• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SHYE_POSER
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by NOHSAD View Post
    @ Forget It

Nevertheless, Designer's like Adrian Savaugeand even Maxwell Osborne (1/2 of Public School NYC) are better examples than the former two mentioned.
    Kanye is more of a "designer" than this guy, which says a lot. He's just a schmoozer who would go to the opening of a public toilet if he had an invite. No design experience what so ever and has definatley not done any hard graft or training.
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

And oh, for the record I am NOT a designer..........Avant Garde Tailor please....

I need something to distinguish myself from he who shall not be named
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• timm3h
        • Mar 2011

Some thoughts on regional views on brand cohesion / identity / exclusivity after reading Faust's article on Undercover:

Almost all modern Japanese brands sharing CDG DNA make a killing off large-margin items like tees. All these brands essentially double-dip by appealing to two distinct demographics (fashion vs. street), sure there is some cross-pollination but by and large the camp that buys A doesn't buy B.

From my point of view this really doesn't fly in the west, just look at how much hate HBA gets for funding its avant-garde offerings with, for lack of a better word, "fuccboi fashion." (I know there are other reasons people dislike HBA but to me this is a big one.) Also look at the derision people have for customers who limit their buying from a brand to entry-level items (Gucci belts, LV wallets). Rick has to limit his graphic tees to DRKSHDW and BBS has to limit his to 11, imagine the backlash if they released this stuff mainline. Seems like this cultural norm allows Japanese brands to "get away with more" with regards to low-effort, high-margin items. Miyashita is selling a plain t-shirt with CURRY RICE in all caps for $70 and his customers aren't complaining.

I feel in general the eastern market has a less exclusive view on brand cohesion and identity. I don't have personal experience, but I feel that fans of, say, UC's more avant-garde offerings don't have as much hate for fans of UC's graphic tees as fans of BBS' more avant-garde offerings do for fans of 11. Would this be a fair assessment?
        Clothing deconstruction & review

Comment

• forget it
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by NOHSAD View Post
          The short version to this is, despite where you're from or your upbringing, if you like something, you'll find a way to learn more about it. Hell, Yamamoto grew up poor and had a rough childhood. Now, even at his age, still one of the best designers fashion has to offer.
          Definitely - I totally agree. My point is just that for some groups it's easier to endorse this sort of thing, I know from my experience at art school that most of the kids in the fashion program were from extremely affluent backgrounds. (However, obviously this is not empirical.) I'm not saying that people won't find a way to make it happen, but for some it's an easier link.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: I included Shayne Oliver and Virgil Abloh because their designs have such overt influences, specifically Abloh's "Pyrex" label named for the instrument you cook crack in, among the other garment-based references.

Originally posted by zamb View Post
          one could have a discussion as to whether black designers or black people are under represented in fashion and that's has its own issues.
          I think you may have misunderstood my post, because that's a part of what I was saying.. Obviously I'm not saying there haven't been successful black people in fashion, nor was I even making any remarks on Kanye's being a "designer" or "high fashion." I think I was perhaps I was not clear enough.

Comment

• Lex1017
            • Jul 2015

Rich and poor people are tech savvy. Kids should discover fashion by peaking an interest in what someone is wearing on the street and doing some research. The fact that they were interested in a piece of clothing alone says something. They should not discover fashion through Kanye West. As an aside, and from a skateboarder's perspective. I have never met a legitimate kid at the skatepark who said they got into skateboarding because of Ryan Sheckler (his TV show). Then again I would be embarrassed to say that too. People that get into anything stemming from pop culture never really last. They skim the top, figure out they're faking the funk and leave. People's fickle flavour of the month interest in pop culture is an attitude that they will carry over into everything else.

Comment

• Lex1017
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by forget it View Post
              Definitely - I totally agree. My point is just that for some groups it's easier to endorse this sort of thing, I know from my experience at art school that most of the kids in the fashion program were from extremely affluent backgrounds. (However, obviously this is not empirical.) I'm not saying that people won't find a way to make it happen, but for some it's an easier link.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: I included Shayne Oliver and Virgil Abloh because their designs have such overt influences, specifically Abloh's "Pyrex" label named for the instrument you cook crack in, among the other garment-based references.

I think you may have misunderstood my post, because that's a part of what I was saying.. Obviously I'm not saying there haven't been successful black people in fashion, nor was I even making any remarks on Kanye's being a "designer" or "high fashion." I think I was perhaps I was not clear enough.
              Funny you say that, another stolen idea from trap music common...

Comment

• patR
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by forget it View Post

1 - So, I think that Kanye West's foray into fashion will ultimately be a good thing.

2 - My point is - because of Kanye West, thousands of young people are now interested in fashion who may otherwise have not known about it.

1 - Stealing designs and press from real, talented designers is not a good thing.

2 - The problem I see with those kids is how they interpret fashion from guys like him (which is not very well interpreted if you look around. kind of embarrassing actually) and in turn, what sort of irks me, is how they portray it in the worst way possible to even more people who are not into fashion.

Also, just look at this:

Comment

• Lex1017
                  • Jul 2015

Originally posted by patR View Post
                  1 - Stealing designs and press from real, talented designers is not a good thing.

2 - The problem I see with those kids is how they interpret fashion from guys like him (which is not very well interpreted if you look around. kind of embarrassing actually) and in turn, what sort of irks me, is how they portray it in the worst way possible to even more people who are not into fashion.

Also, just look at this:

That second site mentions a website that discusses, hunts and covets h and m rip offs? Jeez.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Sweatpants are the new fashinz fo shizzle.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
                      • Dec 2013

Stylezeitgeist WAYWT 2016

Comment

• En.
                        • May 2015

All you had to do was size up on a sweatshirt.

Comment

• Dropt
                          • May 2009

These two articles are the most brainless writings I've read in a pretty long time.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                            Vegan Police
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Sweatpants are the new fashinz fo shizzle.
                            I was helping critique a sweatpants sample fitting last night before I got home...I expect them to retail at at least a few thousand dollars...
                            StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                              I was helping critique a sweatpants sample fitting last night before I got home...I expect them to retail at at least a few thousand dollars...
                              Yep. I was half-joking, half-crying. Double-faced cashmere sweatpants are the new fashion.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gregor
                                • Oct 2014

maybe it belongs in the sizing thread, but this gave me a good laugh

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎