• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patroklus
    Banned
    • Feb 2011

Yes please.
    Real morphing inkblot masks that MOVE from the HEAT of your BREATH! The ORIGINAL moving Rorschach mask — changing the face of costuming since 2009.

with moving ink

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

I think distressed leather has started to seriously gross me out. distressed anything is pretty vile, but leather is the worst

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by galia View Post
        I think distressed leather has started to seriously gross me out. distressed anything is pretty vile, but leather is the worst
        Are you talking strictly distressed, or treated/washed/hammered, etc.? I'll agree that pre-determined fading, tears, etc. aren't my thing, but I love when leather has been treated to make it look distinctive.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• galia
          • Jun 2009

Any distressing. I feel it's just fake age that's just for show and for lazy people. and it looks tacky. bleh I've become allergic

Comment

• michael_kard
            • Oct 2010

I usually like fabrics that have been distressed (eg washed canvas, or hammered leather), but not clothes that have been distressed post-production to make them look old.
            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• tron
              • Dec 2010

Any distressing. I feel it's just fake age that's just for show and for lazy people. and it looks tacky. bleh I've become allergic
              I can see what you mean and I agree in some sense but stuff like a1923 leather is so perfectly distressed I cannot deny it. Shredded shirts and such are over done and just tacky at this point.

+1 agreeing with michael
              "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• avout
                • Nov 2011

I'm with you. Wouldn't say I'm allergic, but it does feel contrived.

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

This is not about authenticity (god forbid, I find the concern ridiculous to begin with). Distressed stuff just looks tacky and cheap, especially leather.

Comment

• CHRIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2006

even rick's blistered leather?

i don't like my leather looking too smooth or too clean, on the contrary -- if there's no treatment of any kind, then it usually looks cheap or unnatural to me, like plastic

Comment

• theconsumer
                      • Feb 2009

I'm sorry that blistered lamb texture is so rough to your sensibilities. But please don't cry, it might stain your vachetta.

This is not about authenticity (god forbid, I find the concern ridiculous to begin with). Distressed stuff just looks tacky and cheap, especially leather.

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by CHRIS View Post
                        even rick's blistered leather?

i don't like my leather looking too smooth or too clean, on the contrary -- if there's no treatment of any kind, then it usually looks cheap, or unnatural to me, like plastic
                        Raw leather looks really good broken in. A few years ago at an antique store I saw a very old Schott that had started to fade on its creases like a denim jacket.

I think the coolest leather I ever saw was a different Schott perfecto that had apparently been boiled. It was stiff like cuir bolli and had shrank from a US 42 to approximately a US 36. Should have bought it, even if it was too big. I wonder if they still have it.

Comment

• tron
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                          Raw leather looks really good broken in. A few years ago at an antique store I saw a very old Schott that had started to fade on its creases like a denim jacket.

I think the coolest leather I ever saw was a different Schott perfecto that had apparently been boiled. It was stiff like cuir bolli and had shrank from a US 42 to approximately a US 36. Should have bought it, even if it was too big. I wonder if they still have it.
                          I can attest to this. I work with vintage clothing and quite often we have gorgeous Schott jackets pass through and they get the most beautiful fades / patina. Too bad none of them fit my giant frame / wardrobe.
                          "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• Patroklus
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2011

I've had a tagless antique store mystery perfecto for untold years that's starting to fade like that, although I think the leather will disintegrate before it reaches that point. It's something thinner than Schott, maybe goathide.

Comment

• CHRIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2006

yea, i know vanson or schott leathers are good, quality wise. i guess i understand what galia is saying about being lazy, because in order to get those to look good, they've gotta be worn to absolute shit and i just don't have the patience for that to be honest

i don't see anything wrong with treated leather, i prefer it because i don't personally live in my jackets, and so they'd look too 'new' for like, years

Comment

• Patroklus
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2011

you can cheat with breaking in leather same as denim: wear it in the shower, wear it while it dries until you can't stand it any longer. bam! big, sexy creases everywhere.

I once saw employees at a retail store doing something like this with a spray bottle to get the mannequins realistically creased clothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎