• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soultek
    • Feb 2007

Re: Hypothetical Question: Head-to-Toe

[quote user="Running om Empty"]

I have a question concerning the fit of Cloak vest being sold by Shop Jake. How is it sized, could I stuff myself in the medium if I normally wear a large?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.shopjake.com//index.php?p...roduct_ID=1227

[/quote]

Personally I wear an XL in Cloak. Usually I find myself a Large in most other brands. My chest size is 42". The armhole/shoulders can be a little snug if I reach a certain way on some things, but you wouldn't have that problem on a vest anyways. hmm.. this probably didn't help you..

Comment

• casem
      • Sep 2006

I would say probably not. Many of the shirts this season and some pants are running large because they are supposed to be boxy, so I've been buying XS instead of S. But I got that vest in small and it is very fitted on me, so I don't think that's an item you could size down on.
      music

Comment

• explicit
        • Jan 2007

Agreed, the vest is rather fitted. Stick with a large if you can find it. I'd bet the medium would fit too snug overall. It's worth calling Jake though; sometimes they have other sizes not listed on the site.

Comment

• drexl
          • Sep 2006

Gutpocho had a Cloak vest from spring 2005 (not the same vest though) for sale in XL, but it was cut uber-small (like 20" pit to pit or something). I'd either ask the store to measure it up, or stick with an XL if you've got a 42" chest.

Comment

• justine
            • Jan 2007

Definitely Helmut Lang, or Yohji Yamamoto. I also think Margiela would be a great choice there. For head-to-toe look, the designers have to be very versatile. I feel those 3 are.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]I was tempted to say Ann, but I just can't really see myself in that full aesthetic. That's why I find this so hard, there aren't really any designers who have my aeshetic, which to is ultimately a mish-mash of Streetwear (Kim Jones and some of the smaller Japanese Brands), Gothic / Poetic (Poell / Ann) and my main inspiration, the sort of melded Futuristic / Youthful / Architectural work, via my favorite designer, Raf Simons.

But even with Raf, I don't think I'd wear it head to toe.

I think ultimately I'd probably go with A.P.C. of all companies, just because it's closest to my ideal, and lands generally in that perfect space between casual / dressy where no matter how "dressed down" you generally are in their clothes, you still seem more than casual. They also share that very "clean" aesthetic with Raf, but sometimes also enter into that more sporty / streetwear style, as well. None of the gothic element, ultimately, but that's probably the element I like to introduce the least. Not because it's necessarily my least favorite, more beacuse I think it's most interesting in small doses in other, cleaner, outfits, and also because I don't consider myself stylish enough to ever be able to carry off the "Dark Fashion Lord" look, even in small doses, unfortunately. The most I'd ever really go with would perhaps be a dark Jas M.B. bag or somesuch, or boots (although I find the skinhead / youthful types more interesting generally), but even both of those typically manage to overwhelm the rest of my outfits on my diminuitive and generally unattractive frame. So that'd probably be who I'd go with.[/quote]

I fully agree with you, that would pretty much be my answer too. while I like many of the designers mentioned, I probably couldn't see myself in the full aesthetic but I rather like individual pieces. apc is a really safe call though, but I have to agree with that ;)

I think I could find several outfits from Rick Ownes items, atleast if drkshdw is included. raf simons, maybe actually. I'm just wearing raf shorts and a raf tee so I guess I could do it but I would probably rely on some of the more simple pieces.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• soultek
                • Feb 2007

[quote user="mike b"][quote user="Servo2000"]I was tempted to say Ann, but I just can't really see myself in that full aesthetic. That's why I find this so hard, there aren't really any designers who have my aeshetic, which to is ultimately a mish-mash of Streetwear (Kim Jones and some of the smaller Japanese Brands), Gothic / Poetic (Poell / Ann) and my main inspiration, the sort of melded Futuristic / Youthful / Architectural work, via my favorite designer, Raf Simons.

But even with Raf, I don't think I'd wear it head to toe.

I think ultimately I'd probably go with A.P.C. of all companies, just because it's closest to my ideal, and lands generally in that perfect space between casual / dressy where no matter how "dressed down" you generally are in their clothes, you still seem more than casual. They also share that very "clean" aesthetic with Raf, but sometimes also enter into that more sporty / streetwear style, as well. None of the gothic element, ultimately, but that's probably the element I like to introduce the least. Not because it's necessarily my least favorite, more beacuse I think it's most interesting in small doses in other, cleaner, outfits, and also because I don't consider myself stylish enough to ever be able to carry off the "Dark Fashion Lord" look, even in small doses, unfortunately. The most I'd ever really go with would perhaps be a dark Jas M.B. bag or somesuch, or boots (although I find the skinhead / youthful types more interesting generally), but even both of those typically manage to overwhelm the rest of my outfits on my diminuitive and generally unattractive frame. So that'd probably be who I'd go with.[/quote]

I fully agree with you, that would pretty much be my answer too. while I like many of the designers mentioned, I probably couldn't see myself in the full aesthetic but I rather like individual pieces. apc is a really safe call though, but I have to agree with that ;)

I think I could find several outfits from Rick Ownes items, atleast if drkshdw is included. raf simons, maybe actually. I'm just wearing raf shorts and a raf tee so I guess I could do it but I would probably rely on some of the more simple pieces.

[/quote]

I've got to agree with you guys, APC would be a very close second for me.

Comment

• kucejoe
                  • Sep 2006

Well, I have actually thought about this and choosing one brand is quite difficult:

-When I first got into clothing/fashion (i.e. about a year and a half ago) I would have chosen Cloak, no question. However, I now feel that my aesthetic is starting to evolve and move on and that it is just a touch too goth/military for me now. I still like Cloak though and if this question was about you favorite season, FW04 would probably be my pick.

-Label Under Construction (which I am really starting to like) or maybe Carpe Diem would be an easy choice since it really appeals to me in almost all aspects and I could see myself wearing it every day. I cannot pick it however, because this opinion is based only on pictures I have seen online. I have never handled, or even seen any LUC or CDiem in real life.

-I was too late to see Helmut Lang in his prime, otherwise I might have chosen him (Theory/"Lang" leaves a further sour taste in my mouth).

-Okay, final answer: Raf Simons. I really like the youthful, but mature/grown up at the same time clothing he puts out. The cut is amazing, skinny (except when he plays with volume, which I like as well) but not tight (I hate having something too tight on my upper half). He has some really interesting items, but also lots of great "regular" stuff. One problem I canpredict is that for daily wear, it all might be a bit too structured, but I feel that I could adjust to that. So Raf Simons it is, though some days I would probably wish I had chosen something super-simple like Club Monaco or something...see it is hard to choose.

Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• CHRIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2006

gareth pugh! since rick owens' factory will be doing his production for next season, and mr. pugh seems to be showing increasingly wearable collections, it could very well happen!

or, more realistically, raf simons.

Comment

• deuxmille
                      • Nov 2006

Seems to be a lot of people that would wear Raf Simons!! I had a change of heart recently, before I would have said Raf too, but I realized that I'm not that comfortable wearing some of his stuff and that I dont really like it that much anymore, especially the way the clothes fall in the back (jackets and shirts). Plus I'm extremely tired of skinny clothes. Now, I would say a mix of LUC and Bless. Of course in a weird monolabelic (new word?) world, I would probably have to go with Helmut Lang, even if I don't own any (too young to have bought anything when he was still there).

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
                        • Jan 2007

Head-to-toe would have to be Rick Owens. He's the only designer I can think of where all the different elements of his design (jackets, trousers, t-shirts, shirts, coats) seem to completely suit me.
                        the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎