X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by BBSCCP View Post
    it´s a bit out of context, but is pilling a prove for bad material selection?
    I found all the LUC stuff (sweaters) extremely pilling and don´t know how to counteract...
    for some items yes................
    I can live with some fabrics pilling, but for a beautiful wool coat, such fabrics should be avoided, especially if the coat can be made and will look just as nice in a fabric that doesn't............

whatever the case, i dont think most people enjoy their garments pilling
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

yeah, i don't really like anything pilling. i can accept it on a knit, but not on a coat - that is just bad quality.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
        Banned
        • May 2008

^every one of my old wool or blend raf coats pilled beyond recognition.

Comment

• ironman
          • Apr 2008

i've seen the cautionary disclaimer tales on many hang tags, but still

to be worn around your neck lol

"please also note that this stole may scratch or cut the skin"

Comment

• graydot
            • Aug 2009

i don't necessarily think pilling is synonymous with poor quality. although it annoys me that my cooked wool BBS jumper pills like no other. apart from that, i love the look and feel of the material. as a piece ages won't pilling just stop occurring? or is that a misconception.

Comment

• snafu
              • Apr 2008

im not sure how many good finds will be on page 666

Comment

• BeauIXI
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by graydot View Post
                i don't necessarily think pilling is synonymous with poor quality. [...] as a piece ages won't pilling just stop occurring? or is that a misconception.
                Well the worsted textiles used in a lot of outerwear I own has never pilled, and a lot of said textiles are extremely old. Just sayin'. It's my impression that pilling is the literal decomposition of a woven fabric. Of course it's not that simple, as many textiles will stop pilling after a certain age, it's just the nature of the specific weave, but some may pill continuously until all you have left is a Glad bag full of cotton or whathaveyou. Anyway, back to good finds...
                Originally posted by philip nod
                somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

I think that we as consumers have come to accept a lot of bull crap from designers, and even go at lengths to find justifications for it.........and I am saying that as both a designer and client.
                  For me, if I spend $800+ dollars on a coat, or even $500 on the secondhand market, I dont want it pilling...........plain and simple. As I have said before, there is no shortage of good fabrics on the market, and at decent prices too, and a little testing of the fabrics can go a long way in preventing things like these.......... For me, I am always testing the fabrics I use, before I make a garment from it.
                  I am testing for shrinkage, for durability, for comfort, for colorfastness etc.
                  I believe in good value for money. Before I use a fabric in my collection there are three basic test that it must pass.......
                  1. it has to look good
                  2. it has to feel good against the skin
                  3. it has to be durable............
                  If it doesn't meet this criteria, then I wont use it, it is also for this reason that once I find a great fabric, I will use it for several seasons...while I am researching something new, I also make and wear items from a fabric I like before I include it in the collection because then I know how it will perform before I do........ Customers should demand these things from the designers they support, its not enough to offer an aesthetically appealing garment..............they should also be durable and thats not too much to ask for.........
                  Last edited by zamb; 12-12-2010, 06:32 PM.
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• seatbelts
                    • Sep 2010

^ exactly. I've had TERRIBLE experiences with anything DRKSHDW. In two wears its already ripping in 5 places. And DRKSHDW isn't cheap.
                    julius leather jacket size 2
                    http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14217

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Agreed with Zam. Anyone who has a 10+ year tenure buying designer clothes can attest to the decreasing quality of many designer offerings. This is why I am increasingly turning to young labels like Devoa.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• plasmoplas
                        • Sep 2010

care to expand upon who's quality you believe has declined / who has entered the field with a quality offering?

as an aside, i usually avoid diffusion labels for the reason seatbelts mentioned.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                          • Nov 2008

Hate to butt in again, but maybe this should be moved? Seems like a fairly fruitful discussion to have.
                          Originally posted by philip nod
                          somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• michael_kard
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by plasmoplas View Post
                            care to expand upon who's quality you believe has declined / who has entered the field with a quality offering
                            that would be great indeed. i know Ann D knits are quite bad, and also some of the heavily washed drkshdw.

+ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

cdg x brooks brothers. retail price was around 300 gbp if i remember correctly
                            Last edited by michael_kard; 12-13-2010, 10:30 AM.
                            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• doldrums
                              • Dec 2008

sorry to state the obvious

one man's pilling is another man's texture...

Comment

• casem
                                • Sep 2006

Buy alpaca! It's a bit fuzzy, but no pilling on my alpaca garments. Plus its soft and not destroying the environment like cashmere.
                                music

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎