Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregor
    • Oct 2014

i mean, no need to get angry, as was said, by you no less, to each their own.

there's something to be said for craftsmanship and simplicity, and honestly those two things are absolutely key in most of the best looks and pieces. i'd much rather a subdued look, where details and attention is in the nuances as opposed to loud graphics or patterns or the like.

plus, it's an incredibly rare bag, it has yohji's name on it, it's by hermes, and it's worth what people are willing to pay, which in the case of other, more extraneous items and auctions, makes this seem more than quite a reasonable price.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I agree in principle, I just don't find this bag beautiful. I think it's mostly that eyesore of a buckle that's throwing me off.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• the breaks
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Looks kinda crap, no? Something a computer programmer would carry to work. I am sure the leather is very nice.
        Exactly! Thank you!
        Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• snafu
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Why start with "to each their own" and end with an attack?
          Not an attack but every time i hear goth or ninja on their own it makes me cringe, and together even more.

Comment

• upsilonkng
            • May 2010

but isn't classic or timeless just as bad? isn't that the same as granny or old timey? personally i wouldnt want anything that henry ford would've used really, let's keep moving forward and not be bound by " timeless " things.. timeless to me is just chickenshit.

Comment

• Schleudersitz
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
              but isn't classic or timeless just as bad? isn't that the same as granny or old timey? personally i wouldnt want anything that henry ford would've used really, let's keep moving forward and not be bound by " timeless " things.. timeless to me is just chickenshit.
              Some would argue that getting dressed is a form of performance, and reading this place sometimes makes one imagine that some posters must view it as a competitive sporting event. I think what snafu was speaking of when he brought up classicism is not old-timeyness of something but the immediately and easily recognized within different social hierarchies, what Fuuma described as the glue of formality holding social bonds together. The ten thousand paid are not purchasing quality of leather or construction. That can be assumed as good as anything else within general price range. The money buys a set of immediate signals to a broad range of other people. Like, that you conspicuously consume symbols of luxury to signal your position to others above and below. The bag has inherent function, but the main reason people buy it is to display that they can, and whatever that may say about them.

Comment

• braver
                • Sep 2013

Rick Owens Plinth ponyhair boots. Biege.

Low

High

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                  Not an attack but every time i hear goth or ninja on their own it makes me cringe, and together even more.
                  You won't get an argument from me on that one. As long as you don't jumble together those who do it from the heart and those who do it as a trend. Not to open the entire authenticity debate again...
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Schleudersitz View Post
                    Some would argue that getting dressed is a form of performance, and reading this place sometimes makes one imagine that some posters must view it as a competitive sporting event. I think what snafu was speaking of when he brought up classicism is not old-timeyness of something but the immediately and easily recognized within different social hierarchies, what Fuuma described as the glue of formality holding social bonds together. The ten thousand paid are not purchasing quality of leather or construction. That can be assumed as good as anything else within general price range. The money buys a set of immediate signals to a broad range of other people. Like, that you conspicuously consume symbols of luxury to signal your position to others above and below. The bag has inherent function, but the main reason people buy it is to display that they can, and whatever that may say about them.
                    True to some degree, but I think what snaf meant by classic sort of a thing that's hard to improve upon and something made with methods used when they knew how to make things.* But maybe we should stop speaking for him

*Speaking of which - I spent the entire morning today at the Nymphenburg porcelain factory and it totally blew my mind. They make things the same way they made them when they began in 1747. Now, would I put most of it - ornately decorated dog or hunter figurines - in my apartment? Hello, no. But, do I admire what they do? Fuck, yes. And along the traditional stuff they have been creating absolutely modern things, which I would (and will) put into my apartment, and I know that this is the thing that's impossible to improve upon in terms of quality of material and craftsmanship.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• grapefruitpop
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Schleudersitz View Post
                      This pseudo intellectual word vomit was extremely painful to read.

Comment

• Schleudersitz
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by grapefruitpop View Post
                        This pseudo intellectual word vomit was extremely painful to read.
                        Hang on, are you actually boasting about your general ignorance and lack of basic reading comprehension? You may as well have replied with "HODOR!"

Comment

• nahneun
                          • Feb 2011

Sorry, but it was, in fact, extremely poorly written. Excessively verbose while conveying very little substance. You'd be better off saying, "real recognize real. haters gon hate. posers be posers."

Brahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

• Schleudersitz
                            • Sep 2014

Where2kop ro senaker. Thanks for the advice, the demographic changed since I started lurking out here.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                              • Jul 2013

Don't listen to them, fuck the haters.
                              bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• nahneun
                                • Feb 2011

Congratulations on becoming a self-aware pseudo-intellectual hipster circlejerker! You'll fit right in.

Many have mastered butchering the English language here. Brevity is apparently a lost art.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎