• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuE
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by stagename View Post
    Thanks bonejelly that's great to know!

NOMAD has only SILENT and CDG shirt from what i remember. Haven't been there for a while though.
    Yep Nomad has only SILENT iirc. There's more often more stuff in-store than what's up on the website though.
    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• eleves
      • Sep 2012

I've heard Da Zoo is where it's at as the Serpentine has terrible customer service. Any truth to this?
      Originally posted by Faust
      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• stagename
        • Oct 2011

Da Zoo only have a few brands that Serpentine carries. Check their respective websites to compare: S / DZ.

I know a few members of this forum did have issues at S service-wise. My experience has been good. I just find their prices rather prohibitive compare to elsewhere. Then again they kinda have a monopoly on the genre in the city. their buys are usually pretty good. I don't know for DZ.

have fun!

Comment

• deadboy
          • Jul 2013

Do any of you guys happen to be the Star's shopping reporter, per chance?

Weird timing.

Also, for what it's worth (given my post count), I've had good customer service at Serpentine.

Comment

• eleves
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by deadboy View Post
            Do any of you guys happen to be the Star's shopping reporter, per chance?

Weird timing.

Also, for what it's worth (given my post count), I've had good customer service at Serpentine.
            Haha yeah timing is weird. I didn't know that they carried Undercover at Da Zoo. I also really like the name "Da Zoo"
            Originally posted by Faust
            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• deadboy
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by eleves View Post
              I also really like the name "Da Zoo"
              I kind of hate the way they write it on their sign though.

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Service at Serpentine is good...I've never had any issues whatsoever, they've always been very nice.

Agreed that "Da Zoo" is a ridiculous name, but any new shops that sell rick are welcome, regardless of name.
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Icarium
                  • Oct 2010

Flying out to Toronto for 10 days... what's good for food?

Going to make a reservation for Richmond station. Definitely going to try not to eat Banh mi Boyz every day... and get some Khao San Road too in for Thai.

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

For something casual: http://www.yelp.ca/biz/arepa-caf%C3%A9-toronto-2

Curvy Queen sanwich is the most amazing, simple meal I've ever had, hands down.
                    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Icarium
                      • Oct 2010

Thanks Dane! Will put those on my list, casual is great and more up my alley... haven't had much in the way of fine dining experiences, but vacation is a good way to dip your toe in the water :)

Comment

• dji
                        • Feb 2008

on the food tip any other recommendations for Toronto? staying downtown so somewhere within walking distance would be preferable. made a booking for Shoto but something more local would be good too. was thinking Le Petit Dejeuner might be good for brunch but Arepa may be a more interesting choice. Banh Mi Boys might be a go too, banh mi in the DC area kinda sucks..

Comment

• Icarium
                          • Oct 2010

banh mi boyz is definitely fusion so don't go looking for an authentic banh mi experience ;p but their offerings are all amazing... all the ones ive tried.

their kim chee fries are really great.

let me know which spots were hits for you dji!

Also going to check out burger priest which is their shake shack knock off. my buddy also recommended: 416 Snack Bar

Comment

• deadboy
                            • Jul 2013

Banh Mi Boys is quite good. 416 is also a nice place with a great vibe, but be careful how fast the cost of all those little dishes adds up.

A few other humble recommendations for all you who visit, all in or within a (pleasant) 30-minute walk of downtown:

Casual/cheap:
                            - RaviSoups: Soup? Yes. The corn chowder is especially great. Locations downtown next to Khao San Road, and Queen West near the Gladstone Hotel.
                            - Sukhothai: The (original) one in Regent Park is more casual than the one in St. Lawrence Market area, but both are great. If you're sketched out about visiting Regent Park... don't worry, it's nothing like an American housing project. You can also see some great contemporary ballet while you're in the neighbourhood http://colemanlemieux.com/citadel/events_performances/
                            - Porchetta & Co.: A bit further from downtown, but close to Nomad and Sydneys. Absolutely amazing porchetta sandwiches.
                            - Also if you're in town on a Saturday morning and have some time, head to the Evergreen Brickworks in the Don Valley. Farmer's market food (and a decent but overpriced restaurant), but it's a really beautiful venue in the middle of nature in the middle of the city.

Fancier/pricier/more 'sitdown':
                            - La Palette: Nothing amazing, just happens to be my favourite. Great atmosphere, tasty French food, $30/3-course prix fixe, serves horse, run by an awesome community activist type, rotating selection of Quebec beers. On Queen West near Banh Mi Boys.
                            - Black Hoof: Excellent small plates restaurant pretty much exclusively for carnivores. Damn good bone marrow. A bit easier to get into now that the hype has died down.
                            - Harlem/Harlem Underground: Caribbean and soul food with a nice vibe. Chicken and waffles are very good but not the best in town. The downtown location has good live music some nights.
                            - Union: A bit further from downtown but it's worth the walk to explore Queen West/Ossington, and it's just around the corner from Thomas Balint which is in the midst of rolling out SS14 stuff. Just really, really, really good food.
                            - Edulis: Haven't been there but I'm adding because I've heard a ton of good things and I'm super eager to try it. Only does tasting menus but apparently they are great.

Comment

• SuE
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by deadboy View Post
                              - Harlem/Harlem Underground: Caribbean and soul food with a nice vibe. Chicken and waffles are very good but not the best in town.
                              Where is the best in town: Stockyards? Drake Hotel?
                              One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• graydot
                                • Aug 2009

grand electric and electric mud are decent spots for tacos, and bbq, respectively (Queen West). bourbon selection is quite good too.

i also enjoy terroni, although maybe a bit over rated. the Queen West location is a little more low key.

edulis, hopgood's foodliner, ursa and acadia are all good if you're looking for a nice dinner, albeit more formal. hoopgood's has this amazing homemade chocolate bar, which is a must if you go (assuming it's still on the menu) and try to fish sandwich at acadia (again, assuming it's still being served). i've also heard good things about bar isabel, although have never been myself.

enRoute magazine does a best new restaurant feature every year which is worth checking out for recommendations. easy enough to find online.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎