• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

that would be correct, yes.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

"Wearing Lululemon speaks volumes about who you are as a woman: active, engaged, physical, spiritual and connected to your environment; the personification of the Yoga practice."

Hmmm, unfortunately, if you are in certain finer areas of Manhattan, wearing Lululemon speaks entirely different volumes
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SuE
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        "Wearing Lululemon speaks volumes about who you are as a woman: active, engaged, physical, spiritual and connected to your environment; the personification of the Yoga practice."

Hmmm, unfortunately, if you are in certain finer areas of Manhattan, wearing Lululemon speaks entirely different volumes
        Why only women though? C'mon Lululemon, don't forget the men as well

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• daou0782
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

that's hilarious, some people are so funny.

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

'Former CEO Chip Wilson, an avid snowboarder, said he came up with "Lululemon" because he delighted in the idea that trying to pronounce the name -- with its three syllables beginning with "l'" -- would pose a special challenge for the Japanese, whom he enjoyed making fun of. '
            From Huffington Post
            StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• curiouscharles
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
              'Former CEO Chip Wilson, an avid snowboarder, said he came up with "Lululemon" because he delighted in the idea that trying to pronounce the name -- with its three syllables beginning with "l'" -- would pose a special challenge for the Japanese, whom he enjoyed making fun of. '
              From Huffington Post
              this, among many other forms of evidence that Chip Wilson is the worst of the worst of culturally xenophobic [not to mention utterly misogynistic] Vancouverites.

a shame none of this came out until [mostly] after he had already handed over the company
              —
              -

Comment

• lionlimb
                • Feb 2013

HOLY
                SHIT

I can't even.
                not baller

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I find that Elena Dawson in general takes deconstruction to an uncomfortable level. Always tempted by her clothes and always walk away or think that if I'd buy it I'd have to take it to a taylor to do some finishing. Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton should work with her though.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• yack
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                    and how i feel about deconstruction in philosophy: there is a difference between being complex because the subject matter is tricky or the solution you offer is technical (scientific work is like that), and being obscure because it's easier than being clear and articulate (derrida and his gang are like that)
                    Originally posted by nevermind View Post
                    ^those names/movements only gain traction in an american setting don't they? as in, they were completely ignored in their home town of paris but were able market their wares elsewhere.

is this flourishing in an abroad setting characteristic of most the exports from france (foucault, barthes, d&g) ? or do they actually get some notice at home?

genuinely curious

(this is in a sense related to fashion)
                    I don't think it's at all related to "fashion-fashion", but this article might be a good introduction: http://www.openculture.com/2013/07/j...hilosophy.html

I quite like Searle, but Chomsky and Nussbaum are just boring as sin. I think it's clear that Chomsky hasn't bothered to try and understand Foucault, who actually writes pretty clear for the most part, but the public wanted something that sounded "deep" so according to him, 10% added in is BS.

On the other hand Zizek is the opposite, competent maybe 10% of the time, 90% BS. But I think we can learn from his popularity. Unlike Foucault, Zizek takes Derrida seriously, and even though I don't think people keep up with his nonsense, he does hold their attention because he's passionate and overexcited in his speech and his writing. The public doesn't really want to hear conservative philosophy (ie what people think as "analytic") , they probably want more farther reaching conclusions.

Also, simply having a huge beard, t-shirt, shorts and sandals vs the clean shaven, usual off the rack suit and ugly tie professor tends to make you more likable and less intimidating to students, which is I guess not very surprising. But when rating each other, students equated wearing a suit to higher intelligence vs casual look, as people often do.

With that said, Foucault is easily the sexiest philosopher in the past century, next to Adorno in a bathing suit. And raw hems has nothing to do with philosophy, what a daft comparison. Your views do inform everything you do in some way, but having raw hems is just a preference.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Hey, speak for yourself, my raw hems fit in quite neatly with my views on imperfections and fallibility of mankind.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SuE
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by yack View Post
                        I don't think it's at all related to "fashion-fashion", but this article might be a good introduction: http://www.openculture.com/2013/07/j...hilosophy.html

I quite like Searle, but Chomsky and Nussbaum are just boring as sin. I think it's clear that Chomsky hasn't bothered to try and understand Foucault, who actually writes pretty clear for the most part, but the public wanted something that sounded "deep" so according to him, 10% added in is BS...

With that said, Foucault is easily the sexiest philosopher in the past century

You should watch the classic Chomsky & Foucault debate

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• likeaboy
                          • May 2013

Is ccp "played out"? On instagram, roughly 90% of the ccp tags are with rich chinese people wearing them or posting about it. Dont get me wrong i have nothing against chinese ppl plus im not a big fan and dont have any ccp items.

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

what is 'played out' and why do you care?

Comment

• cjbreed
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by likeaboy View Post
                              Is ccp "played out"? On instagram, roughly 90% of the ccp tags are with rich chinese people wearing them or posting about it. Dont get me wrong i have nothing against chinese ppl plus im not a big fan and dont have any ccp items.
                              quoted for posterity. this post is perfect in its awfulness, and so indicative of the many things i hate about all the kids on my lawn.

edit - sorry if that seemed mean. nothing personal likeaboy

edit2 - our lawn
                              Last edited by cjbreed; 04-25-2014, 02:31 PM.
                              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• likeaboy
                                • May 2013

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                                what is 'played out' and why do you care?
                                Well ccp became so popular amongst the chinese in a very short amount of time. For example ccp items are always sold out quick compare to other designers.
                                And I dont care about them, why should i? I just care about whats going on in this avant garde fashion

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎