X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
    Ok, let's make two lists, one will be filled with designers we feel are "designers" and the other with those we consider to be "artists"....

Designers that are Artists.

Hussien Chalayan
    Martin Margiela
    Carol Christian Poell
    Madame Gres
    Alexander Mcqueen
    Cristobal Balenciaga
    Elsa Schiaparelli

'The Skeleton Dress' -, Elsa Schiaparelli,

I will add more another time............Maybe we should have a "fashion as Art" thread..............we can post interesting works of art or artistic expression created by "designers"
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• eat me
      • May 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
      Maybe we should have a "fashion as Art" thread..............we can post interesting works of art or artistic expression created by "designers"

Comment

• BeauIXI
        • Nov 2008

I think that would be a good idea too, this is too much of a tangent.

Zamb, I'm definitely not saying that designers aren't artists, I'm saying that splitting a line between those who design for design's sake and who design for art's sake is a strange thing. Of course we'll still have "designers" who are completely, entirely about making a profit, but maybe it would be better to say that all these individuals are designers, some are true artists, some are artistic, and some are business-oriented, delivering only what their public desires.

I'm not trying to say anything about my opinion in this case, only my distaste for the system contrived earlier on, between artists and people who make clothing. I just don't think it works.
        Originally posted by philip nod
        somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
          Faust, if your point is to say that art only begins to exist when a creation meets a public and then gains appreciation (in the widest sense of the term), I can see what you mean. But how do you call what does exist before this moment ? Do you totally separate the creative process from what you call art ?
          I don't totally separate it, of course. The two are tied together by nature - art involves the making of things. I just think that art needs an audience. Otherwise, what good is it? What is its purpose?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
            • Nov 2008

Galliano the artist, Galliano the designer, Da Vinci, Gandhi & Buddha in particular, the Church in general, nocturnal artisan leathersmiths who dine on pork & beans, commercial designers living high on the hog, those who are "just sayin" and those who don't know what they're saying, designers who care & artists who don't, a visually arresting clown, SOMEBODY (though not the majority), those pesky capitalist bastards and the fashionistas who love them. Oh and Kafka, too.

If this spontaneous tea party didn't invite arguably the most eclectic army of lovers to the table for a drink..
            This thread, one learns, is best appreciated as a spectator.. lulz..

sain't

Comment

• Sombre
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              I don't totally separate it, of course. The two are tied together by nature - art involves the making of things. I just think that art needs an audience. Otherwise, what good is it? What is its purpose?
              Auto-satisfaction and/or self-delusion .

And Interest1, absolutely hilarious.
              Last edited by Sombre; 04-14-2010, 07:17 PM.
              An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
              I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ BTW, I love how we successfully derailed your attempt to keep on topic.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
                  • Jan 2009

Hmm. Is there a word for willfully sabotaging your own endeavours?

EDIT: \/ Interest1, It's actually a serious question. The best I could come up with was "masochism".

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

no, why don't you tell me before I decide to google it LOL..
                    sain't

Comment

• interest1
                      • Nov 2008

huh? the number of shoes Fidel Castro owns has suddenly been upgraded to a serious question? you lost me..
                      sain't

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

/\ waiting for your PM, darling.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                          huh? the number of shoes Fidel Castro owns has suddenly been upgraded to a serious question? you lost me..
                          LOL. You meant that question. I thought you were talking about the word for sabotaging one's own endeavours.

No, the Fidel Castro comment was just a joke. Although if goes through shoes like he's gone through women, I expect the number to be four digits.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Doesn't art always have an "audience", even if unreleased, or immediately destroyed, the artist, looking over his work, is a form of audience, temporally separated from him/herself, the artist.

I know what you mean, that art ought to have a social audience, but what about the cultural amalgam which absorbs silent but then imminent art? Ugh, this is getting absurd.

Posthumous (Barthes or Kafka reference, you decide) edit..
                            Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                            Had you found a way to incorporate a Cuban heel into that, would've been golden, lulz.. paging Merz..
                            Last edited by BeauIXI; 04-14-2010, 10:15 PM.
                            Originally posted by philip nod
                            somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

Had you found a way to incorporate a Cuban heel into that, would've been golden, lulz.. paging Merz.
                              sain't

Comment

• Avantster
                                ¤¤¤
                                • Sep 2006

A few points here on a number of topics that came up in this thread and seem to continually emerge in this forum every now and then.

- Dismissing something as completely subjective only limits the possibility of further discussion and learning. The beauty of art is that someone completely new to it can have something fresh and valuable to say, but this does not necessarily invalidate current knowledge of art and everything that came before it. Understanding this history and current arguments in a particular field are often critical when forming qualitative opinions. This is of particular note to fashion, which is yet to have the benefit of a large academic/theoretical body of work.

- The artist is attuned to experience, and can express this dynamic quality through an imaginative vision (not necessarily visual) to other people. The artist lives in society and understands the pre-existing attitudes and values of others both as humans and collective society, and this is what makes their vision resonate powerfully as a experience for others.

- Art(ists) and design(ers) are not mutually exclusive.

- Art evolves dynamically over time. The artist of today turns a critical eye to yesterdays definition of art, challenging and redefining it. This new way of seeing eventually hardens and becomes the established truth. It's a continual cycle where established notions are continually examined and turned on their head. As a result 'modern art' is often mystifying to newcomers. It is an acquired taste which has it's own rewards, one where where the journey is as just as important as the end result.
                                Last edited by Avantster; 04-15-2010, 09:49 PM.
                                let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎