X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

Thanks everyone for the comprehensive responses. Definitely have a few to check into.
    Faust, oddly enough as a 48, I have some Ann XS that fit me well, even in the arms. It's very hit and miss depending on the fabric and season...but some of my favorites are from Ann.

I have a space oddity type of body (space boddity). My arms are pretty thin and long and my upper chest is probably normal for my height/weight. I kind of look like a tall version of ET with a bit longer set of legs.

Definitely looking into Gitman Bros., Black Fleece and a few others mentioned here.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

My body is Space Boddity as well; I have tried Black Fleece when it first launched and it was not quite the Thom Browne line fit...the latter is definitely more modern and trim, whereas the BF felt more like a boxier/more staid Brooks Brothers shirt except with the BF logo, really. I don't know if the line has adapted itself since then, this was several years ago.

If you like a straight fit shirt with some subtle and interesting detailing to break up the monotony, not too tapered, Yohji Yamamoto is also good. I am slim, but never found them baggy and shapeless, possibly because I'm also tall, actually sounds like what you describe. These are also nice worn off-duty open with a t-shirt as a shirt jacket.
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• neonrider
        • Jan 2008

i recently bought a uniqlo +j shirt, and i was pleasantly surprised.

b-store in london has some fairly ok ones, sometimes.

i think the middle ground is hard to find for slimmer shirts is hard to find (and way underserved). i'd probably just have them mtm, all said and done.
        ""assuming the economy doesn't force us to eat the rich and object-tan their hides" -- merz

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

Cloak/Versace made excellent shirts, with perfect proportions for tall guys.
          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• cowsareforeating
            • Jan 2011

gee thanks michael. 2 years later. XD

I think m2m is the way to go on these shirts. Guaranteed good fit and probably cheaper than any brands you'll come across. That being said, its becoming increasingly difficult to find a substantial and good handfeel oxford cloth

Comment

• surver
              • Oct 2007

funny no one has mentioned good ol' POLO... haven't worn any for years but remember they had the best oxford button ups (the classic ones with the small color horse/polo player logo)... i remember years ago that they were slim fit, with smaller collars and cuffs and got better with each wash... don't know if it's all changed now hence no mention?

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by surver View Post
                funny no one has mentioned good ol' POLO... haven't worn any for years but remember they had the best oxford button ups (the classic ones with the small color horse/polo player logo)... i remember years ago that they were slim fit, with smaller collars and cuffs and got better with each wash... don't know if it's all changed now hence no mention?
                I typed a post earlier about this but didn't click the "submit reply" button so it went away

Ralph Lauren dress shirts fit really big but in terms of collar shape and fabric quality they are some of the best around........I have some from about five or six years ago that I re-cut and made slimmer and I still wear them to Church on the weekends.

I pretty much make most of my own now, and we have some button ups in the collection each season, but I guess they are not the "traditional" button up shorts either.........
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                  • Jan 2011

oh i forgot. stephan schneider is awesome.

Comment

• beardown
                    rekoner
                    • Feb 2009

I think what I've ultimately found since I posted this is that it's specific to each body as to how well an off the rack shirt will fit. I wanted shirts I could wear while I'm painting and slumming.

For nice occasions, Ann and Raf remain my go-to button up shirts. But I did get some J+ shirts that fit like a charm (and I was so impressed, I picked up a suit because it basically fit right off the rack) and some H&M shirts because they fit and when they do get crudded in the line of duty, I'm OK with that.

TJ Maxx and Marshall's are decent places for cheap button up shirts if you need beaters. I don't wear 'nice' clothes enough to justify too many of the really well made ones but I keep enough on hand should a situation arise.
                    Originally posted by mizzar
                    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• KingJulien
                      • Oct 2011

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere here but if what you need is a really basic dress shirt Yoox has Calvin Klein Collection for $30 in a couple colors, I didn't own any in the right size so I grabbed two. Great fabric, you may want to get them tailored a bit but at that price it's a seriously good deal.

As far as casual shirts, my favorite at the moment is from Yigal Azroel, it looks almost like a normal blue oxford but the fabric's all shimmery and the seams are crooked. Runs huge though.

Edit: Yeah, I've found that as well Beardown. It actually took me a little bit to realize that taking internet advice on shirting was a terrible idea, since I'm taller/bigger in the arms than your average poster.

Comment

• christianef
                        • Feb 2009

margiela - narrow collar, good cut, some funky patterns/ prints

Comment

• rudo
                          • Feb 2009

NICOLAS ANDREAS TARALIS makes great buttoned shirts or at least did couple seasons ago they fit similar to what DH used to be. I always loved Lanvin ones with grosgrain details as well these two are not cheap though. I get my cheap ones to work from +J, they are good for what they are.

Comment

• syed
                            • Sep 2010

For a cheap and cheerful option I really like Muji shirts. Either the normal organic cotton or the slim fit, which have a touch of stretch. Nice length and a clean fit. Obviously depends on body type, but I'm stick thin and tall and they fit well, and my brother is standard sample small and they fit well.
                            "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• ACM
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                              Express shirts are cheap, well made, taper in the waist and are the right length for tucking. Ime, they fit like jil sander button ups.
                              Yeah I agree the fits are surprisingly nice, but I can't deal with the spandex mixed in.

Comment

• KingJulien
                                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by acm100 View Post
                                Yeah I agree the fits are surprisingly nice, but I can't deal with the spandex mixed in.
                                Can't believe I'm discussing Express on SZ, but only the cheap ugly basic shirts have spandex. Most of the less basic ones are 100% cotton. I actually rather like the two I have , though I'm too big for one now. Quality sucks so don't expect it to last too long, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎