the same car. same car. no changes at all in engine, transmission, suspension, body style, nothing. but now it is 40,000. then in 09 it is done again. same exact car but it is 45000 now. then again in 2010 and then again in 2011. but now it is 52,000. do u not think that people would say "hey man they are charging 52000 for basically an 07 audi that i bought for 35000 4 f*ckin years ago? what the f*ck?" meanwhile the bmw 335 and the MB C55 have been completely reinvented? dude.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

A good article on pricing from B of F. Some math that puts things into perspective.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tenorish
                            • Oct 2011

^was just about to post it.

Originally posted by BoF View Post
                            Yes, the rich are getting richer. But is there a limit to what a sane person — billionaire or not — is willing to pay for a pair of shoes? “The question is, how high is high?” Burke asks. “These are people who have their jets outfitted in Hermès leather and Loro Piana vicuna. If demand is there, brands will continue to move up.”
                            The question "how high is high?" still isn't really answered for me.

On the basis of the last paragraph of the article (above) is one supposed to infer that it could be sustainable for luxury brands to increasingly cater solely to a clientele that comprises billionaires? I'm not entirely convinced.

The price gap between fast fashion and luxury seems to be getting wider and there doesn't seem to be much, in my opinion, that's adequately filling up that gap.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I keep harping on how young designers can take advantage of this but I don't know if anyone is listening. If we can sum up the factors of pricing

Cost of producing a collection (material + labor)
                              Cost of producing production (material + labor)
                              Overhead
                              Marketing
                              Press Relations
                              Status/Desire/Greed/Other Intangibles

I'd say the bolded parts make up a pretty decent proportion of pricing. A young designer can take advantage of that and make a kickass product that's probably 30% cheaper.

Lauren makes several good points - a) the rich are getting richer b) the rich are getting more numerous - this means the market can probably bear the eye-popping prices. Also, increased consumer anticipation of sales and bargain hunting is absolutely and definitely factored in at retail level. It's akin to the airline business where 10% of the first/business class passengers make up half the revenue.

But you can also see that it's not all greed in fashion - the costs of raw materials and labor have been outpacing general inflation.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                                • Sep 2006

are ph jackets really now over USD3500?! which of the factors is accounting for that?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎