Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merkuri
    • Sep 2009

I think I am just trying to be less label conscious as I have built a kind of one-dimensional wardrobe and I invariably ignore many pieces based on the respective history of the designer's work on the whole. too often i am liking something but think, "I will pass because this is _______".

I actually tried that helmut jacket at century and scoffed at the $1900 srp but it was there for $349 and if I needed another leather, i may have cast aside my preconceived ideas of helmut lang lite and grabbed it.

I personally have never understood why they continued the label because the type of people that would generally buy it would have little to no idea about old helmut and the failings of it at a retail level seem to prove me right.

Comment

• rocknrollnigger
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by anatomicut View Post
      is it RICK OWENS scuba jk.
      right?
      Yeah its another scuba iteration. The photo lost some clarity when I scanned it in

Comment

• Eye
        • Jan 2010

I must confess that i've never been an hl expert, neither than a fan. I did see the old runways, but i used to prefer slimanes work than hl's one. Anyway, i bought this jacket for a truly good price, with the aim to try the designers leathers (my first one).
        And i felt in love with it. But i understand you think its a fake, even if in this case it could have been a lagerfeld for me.
        WTB : Incarnation leather jkt szXL / Augusta green ankle boots sz42

Comment

• mononon
          • Sep 2009

baizilla -- dope man!

eye -- i try not to like fake HL, but the jacket is nice and simple and looks good on you
          calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• mrbeuys
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Eye View Post
            And i felt in love with it. But i understand you think its a fake, even if in this case it could have been a lagerfeld for me.
            Mate, that's ok. If you like, it wear it, etc. Old discussion...

But I think we care as much about the provenance and concept behind the clothing as we care about what it actually looks like or what it is like to wear (the CCP Fiberglass coat or RO Garbage bag boots being an example).
            Sometimes far more. I know this is terribly elitist and really only my point of view, but for me it's what this place is about, if you just want to post stuff you feel comfortable in or fell in love with, SuFu strikes me as a more fitting place. I am not trying to turn you off, but for a first post, this doesn't reflect much insight into SZ I am afraid.
            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Just to be sure, I am aware I am being a bit of a dickhead here, but Lang is special for me.
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• casem
                • Sep 2006

I think the jacket looks great Eye. Before I read the posts about Helmut I was sure it was that CCP jacket that BSR has. It would have been great if you didn't list the designer to see all the compliments you would have gotten before you revealed it's identity.
                music

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                  I think the jacket looks great Eye. Before I read the posts about Helmut I was sure it was that CCP jacket that BSR has. It would have been great if you didn't list the designer to see all the compliments you would have gotten before you revealed it's identity.
                  I know, hence my comment about me being a dickhead. It looks good, but I can't like it knowing what it is ...
                  Stupid, huh?

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

Well, I'm torn, I have a soft spot for Helmut too, he was the designer who really got me interested in fashion and I cherish the OG Helmut Lang clothes I have. I was pissed when theory bought it and turned it into what it has become. But, at this point the fact that the line carries the name Helmut Lang is meaningless to me. It's just another midrange "co-op" brand that sometimes produces good designs that happen to carry the name of a now retired great fashion designer.

I also think it can be dangerous to buy too much into the myth of a fashion designer. Isn't this the ultimate marketing genius (and what's f*cked up about) fashion? Feeling an emotional connection to the designers world, the genius of the artist, causes us to pay $$$ to buy a piece of that world. Of course the average SZer is conscious of this and generally avoids getting scammed by fragrances/accessories that have little to do with a designers vision. But isn't the same kind of loyalty (or disloyalty) demonstrated above to a designer a similar line of thought?

I dunno, I've been reading too many anti-capitalist manifestos lately
                    music

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                      I dunno, I've been reading too many anti-capitalist manifestos lately
                      Uhm, isn't my approach the opposite of buying into the "capitalism" of branding, or the cashing in on a name in this case? I mean, I wouldn't ever buy a new piece of Lang.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the 'disloyalty' bit.

Comment

• Johnny
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                        Mate, that's ok. If you like, it wear it, etc. Old discussion...

But I think we care as much about the provenance and concept behind the clothing as we care about what it actually looks like or what it is like to wear (the CCP Fiberglass coat or RO Garbage bag boots being an example).
                        Sometimes far more. I know this is terribly elitist and really only my point of view, but for me it's what this place is about, if you just want to post stuff you feel comfortable in or fell in love with, SuFu strikes me as a more fitting place. I am not trying to turn you off, but for a first post, this doesn't reflect much insight into SZ I am afraid.
                        don't you fall in love with stuff too, just for different reasons? and when it comes to clothes and fashion, isn't the fact they look good (rather than ignoring the fact that they look shit) quite a good reason to fall in love with something?

Comment

• mrbeuys
                          • May 2008

Know what? Nevermind.
                          I shouldn't have had all that sake.
                          And the point I am trying to make makes me sound like a 14 year old. Can't win this and don't care to. You are all right.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                            don't you fall in love with stuff too, just for different reasons? and when it comes to clothes and fashion, isn't the fact they look good (rather than ignoring the fact that they look shit) quite a good reason to fall in love with something?
                            We've discussed this several times. There is no right answer. It depends how you look at it. For me it boiled down to something like, "I don't give a shit if Dolce and Gabbana make a perfectly beautiful leather jacket tomorrow, I still won't buy it because of what they stand for." Same story with fake HL. If anything, I see it as a positive thing - narrows down my range of options! I actually like the fact that I have a focused view on fashion when it comes to dressing myself (not when it comes to thinking about fashion as a whole, where my scope is much wider, and I wish that many other people on the forums would share this sentiment - it would make it a more interesting place).
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

Easy with the D&G bashing...

Comment

• snafu
                                • Apr 2008

haha mrbeuys you gotta stand up for YOUR own team eh

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎