X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kunk75
    Banned
    • May 2008

i think wearing mall brands is more taboo now.

Comment

• Sombre
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Mung_city View Post
      Something i have thought about for a while, but have a hard time exploring or understanding, is the "vibe" i get from certain clothing.

Why does a shirt from H&M feel lifeless, compared to another basic t made by wings and horns? There is something very different to me, and its not based on price.

It's also not just about design, it's about quality and craftsmanship and a hands on approach that fast fashion doesn't ever seem to have. I've noticed a few designers that gave me this feeling just from trying on their clothing. Patrik Ervell, Old Geller stuff, Odyn Vovk, Wings and horns, Viridi anne, and some no-name brands that i have found just tinkering through consignment shops etc.

This is kinda like a clothing philosophy, but i really think there is a different energy with clothes made with intention and executed for the sake of enjoyment and craft rather than for business. Energy transference possibly?

Can anyone add to this, or am i just a dirty hippy?
      The problem with this is that you almost always know what the brands are beforehand, so you already have a bias before examining the item. I wonder if people would feel the same if the labels were removed, or if you swapped the labels of an H&M and Wings and Horns shirt.
      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Blacknight
        • May 2013

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
        The problem with this is that you almost always know what the brands are beforehand, so you already have a bias before examining the item. I wonder if people would feel the same if the labels were removed, or if you swapped the labels of an H&M and Wings and Horns shirt.
        I was just thinking the same thing. Without a doubt, I do hold a bias when going into a consignment store, for example.

I too get noticeably different "vibes" when trying on various brands, though I find that the feeling itself is typically related to my personal understanding of the designer and their motives behind the creation of a certain piece. Of course it is also that, in our current fast fashion world, those with an eye for quality craftsmanship are able to recognize and appreciate the thought put into a piece.

I've just recently built up the courage to come out of the lurking cave and begin posting, never the less, I'm enjoying these discussions so far.

Comment

• k3mist
          • Apr 2013

the fact is we all categorise 'quality' into labels. The H&M label has poor quality..a Chanel tag has couture 'quality'. But exactly what makes a garment superior to another? Most people dont know, and i dont expect everyone to know. The labels helps people out, pretentiously or not.

Fashion design, like industrial design, is one that needs extra time to examine because its so seamlessly integrated into our society that we dont take a second look.

This talk about quality is not too different from the 'Made in China/Italy/Japan/France/USA' label. every country of production will instil a different price even if the same person makes it with the exact same materials in each country.

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by k3mist View Post
            every country of production will instil a different price even if the same person makes it with the exact same materials in each country.
            levels of quality can vary even within the same factory. contractors will produce according to contracted specs. furthermore, goods of equal quality, produced in the same factory, under different labels can be marketed at different price points.

Comment

• KodakII
              • Sep 2008

It struck me, in order to win a CFDA award, one must be:
              a. "Cute," white and gay or
              b. "Cute," and white gay friendly +
              c. Design boring clothes

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ Pretty accurate analyses. There used to be exceptions, like Cloak.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mung_city
                  • Jul 2012

how do you even know if someone is gay friendly? i don't remember geller speaking about it, and he certainly doesn't design boring clothes

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

LVMH acquires a stake in J.W. Anderson and hires him to helm Loewe. A classic case of too much too soon. Ann was right, it seems that today designers are either hitting a glass ceiling or get unrealistic, and therefore unsustainable success virtually immediately.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• KodakII
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mung_city View Post
                      how do you even know if someone is gay friendly? i don't remember geller speaking about it, and he certainly doesn't design boring clothes
                      My point is that the CFDA plays to a certain audience and it is not too difficult to see a pattern to their award recipients.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      LVMH acquires a stake in J.W. Anderson and hires him to helm Loewe. A classic case of too much too soon. Ann was right, it seems that today designers are either hitting a glass ceiling or get unrealistic, and therefore unsustainable success virtually immediately.
                      Too much to soon sounds about right. He's already designing the Versace Versus line in addition to his own line.

Comment

• delicious_not
                        • Dec 2012

if the boutique wants 2000$ for this ro jacket now
                        and maybe they'll sell it with a 70% discount later
                        how much they paid for this jacket then smh

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

In the recent New Yorker article on Andrew Rosen, who runs Theory (and Helmut Lang), the author called Helmut Lang a German designer.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xeraphim
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by delicious_not View Post
                            if the boutique wants 2000$ for this ro jacket now
                            and maybe they'll sell it with a 70% discount later
                            how much they paid for this jacket then smh
                            at 70% off retail you are basically paying wholesale pricing.

at that price the store makes a loss on the product.

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              In the recent New Yorker article on Andrew Rosen, who runs Theory (and Helmut Lang), the author called Helmut Lang a German designer.
                              a mistake which pretty much doesn't matter AT ALL to anyone currently buying helmut lang

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

True, but they pride themselves on fact-checking.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎