X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
    Not going to click on the article but I'll go ahead and assume the person was selected for some other characteristic than their membership on SZ.
    He's obviously on there because I was such an excellent mentor to him... also, I've read like 37 millennial studies so I totally get it.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
      He's obviously on there because I was such an excellent mentor to him... also, I've read like 37 millennial studies so I totally get it.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
        • Jan 2007

The most upsetting part is that Fetty Wap has way more votes than Young Thug
        Originally posted by jogu
        i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Look at this collection of abominations. This is our culture?

http://www.dazeddigital.com/dazed100
          This is the post-ironic 90s garbage my generation has fallen in love with. Me opening that link was akin to Michael opening the paper sack on Arrested Development. Wales Bonner made some nice earrings I thought about copping (until somebody else bought them...), but everyone else... eh...
          who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Jun 2014

I understand poking fun but isn't this list composed of the same kind of names i-D and Dazed (& Confused) would've published in the early 90s? - DJs, teen idols, local clubs kids, neighborhood visual artists of the moments. How different really are Harley Weir, Reba Maybury, Stormzy, Grace Wales Bonner, Isamaya French, etc from Chloe Sevigny, Sade, Lil Kim, Madonna, Jane Kahn and more?

Comment

• Arkady
              • Apr 2011

Those people mostly had something to say, these people mostly have something to repeat.

I'm 26 and right in the center of their manifold -- these are hardly the people pushing culture towards any new kind of 'apogee' but they are certainly the ones who are loudest about what culture is. That's not the same thing.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                Those people mostly had something to say, these people mostly have something to repeat.

I'm 26 and right in the center of their manifold -- these are hardly the people pushing culture towards any new kind of 'apogee' but they are certainly the ones who are loudest about what culture is. That's not the same thing.
                What he said. Though I get what you are saying, 1994 - they publish what's trendy at the time. Which is the very sign of where the zeitgeist is at today
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                  "10 millennials are exposed to VCRs, you will never guess what happens next."
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• the breaks
                    • Sep 2007

I don't know what Dazed is and I don't know any of those people. Mixed feelings on how I should feel about that.
                    Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• DNHT
                      • Dec 2015

I'm not convinced anything has changed. Under my desk I have piles of magazines from the 80's, 90's and so on; and when you look back at copies of Dazed & Confused, i-D, The Face, Blitz, etc, the lists of 'who's hot right now [in 198x]' are full of people that no one ever heard of again. Chloe Sevigny, Madonna et al are there, but they're the minority among people who vanished without making their mark. (Such as Oldland Montano, Boys Wonder, Kiss AMC... to pick some random names who were darlings of 'lifestyle' media in days gone by)

Comment

• Arkady
                        • Apr 2011

I'm talking about the style of the artmaking or "culture shaping" and not the political substance. We are in a phase of sample culture hitting fever pitch, beginning as a concept in music production and fulminating up to fashion, film and everything else. While there's nothing explicitly wrong with that I usually don't find commentary as composition engaging. And while whatever "culture" is has always relied on reinterpretation and recombination of existing aesthetics / object-signifiers / shit, the twitching recursivity of the netkid / kopster consciousness just isn't particularly interesting.

And for what it's worth I don't think I give much of a shit about any so-called darlings of lifestyle media now or 25 years ago. Of course nothing's changed at root, except there are fewer holding companies and fewer asset managers.

Comment

• DNHT
                          • Dec 2015

Arkady, my point was absolutely that those darlings aren’t at all interesting, whether then or now. They’re the cultural filler packed around the always-small handful of people making something new or interesting. While sample culture may have reached a new high, I’m not convinced that the signal-to-noise ratio is any worse than it has been in the last 30 years. I’m trying to be optimistic, hoping that there’s undeveloped magic lurking in those lists of no-hopers…

Comment

• scanner
                            • Mar 2015

I want to also add, every single actor on there spawns from a mega celebrity. Every single one. And most of them have not even worked yet (unless you count modeling for Saint Laurent work).

While the 90's and 2000's had plenty of throwaway names, they all had to do something relatively tactile to reach some sort of notoriety, unlike today, where simply having the same last name as a mega celebrity (even if you aren't related) will get you followed.

There are plenty of well deserved and talented names on this list, even if i'm not a fan of any of them, but this mostly reads as a voting poll for who has the most instagram influence for the ages 13-19 crowd.

I'd also like to add, back in the day, picking up or even being interested in mags like dazed and i-d were not as simple as going through someones follow list on instagram. Most everyone belonged to some sort of alternative scene and saw or heard about it. Even if you just walked into a crown books or stumbled upon it at a borders, you would most likely not even glance at it unless you were already interested in fashion music or culture beyond rolling stone and spin.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

/\ well put (except the deserving part, but what do I know).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• vtlynch
                                • Sep 2015

And while whatever "culture" is has always relied on reinterpretation and recombination of existing aesthetics / object-signifiers / shit, the twitching recursivity of the netkid / kopster consciousness just isn't particularly interesting.
                                Could be due to the Internet, which has given us the most convenient method in existence of access information. I certainly agree that "recombination" seems to be a major theme at this point in time. I think it could be the initial, and basic, reaction to all that the Internet has given us access to.

But ultimately, as scanner said, this is nothing more than a popularity contest for teenagers.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎