X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shah
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
    So I have decided unless its on an (english) site I can use myself I won't get my hopes up or even bother to end up being disappointed............nothin' weird about that?
    agreed, even if i end up missing out on some potentially nice things it's not the end of the world...

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

It's a crapshoot...but so is ebay. I just tell the proxy the most I'd be willing to pay, and then see what happens...doesn't hurt to try.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• ACM
        • Jan 2011

Pretty awesome deal at the moment

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

well the last time that made me decide to avoid this is when I lost out on something I really wanted by being outbid by $10

thought i would have gotten it and it exceeded my max bid, by the time the proxy contacted me to increase the bid, the auction had closed..........kind of a waste of my time and his

with ebay, I can negotiate the deal myself in my own language,
          darn, Ive even negotiated deals on ebay where I ended up dealing with the seller directly and paid less than the listed price........

I'm not saying anyone should take this position, I just cant be bothered........
          Its the same kind of position I took with betting on horse racing many years ago.......

Originally posted by Dane View Post
          It's a crapshoot...but so is ebay. I just tell the proxy the most I'd be willing to pay, and then see what happens...doesn't hurt to try.
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Urthwhyte
            • Oct 2011

Buttero -

Buttero Combats sz41.5

Comment

• Uncontrol
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by zamb View Post
              well thats why its good to know what people mean before you make an assumption

I have tried to buy stuff through Yahoo JP before, and every time I have somehow lost out because I have no control over the bidding process by using a proxy

So I have decided unless its on an (english) site I can use myself I won't get my hopes up or even bother to end up being disappointed............nothin' weird about that?
              There are some proxy services that allow live-bidding. Rinkya and Mail Order Japan can both do this. Of course, in the end it's best to just bid the max amount you want to pay -- sniping does not work well on YJ, really.

Plus, there are lots of stores where you do not need to worry about bidding ... :)

Comment

• Lane
                • Aug 2010

Yah, especially since you can't bid in the last few seconds ebay style, there isn't really any excuse you can have for not simply bidding the maximum you'd like and accepting if you win or not.

Comment

• H-R
                  • May 2007

I have had multiple experiences on YJ where the sellers would delete my bids because they discover that they're done by a proxy to be sent overseas...

Comment

• Uncontrol
                    • Feb 2008

Yeah, this does happen sometimes ... well, the fact that there are hyper-nationalist Japanese is not really shocking haha

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                      • Aug 2008

Not to totally derail the thread, but just to let you know, YJP actually does not allow sniping. If someone puts in a last minute or last second bid, the counter will automatically add another five minutes or so to the auction. I've seen some auctions drag on quite a bit longer because of this. It's actually not a bad idea from the seller's (and yahoo's) perspective: they can ensure they're selling the item for the absolute max people are willing to pay.

Comment

• diorowen
                        • Aug 2010

^ and I hope ebay will do the same.
                        since people often love to use the sniping software that allow them to snipe in the last 3 secs :(
                        still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

To be honest...from someone who for the most part only buys, and doesn't sell...I love my sniping. When it comes to Y!J tho, whatever my max is has to do...and I've only lost out on a few things. I guess if I'm going to the trouble of having a proxy do the work for me, I'm usually willing to spend. On ebay, I often only bid because I might get it cheap. I figure if the seller has a minimum they're willing to accept, they should have started the auction at that price...otherwise I'm willing to take advantage of the situation.
                          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• michael_kard
                            • Oct 2010

Yeah, to be honest as a seller sniping sucks cos you don't know the value of your item till the end of the auction. At the same time, I haven't bid normally since 2010..
                            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

its interesting the course the discussion has taken

for me its never about sniping at the last minute/ sec or whatever..... Matter of fact I hate bidding on items and try to avoid it as much as possible
                              I prefer to buy items BIN or usually contact the seller to see if they have a price they are willing to accept for the item............this way i know i am gonna buy, rather than hoping to get

I guess its the loss of control on the deal I hate, and the time lapse to increase the max bid if it goes over that.............either way, only if its in SZ classifieds or some other English environment, i'm not buyin'
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• endorphinz
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2009

the worst thing about sniping is losing to someone by a few $$ and not knowing how high that person was willing to go. I mean after the auction is over it may look like you lost by practically nuthin but you really never know.
                                ie: if my bid was just a lil higher, would I have won?

I guess you should always snipe with your absolute max but is there really such a thing?

ps: I always use sniping software (local not online)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎