Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zen dog
    • Jan 2014

Casm- I still can't figure this out. Some European shops say taxes and duties included- and so they are. I (US) ordered a pair of shoes from overseas- pretty sure it was DHL not Fed-Ex shipped. The shoes were about $400, customs $150. I called DHL and they patiently explained there was some customs system - shoes or boots, leather or not, etc.

The shops that include customs can't be eating $150 on a $400 sale- they must have their own clearing house or work with the shipper in some way. I heard Fed-Ex had their own customs but I've had to pay customs with them as well. I don't know if its the size of the operation or what but it can be a gamble when they say "customs not included."

Comment

• zeebee
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by zen dog View Post
      Casm- I still can't figure this out. Some European shops say taxes and duties included- and so they are. I (US) ordered a pair of shoes from overseas- pretty sure it was DHL not Fed-Ex shipped. The shoes were about $400, customs $150. I called DHL and they patiently explained there was some customs system - shoes or boots, leather or not, etc.

The shops that include customs can't be eating $150 on a $400 sale- they must have their own clearing house or work with the shipper in some way. I heard Fed-Ex had their own customs but I've had to pay customs with them as well. I don't know if its the size of the operation or what but it can be a gamble when they say "customs not included."
      The taxes and duty included in European shops is the VAT. The customs you are being charged is US customs. Different govt, different tax.

Comment

• gregor
        • Oct 2014

delete if this has been shared, but shit.

Where to buy products from Japan? Want to buy from Japanese online stores and ship to your country? ZenMarket is the best Japan proxy shopping service for you! Discover online shopping in Japan - directly shop on Mercari, Amazon Japan, Rakuten, and Rakuma - or live bid on Yahoo! Auctions Japan for Japanese products.

price isn't a steal per se but for a piece like this it kinda is. it has a been too

Comment

• casem
          • Sep 2006

Thanks for the input everyone. I emailed Serie Noire and they said they would make sure it was cleared so I wouldn't incur U.S. customs. Great service and fast shipping (arrived the next day from France, DHL is magic!) and got some boots I've been drooling over for a great price!

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
          i didnt get a bill last 2 times i ordered.
          music

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by casem View Post
            Thanks for the input everyone. I emailed Serie Noire and they said they would make sure it was cleared so I wouldn't incur U.S. customs. Great service and fast shipping (arrived the next day from France, DHL is magic!) and got some boots I've been drooling over for a great price!
            Which ones?
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

These

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Which ones?
              music

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Wow, Casey! What's happening?! Soon you will go from poet to full on warrior! :-)
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Indes
                  • Feb 2015

Three alarmingly inexpensive M.A+ leather pieces

Two in Mikado Yellow and one in teal. Seller has all the pieces tagged to fit a L

Buy, sell and discover authenticated pieces from top brands, spanning designer, vintage, streetwear and more. Shop men's and women's clothing on Grailed, the platform for personal style. Explore top listings from the community today.

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

Haha, what can I say, I'm going hardcore.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Wow, Casey! What's happening?! Soon you will go from poet to full on warrior! :-)
                    music

Comment

• Tiranis
                      • Feb 2007

The limit on duty-free imports recently went up to $800 in US (to be more specific, it went into effect on March 10th). Used to be $200 and the only way to avoid was to put lower value than $200 or sending by regular post.

Originally posted by zen dog View Post
                      If it says 'customs included' then the prices you're seeing are often already inflated to include customs (a lot of retailers use Pitney Bowes to automate this).

On most items, customs is between 10-20% so some smaller retailers do indeed eat the cost. It's better than getting bad reviews from US customers and losing a big market like that.

Of course, with the limit now at $800, this will be an issue on far fewer purchases.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Haha, what can I say, I'm going hardcore.
                        I love it!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• HugAndWug
                          • Aug 2014

this seller has some really good inaisce pieces for very cheap!

i wish they had more that i didn't own/have different versions of :(

Comment

• woupes
                            • Apr 2011

Luisaviaroma has 30% off A1923, Julius and Boris among others, use code SAVE30
                            Last edited by woupes; 04-22-2016, 05:58 AM. Reason: Add info

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                              • Dec 2012

Devoa down+leather at a huge discount

huge discount on this amazing Devoa down jacket with leather sleeves in a cool size 3 @layerslondon !

LAYERS sources the finest avant-garde and contemporary fashion designers from around the world. Discover Maison Margiela, Uma Wang, MM6, By Walid, Rundholz, and more at our boutique in Soho, London!

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                                • Sep 2008

Some rick on sale on thecorner. I.e. a few basics with 30% off.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎