Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apathy!
    • Jan 2014

It'll be funny if A$AP ROCKY stops wearing rick owens and all the stylezeitgeist members become seen as passe.

Comment

• Null12
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
      It'll be funny if A$AP ROCKY stops wearing rick owens and all the stylezeitgeist members become seen as passe.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
        Your skin can and does absorb chemicals that leach off clothing. I don't go to coffee shops, but what's the warning for if not the plasticky lining of paper cups? Pesticide sprayed coffee?
        The process of roasting coffee creates carcinogens.

I wasn't actually sure what the cancer-causing thing, was so I googled it.

HTML Code:
        http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/acrylamide
        Apparently "acrylamide" is a common product created by roasting/cooking things, some sort of sugar + asparagine(?) reaction. Found on most "browned" products, it seems.

As for my skin absorbing chemicals (probably the dyes are sort of cancerous?), I feel like I'd still get cancer faster from breathing in urban air, no? All the pollution and stuff?
        Last edited by Lohikaarme; 06-15-2014, 02:15 AM. Reason: a bit longer

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Park Slope is normcore central. I'd rather see people try and fail stylistically than not try at all. Barf.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• LelandJ
            Banned
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
            As for my skin absorbing chemicals (probably the dyes are sort of cancerous?), I feel like I'd still get cancer faster from breathing in urban air, no? All the pollution and stuff?
            Causation doesn't happen in isolation. Cancer by a thousand cuts and carcinogens are everywhere. Food, water, chemicals in them are at the top of causation hierarchy if not obvious.

Urban air at Beijing levels would be very high on the list too, definitely more than wearing clothes dyed with carcinogens.

Another huge culprit very few people want to know about is electrosmog because technology's everywhere and addiction to cell phones.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
              • Mar 2009

Quite a few Helmut Lang references (Lee Roach, Christopher Raeburn), on the first day LC:M.
              Otherwise, 90's logo mania reigns (Christopher Shannon, Astrid Andresen).
              merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• the breaks
                • Sep 2007

Asap aside, isn't this inevitable? The RO look is already starting to be mainstream so to remain "avant garde" one must move on to something else. Should one give to shits about being avant garde, that is
                Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• DRRRK
                  • Aug 2009

The members that are wearing Rick Owens because of A$AP ROCKY will start feeling passé and rightfully so. The others won't give a shit indeed.

Comment

• volta
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
                    Another huge culprit very few people want to know about is electrosmog because technology's everywhere and addiction to cell phones.
                    cancer is in all of us (division of cells/mutated cells), it's a question about when or if our bodies will start losing the battle. all around us code and data is being written constantly, it's not unrealistic to expect that it will once write in error, thus starting the wrong process.

cancer rates have probably remained "fairly" consistent. it's not proved to becoming more common, instead, cancer diagnosis is becoming more common as life standards increase (diagnosis & life expectancy = higher risk of cancer). we also hear about it more, giving that effect.

i wouldn't blame it on technology, even though it is spiking cancer rates, but not in the way you think ;)
                    in fact, technology makes it possible to detect earlier, making survival rates higher.

why the hate?

fact: the naked mole rat is known (for now) to be immune to cancer.
                    Last edited by volta; 06-16-2014, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• apathy!
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
                      Asap aside, isn't this inevitable? The RO look is already starting to be mainstream so to remain "avant garde" one must move on to something else. Should one give to shits about being avant garde, that is
                      I agree and I don't care (I think).

I just find the idea that I could be walking down the street in a year's time and high school kids will think i'm late to a trend funny.

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Park Slope is normcore central. I'd rather see people try and fail stylistically than not try at all. Barf.
                        Normcore style is about being young, cool and good looking enough that you want the world to know you can still do it in ugly clothes without being identified as a normal. You think a black woman from a disadvantaged background wouldn't be seen as sloppy by a schoolteacher, potential employer, etc if dressed like that? For once the #priviledge tag seems warranted as that is all that is going on here.
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Shucks
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by volta View Post
                          fact: the naked mole rat is known (for now) to be immune to cancer.

i still prefer being human though.

Comment

• apathy!
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                            Normcore style is about being young, cool and good looking enough that you want the world to know you can still do it in ugly clothes without being identified as a normal. You think a black woman from a disadvantaged background wouldn't be seen as sloppy by a schoolteacher, potential employer, etc if dressed like that? For once the #priviledge tag seems warranted as that is all that is going on here.
                            Actually I think you're over-analysing and giving too much credit to "norm-core" people. These kinds of things really are just pretty mindless trends. kids see this stuff on tumblr--->the edgier ones start emulating it-->it reaches a critical mass and the cycle repeats. I don't think many of them would see what they wear as an expression of an ideology.

It's more complex if you want to look at the genesis of aesthetic.

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                            i still prefer being human though.
                            lol

edit: I hope that doesn't sound elitist. I certainly don't think anybody is superior for having an ethos to their wardrobe.
                            Last edited by apathy!; 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Actually I think you're over-analysing and giving too much credit to "norm-core" people. These kinds of things really are just pretty mindless trends. kids see this stuff on tumblr--->the edgier ones start emulating it-->it reaches a critical mass and the cycle repeats. I don't think many of them would see what they wear as an expression of an ideology.

It's more complex if you want to look at the genesis of aesthetic.

Do you seriously think I am saying people make choices consciously and clearly using rationality? Did the XXth century pass you by? Please
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                                I was merely making an aesthetic observation, and I stand by it. You, out of all people, should know how I form my judgements about people on a deeper level.

Also, normcore is a runaway term by now that has been untethered from its original meaning as formed by k-hole and merely denotes sloppy, ugly dressing and has nothing to do with youth. You should know this too.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎