• Show
Clear All
  • reborn
    • Aug 2008

Critical Shopper | Amalga
    To Rediscover the West, Head East
    By CINTRA WILSON
    Published: April 2, 2009
    Amalga in SoHo brings a Japanese view of American style into focus.

I'm starting to like this store...they have some awesome backlash boots, some not so interesting Kiminori Morishita footwear, Castro, MB999...the presentation of merch is still confusing.

PS: they give you a little bag of amalga brand candy, which was pretty tasty, with each purchase.

Comment

• Danny
      • Feb 2010

Amalga NYC ???

Have they closed down ? Or moved to another spot ? Any other places in NYC that sell the same designers ? Thank you

Comment

• eris quod sum
        • Jun 2009

closed. I worked there... what are you looking for? I can probably help you out.

Comment

• eris quod sum
          • Jun 2009

Mind you, I started after the spotty service/ follows you like a hawk statements. :P

Comment

• Danny
            • Feb 2010

I was wondering where else in the city I could find the same type of labels that were sold there

Comment

• reborn
              • Aug 2008

Jeffery has been known to carry LGB and If Six Was Nine; Takashimaya carries Christian Peau; Lazaro carries MB 999; ...I cannot think of a single location that houses all of the lines.

Kinda disappointed to see this place closed. They had such a unique collection of lines. Anyone know the story behind the closing?

Comment

• Danny
                • Feb 2010

How about ISAMU KATAYAMA BACKLASH ? Any places that sell leathers ?

Comment

• reborn
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                  How about ISAMU KATAYAMA BACKLASH ? Any places that sell leathers ?
                  in NYC...I'm not familiar with any. Heartless, Alan Bilzerian, and H.Lorenzo all carry Backlash leathers (as well as most of the other labels that Amalga carried).

Comment

• Danny
                    • Feb 2010

Thank you so much do they have websites ? ?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by reborn View Post
                      Jeffery has been known to carry LGB and If Six Was Nine; Takashimaya carries Christian Peau; Lazaro carries MB 999; ...I cannot think of a single location that houses all of the lines.

Kinda disappointed to see this place closed. They had such a unique collection of lines. Anyone know the story behind the closing?
                      No offense, but that store had FAIL written on it sine its inception. You can't just bring a bunch of obscure Japanese labels (and Thomas Wilde, who had what, about 1 season worth of hype before the fashionistats moved on?), plop them into an exorbitantly expensive SoHo space and think that it will sell like hotcakes to mere passerbys. I never thought it would last.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eris quod sum
                        • Jun 2009

For MB999... Oak did carry it, I would buy it anywhere over Lazarro... I saw the black tanks, which retail for $120 being sold at Lazarro for $180 or somewhere around there.

Same goes with anything from Maniac at Jeffrey... their markup is off the charts, buy the shit from Yahoo auction... you will get a much better deal and there is a great selection on there.

And for you Faust... As you stated previously, you have not been in the store for ages. The selection evolved greatly over my time there alone... although I completely agree with you about Thomas Wylde, as I am not a fan either... There were a lot of great pieces and labels that you could not find anywhere else in the city.

The store actually did not close due to financial difficulties here in New York... sales were actually quite up and I have the commission statements to prove it. The difficulty came from Japan. I won't go on in detail about that matter.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ Ok, you worked there, you know better :-)
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eris quod sum
                            • Jun 2009

I apologize for coming across as a bitch. I just put a lot of my heart, and time of course, into that shop and trying to bring about the improvements it needed. It was on a great track. It's a shame they had to leave... but I honestly don't expect it to be permanent.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

No worries. I understand how it feels to have something dear to you criticized.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎