X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unmetro
    • Sep 2006

Re: Vibram soles on boots...

So in general it's a good idea to have a cobbler sand down the underside of the shoe and replace it with a rubber sole? I know that it'll provide additional traction, but will it extend the life of the shoe as well?

I just replaced the bottom of my Buttero boots with some TOPY (http://www.topy.fr/index.php4?p=sommaire) soles, which is all the cobblers where I'm about carry. Ran me about 12$.

Comment

• soultek
      • Feb 2007

[quote user="unmetro"]

So in general it's a good idea to have a cobbler sand down the underside of the shoe and replace it with a rubber sole? I know that it'll provide additional traction, but will it extend the life of the shoe as well?

I just replaced the bottom of my Buttero boots with some TOPY (http://www.topy.fr/index.php4?p=sommaire) soles, which is all the cobblers where I'm about carry. Ran me about 12$.

[/quote]

I think the thought here is that you'll never need to replace the original leather soles of your shoes. Once the rubber wears down, just replace it. It won't of course extend the life of the uppers of your shoe, but it will definitely extend the life of the original soles.

Comment

• unmetro
        • Sep 2006

Thanks for the clarification ;-)

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

BTW, just had my cobbler put on the tabs on my Office Creative boots' heels - $2 total.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

/\ thats the same price my cobbler charges, $2 for the back and $1.50 for the front, I used to do it myself ........... but felt bad because it is so reasonable........... and i like the experience of spending money with a tradesman
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• T4L
              • May 2007

hmm yea the general price around my area is $30-$35...but they all seem to carry the rubber sheets or plastic sheets that have horizontal tread on them...maybe i can ask them to sand it down? but i'm thinking it might just undermine the idea of putting them there to make them last longer [^o)]

Comment

• mustard
                • Mar 2007

I'm new to the adding soles onto boots/dress shoes. I have two pairs of shoes that I would like to protect the shoes of. Both are fairly new (worn 3x), one has a very thin leather sole while the other has a wooden sole. Should I get Vibram soles put on?

Also, what are these taps that you add on?

Comment

• DHC
                  • Jul 2007

If you want to extend the life of your shoes I'd definitely add some protection. I have them applied to all my shoes with the exception of a pair of CCP boots which I've been meaning to take in. The thin leather soles sound really thin, I'd go with TOPY there. The taps are typically placed at the heel and some people opt to add toe taps as well. They are mounted to the area in which you experience the most wear, which depends on the way you walk.

More so than to protect your shoe with the wooden sole. I think I'd add rubber sole protectors to avoid embarrassing slips from the lack of traction.

Originally posted by Faust
                  fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• mesh
                    • Dec 2006

[quote user="DHC"]

The thin leather soles sound really thin, I'd go with TOPY there. The taps are typically placed at the heel and some people opt to add toe taps as well.

[/quote]

Is this a brand like vibram? Why would one put the rubber sole on the front only to leave the heel exposed?

Comment

• RADO
                      • Nov 2007

My advice would be change the tap heel only when needed. It means the original tap should be wore out by one side or edge according how you walk or drive before being replacing for a new one. This fact is quite weird when having wore your shoes only 3 times.

The sole is protected most of the time by a thin leather coat, I recommend you to replace this coat when starting seeing the stitches and ask for another leather coat similar colour if your shoes are hand made. Rubber one gives you more protection and avoid slips from the first day but it is not the right material for a nice pair of shoes according to my opinion.

Vibram is well known for mountain footwear and now being used by some shoes manufacturer. I do not know if you can find that brand on a shoe-repairer.

Comment

• DHC
                        • Jul 2007

[quote user="mesh"][quote user="DHC"]

The thin leather soles sound really thin, I'd go with TOPY there. The taps are typically placed at the heel and some people opt to add toe taps as well.

[/quote]

Is this a brand like vibram? Why would one put the rubber sole on the front only to leave the heel exposed?

[/quote]

Yes, it is another brand. Personally, I don't use taps. I have the heel covered with the rubber as well.

Sartorialoft

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="DHC"][quote user="mesh"][quote user="DHC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, it is another brand. Personally, I don't use taps. I have the heel covered with the rubber as well.

[/quote]

I use taps all the time, just because I wear them out really quickly, and they cost $1 a pop to replace at my cobbler.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DHC
                            • Jul 2007

Dude, your cobbler rocks!

Sartorialoft

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                              • Nov 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

I use taps all the time, just because I wear them out really quickly, and they cost $1 a pop to replace at my cobbler.

[/quote]

I have been trolling over this decision for the past month of what I want to do to protect my shoes. Basically I have excessive heel wear [aka duck feet], I had one pair of boots I wear often tapped to try it out, but I do notice that it adds a lot of extra noise to the shoe when walking that was not there before.

What are the pros and cons of a getting a shoe tappedto getting a full rubber heel?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="andrewislasorad"][quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

I have been trolling over this decision for the past month of what I want to do to protect my shoes. Basically I have excessive heel wear [aka duck feet], I had one pair of boots I wear often tapped to try it out, but I do notice that it adds a lot of extra noise to the shoe when walking that was not there before.

What are the pros and cons of a getting a shoe tappedto getting a full rubber heel?

[/quote]

Well, taps are obviously cheaper and are easily replaced. Unless you always walk on wooden floors, I don't really see a problem. My shoes don't bother me, that's for sure.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎