X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKA*NYC
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by christianef View Post
    i never said it doesnt mature, i said to state that if ones style matures = it makes it better is a flawed argument. cobain is a huge style icon did his style ever mature. if it did would it have made it better. all the magician did, i assume, is conform to the set aesthetic here and buy a julius blazer. personally that doesnt mean he matured at all...its not a more honest reflection of his soul it just indicates he copies the genral aesthetic mindset here. which was asho`s advise. copy how we dress here and we`ll mistake it for maturing style wise. seem`s like stabbing mother nature to death with an ann demeulmeester scissor necklace.
    this is an interesting argument but i think it's a mistake to conflate style (kurt cobain, hedi slimane's shirtless twinks, rock n' roll, etc.) with fashion (which is ostensibly the product of a fashion designer's intellectual vision, ie. garment) at least as it's conventionally treated here on sz. there are of course exceptions...
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• pepé le pew
      • Jun 2008

Yes. Surely it all comes down to the appreciation of garments?
      Let's not forget that Hedi and the likes are artists and not just simple street style photographers... You'd never see one of those shirtless teenagers in real life and think "wow, he's really pulling that shirtless thing off!"
      Last edited by pepé le pew; 10-12-2009, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• christianef
        • Feb 2009

i think the entire point of the waywt is to conflate the two. it doesnt all come down to appreciation of the garment that`s what the designer posts are for...here, its the marriage bewteen the garment (or in the shirtless TWINKS ((ahah i dont know this word)) case lack their of.) and the individual that we are measuring and taking into account. bascially what this idea of `pulling it off`comes down to. (and the twinks were an extream example.) i didn`t like the blue doc look either, i just took issue with how asho bascially wrote off one`s ability to pull off a casual laid back look. furthermore, i fully agree ones style can mature - i think from older pictures ive seen of snfu he is a good example of how ones style can mature and progress naturally...the addict also....many of the dior homme to rick owens and ccp people...but if youre aesthetic gets deeper and darker and the cuts get sharper and the fabrics get treated better and youre still the same idot who used to wear blue docs. i dont think youve matured or accomplished anything. at the same time if cobain started wearing rick owens medges and skorts i would think he looked like a big doofus. some people have it, some garments dont. no body set it would be easy. BRACE YOURSELF:

Comment

• genevieveryoko
          • Sep 2009

duh christianef.

appreciation of garments + style + a real human person behind it all...who ideallly can handle any criticism thrown their way, and also says things they mean, eloquently...i guess it is all a matter of maturity.

lamy is irrelevent, don't be irreverent.
          http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Oh weh mir
            • Oct 2008

Since the my photos are always grainy and fucked here is detail to try to atone for it. Thanks for the kind words about the silhouette and whatnot.

And since I that was all the way back on saturday, here's today at this very second: as piss as usual, grain and all. I usually don't post here this much but I'm having a really swell day. Garment bag pull string for a necklace... Gotta start cutting corners somewhere.
            Originally posted by AVALANCHE
            is this an example of how not to wear ccp?

Comment

• asho
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
              this is an interesting argument but i think it's a mistake to conflate style (kurt cobain, hedi slimane's shirtless twinks, rock n' roll, etc.) with fashion (which is ostensibly the product of a fashion designer's intellectual vision, ie. garment) at least as it's conventionally treated here on sz. there are of course exceptions...
              I think its an interesting argument too. Though I think it has legs, I'm not sure if mr cobain is a great example, his untimely death and all, kieth richards could be better.

For the record I have no real issue with casual relaxed fits. I just think that they should be interesting. this does not mean label after label after label.

Comment

• asho
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Oh weh mir View Post
                luc coat, luc knit, ro tank, bbs pants, ccp gloves, ro boots.

How do you find the luc knit coat? I have always wanted one but was warned off by a retailer who said they loose their shape and go saggy in the armpits.

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Well, if you find Xerox's outfit a "very understated striking ensemble" or style inspiring, hats off to you. To me it was just what I said it was.

Undoubtedly, one can fail miserably dressed had to toe in designer wear - talk about an irrelevant point - that's not what I said though. Do you honestly think fashion is about name dropping? If so, that is rather insulting (to my intelligence). The reason we are on a fashion forum is exactly because we find high fashion (a certain kind of fashion, mind you) superior to everyday wear, which is really what Xerox posted. WAYWT, as you say yourself, is to see how these garments translate (successfully or unsuccessfully) in real life. Personally, I just don't comment if I don't like an entire outfit (I may comment if I could suggest an improvement), but I can certainly see where asho was coming from and I only commented on XenoX as a response to you.

And to say that style does not mature is such an obviously flawed statement that I don't even know if it's worth addressing.
                  I mean no disrespect here, I agree with pretty much everything you said, however I disagree somewhat with this one point. The fact that Xerox sought out and discovered this forum shows at least some awareness of the kind of high fashion associated with SZ. I live in Australia and am familiar with the labels he's wearing. I can almost guarantee that there's no one else wearing saba and cotton on in that manner. Australia is very slow to adopt much of the fashion some of you guys in bigger cities may take for granted, or even consider mainstream streetwear. I live in Adelaide and almost no one dresses like that here (although it is definitely now more common in Melbourne and Sydney). Anyway, compared to what standard streetwear is here, I think Xerox's outfit very much shows an awareness and nod to many of the designers prominently featured here, only adapted to a realistic high school kid budget. Does that mean it should be posted on a high end fashion forum? Well I don't know, but at least he tried and contributed some good photos, and I'm sure he'll take on board the advice and constructive criticism some of the people here gave him. Having said that, I can also understand that some guys who have been contributing on here for much longer than myself can get frustrated with such things

Comment

• black beach
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    The reason we are on a fashion forum is exactly because we find high fashion (a certain kind of fashion, mind you) superior to everyday wear, which is really what Xerox posted. WAYWT, as you say yourself, is to see how these garments translate (successfully or unsuccessfully) in real life. Personally, I just don't comment if I don't like an entire outfit (I may comment if I could suggest an improvement), but I can certainly see where asho was coming from and I only commented on Xerox as a response to you.
                    i think calling out the cheap brands a poster's wearing is like asking everyone in head-to-toe ccp, "what do you do for a living?" it's easy and, ostensibly, not what sz is about.

the poster in question wouldn't be here if he didn't find something aspirational in the photos/discussion. worse, this sort of stuff sets a precedent.

Comment

• Oh weh mir
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by asho View Post
                      How do you find the luc knit coat? I have always wanted one but was warned off by a retailer who said they loose their shape and go saggy in the armpits.
                      That's terrible, completely wrong and I have to be honest, I would be surprised if they still have a job in retail... I've been wearing the shit out of this coat and it looks the same as it did last winter. no sagging. some creasing/bunching at the elbow but I actually like it that way. Lable has always held up beautifully for me (exception being a silk sweater, but that mostly my fault). I know that A has one, either from the same year or a the year after. It's almost identical, just a little darker and has a notched collar that's meant to serve some purpose. Great coat. I think it was a 46 or a 48.

Comment

• BSR
                        • Aug 2008

Ann, Drkshdw, RO, V-A (thx dndy), CDiem, MA+
                        Last edited by BSR; 10-12-2009, 06:03 PM.
                        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• asho
                          • Nov 2007

That's terrible, completely wrong and I have to be honest, I would be surprised if they still have a job in retail... I've been wearing the shit out of this coat and it looks the same as it did last winter. no sagging. some creasing/bunching at the elbow but I actually like it that way. Lable has always held up beautifully for me (exception being a silk sweater, but that mostly my fault). I know that A has one, either from the same year or a the year after. It's almost identical, just a little darker and has a notched collar that's meant to serve some purpose. Great coat. I think it was a 46 or a 48.
                          It was his shop... maybe it was a particular model. Anyway that's great news, come next winter I'll be gunning for one. Shame about seasons as I'd be a 46 or 48 and fit the one at A.

Comment

• BBYY
                            • Mar 2008

Paris Proxy Service

Comment

• Oh weh mir
                              • Oct 2008

^ I don't think I look anything like her.

Comment

• Magician
                                • Jul 2008

Thank you for the warm comments. I have had spotty internet access, but I continue to at least check the waywt here, and have found it very inspiring. While I enjoy some of the personalities and cultural commentary on styleforum it is invariably SZ I come to for fashion. I would certainly agree that my style has matured, thanks in no small part to a change of perspective both geographic and mental.

Christianef you're a prick. I've actually been spending a lot less money on fashion, having gotten rid of some high budget pieces that dont work for my personal style (eg rick sneakers) Like Xenox Im 20 and i try to make my living through performance so i have to try and look stylish on limited means (and experience).

Hers a pic of the coat in action.
                                Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎