X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beyondthemeans
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by jimmycs View Post
    If that is so, count me as one because I am loosing interest for already having too many RO items. More of the similar is not a choice.
    That is actually what I started doing the last couple of years, buying a pair of shorts for winter and then a lighter version for summer. Pretty much wearing the same kind of things all year round. Whenever something gets worn out, I'm happy that I can easily replace it.
    Sounds super boring, but I found it very refreshing not having to think too much about what to wear.

Comment

• vah
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Caetano View Post
      But commercially, apparently, things haven't been going as alright as before. And probably we'll be seeing a new direction again.
      Should see how quickly the stores sell out some of their stock. At least here in London. Plus what Faust said.
      Commercially he's not doing bad at all according to the people I've talked to who are connected to the brand. Seems to basically be in a position financially where he can afford to experiment for multiple seasons without being too concerned with the commercial success of the collection, and the pre-co items still sells very well.

But yeah, runway-items are trickier; some people will rush to buy them. Always a bit conflicted of how much wear I'd get out of certain runway pieces - too bad considering that I do really like the new direction he's moving into.
      Last edited by vah; 08-27-2016, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• bigjus
        • Oct 2014

pants

until boris starts doing his p13 pants in a reguar fit again im out - those tight fit ones are awful ....

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by bigjus View Post
          until boris starts doing his p13 pants in a reguar fit again im out - those tight fit ones are awful ....
          RF is totally still a thing dude
          Originally posted by unwashed
          Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
          Originally posted by Ahimsa
          I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

A few months ago I was having this obsession with pleats (still going strong btw), and I bought some Pleats Please navy trousers on a whim. I figured they'd be a classier alternative to leggings to wear around the house. They are probably the thing I have bought which gets the most wear out of anything I've bought these past few years, aside from underwear and my Céline trio bag, which I wear every day. My husband hates them, but I find them so elegant for something so comfortable. I could probably sleep in them. I love how low maintenance they are, and how they manage to be a low-key statement piece. I'm completely in love, and I want to own more.

But now comes time for self-reflexion: am I just liking them because I'm getting older? I used to like PP but didn't want to wear it because that's what rich old ladies in the 7th arrondissement would wear in the late 90's or something, and I found the shapes unflattering. I still think it's not the most flattering silhouette, but it's actually quite forgiving in terms of hiding precise flaws and I don't know it just started to feel right. Have any of you had a similar experience? Like ageing into something you didn't like, then liked but couldn't wear, then just clicked with?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Nope, you are just getting old
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Caetano View Post
                Sure, but I was talking about cyclops items, thought they would disappear quite fast, but that's not the story.
                Yes, people already built a RO basic wardrobe, probably with tees and preco items, but runway and "interpreted"-runway pieces have been taking way longer to disappear from the racks, both on his store and elsewhere.
                I guess I am pointing this out cause people always talk around here about how free the man is, showing what he shows (I am particularly sided with those who are in love with the new direction, just so you know).
                But commercially, apparently, things haven't been going as alright as before. And probably we'll be seeing a new direction again.
                Ah, I see, that makes more sense now. I don't look at Rick's online store, so assumed everything from S/S 16 would be gone by now.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matglenn
                  • Jun 2016

@ Caetano

Ive been noticing this as well for a while now. Always assumed it had to do with upping the production of garments to accommodate for the audience's growing interest in the brand.

Comment

• Sombre
                    • Jan 2009

On the Rick Owens topic, this is likely to be a very unpopular opinion, but personally I've lost some respect for RO. The move to Moldova for production as well as the ongoing collaboration with Adidas did it for me. Even before the Moldova move his items had a hit or miss reputation (the wedges for men that MikeNouveau and a couple other members bought a few years ago being the most egregious). Moving from Italy didn't help, and then of course there's the ethical component that has been discussed numerous times - not to mention getting in bed with a company not known for their ethical treatment of workers either.

His importance to menswear and specifically to this sector of it is undeniaable. His popularity and visibility increased that of other established designers in this niche and made it possible for some of the new ones to exist. Without an icon like Rick Owens I think we can all agree we'd have far less to choose from and the industry would be far less successful. But for the reasons above I don't feel the same sense of wonder and awe I did when I first found out about his work, even if some of the collections have been quite good.

At the end of the day it's his business, those decisions seem to have gone well for him, and the loss of one admirer won't hurt him at all. I just personally feel like he's begun to embrace some of the consumerism he appeared to dislike a few years ago before celebrities started wearing his clothes en masse.
                    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• jimmycs
                      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Sombre View Post
                      On the Rick Owens topic, this is likely to be a very unpopular opinion, but personally I've lost some respect for RO. The move to Moldova for production as well as the ongoing collaboration with Adidas did it for me. Even before the Moldova move his items had a hit or miss reputation (the wedges for men that MikeNouveau and a couple other members bought a few years ago being the most egregious). Moving from Italy didn't help, and then of course there's the ethical component that has been discussed numerous times - not to mention getting in bed with a company not known for their ethical treatment of workers either.

His importance to menswear and specifically to this sector of it is undeniaable. His popularity and visibility increased that of other established designers in this niche and made it possible for some of the new ones to exist. Without an icon like Rick Owens I think we can all agree we'd have far less to choose from and the industry would be far less successful. But for the reasons above I don't feel the same sense of wonder and awe I did when I first found out about his work, even if some of the collections have been quite good.

At the end of the day it's his business, those decisions seem to have gone well for him, and the loss of one admirer won't hurt him at all. I just personally feel like he's begun to embrace some of the consumerism he appeared to dislike a few years ago before celebrities started wearing his clothes en masse.
                      Sombre, I pretty much agree with your viewpoint. RO, as with any other brands, seems to follow the inevitable footsteps of getting popular and large morphing into something different from the early days or at least loose something along the way. I do not doubt that RO is a big operation now and thus cannot function the way it used to be.

Comment

• bigjus
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                        RF is totally still a thing dude
                        sure , but ive not seen any in the new collections yet at the usual shops ...

Comment

• galia
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Nope, you are just getting old
                          Damn it !

Jk I actually like gettikg old

Comment

• DudleyGray
                            • Jul 2013

^It's like a neverending summer break from school where you have a summer job but the rest of your time you do whatever you want except now you have more money to do that with.

Originally posted by Sombre View Post
                            ...Even before the Moldova move his items had a hit or miss reputation (the wedges for men that MikeNouveau and a couple other members bought a few years ago being the most egregious)...
                            ...were you not aware of just how queer Rick is and how much those wedges make perfect sense, and that he'd always explicitly aimed at getting huge? Anyways, I think it's too much to expect a fashion label to embrace and espouse anticonsumerism, and it would be disingenuous of a label to do so; that responsibility falls on the (non)consumer, as much as fair labor laws falls on governments and the push for such things on citizens. Don't make shit, don't buy shit, get others to do the same, if those things are important to you.
                            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

The problem with the wedges for men was that they fell apart after one wear. They were constructed differently from the womens and had an issue because the wedge block was made of two pieces that came apart and the sole just kind of disintegrated iirc. Someone who actually owned a pair can correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• Raviel de Silverlake
                                • Jun 2015

Originally posted by galia View Post
                                Have any of you had a similar experience? Like ageing into something you didn't like, then liked but couldn't wear, then just clicked with?
                                Yes, denim. I wear black trousers, skinny/ slim/ regular or black khaki or whatever fabric you name it but not a single pair of jeans, or even black jeans. I didn't buy any denim jacket or denim shirt or jeans until I was 27 even though I grow up listening to Sex Pistol and love the punk subculture.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎